Pecks Lake local knowledge help

I'm planning to trailer my boat up from Boca on Tuesday to see for myself how good this spanish mackeral fishing is for myself.  I plan to fish for Macks in the morning and then maybe try for King Fish after.  How deep of water do the Kings hold in that area? Is there a place to catch live bait in the area?

Also I'm going to be launching at Sandsprint boat ramp. Are there any fees to launch there?

Replies

• Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 797 Officer
    Sandsprit Park along with all boat ramps on the Treasure Coast are free to launch and free to park.  That is the closest ramp to the inlet.  If you are fishing for Spanish Mackerel be sure to bring about a dozen per person of the 3/8 ounce Gulfstream green glass minnow jigs.  Bright green with a reflective tin foil type skirt.  I use 60 lb. Mono leader and rarely get bit off although the skirts get stripped.  If you are not catching, reel faster.  Let it sink to bottom before starting, the bigger ones are deeper.  Need plenty of ice.  Look up Martin County reefs and try Bullshark Barge or Sandpile for live bait.  Kings are not my area of expertise but I'm hearing 60 feet over the reefs.  Check the seas before coming up, the seas might be a bit rough.
  • b1gdog83b1gdog83 Posts: 131 Deckhand
     If you are fishing for Spanish Mackerel be sure to bring about a dozen per person of the 3/8 ounce Gulfstream green glass minnow jigs.  Bright green with a reflective tin foil type skirt.  
    I was checking to which local tackle store would be on the way to the ramp to pick up the Gulfstream Jigs. I saw there is a Gas Station with DP's Bait & Tackle inside.  It says they open at 5am so I could stop on the way to ramp. Do you know if they sell the Gulfstream Lures there?
  • robalorogrobalorog Posts: 502 Officer
    The gas station will have a few different casting baits for macks. Good luck
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 797 Officer
    b1gdog83 said:
     If you are fishing for Spanish Mackerel be sure to bring about a dozen per person of the 3/8 ounce Gulfstream green glass minnow jigs.  Bright green with a reflective tin foil type skirt.  
    I was checking to which local tackle store would be on the way to the ramp to pick up the Gulfstream Jigs. I saw there is a Gas Station with DP's Bait & Tackle inside.  It says they open at 5am so I could stop on the way to ramp. Do you know if they sell the Gulfstream Lures there?
    I'm not sure, I would call them, you can also use Bucaneer brand.  Also on the way is Fish Heads which is a much larger bait shop and the owner is more familiar with what you will need.  It is accessible by car and also by boat at the south side of the south Sailfish marina.  It's no more than 200 yards from the boat ramp.