Downsize from a 210 Moccasin?

TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 505 Officer
edited December 2018 in Egret Boats #1
Here is the deal... I'm moving from one house with a HOA to another neighborhood with the same HOA rules... no boats.  For the last 4 years, I have dealt with storing the boat 20-25 min from my house.  Since it can't be parked overnight at my house, this creates a problem with charging batteries after a day's use and also adds 1:15 to my day every time I use it due to the commute and putting the cover on and off.

The new house has a 19.5' deep 3-car garage that I'm sure I can fit something like a 18' skiff with sponsons and a removable tongue.  So, the decision I have to make and I'm in no hurry really to make it... is do I sell my beloved Moccasin 210 and buy a smaller skiff that saves me a a lot of time and headache?  I would love to walk out to my garage right now and polish something, take care of something, check the tire's air pressure, lube the hubs, whatever but I am not going to drive an hour roundtrip and do it in a storage lot.  Bottom line... I really, really, really like the idea of the boat being in my garage.

Having said all that, I know the Moccasin 210 is alot bigger boat than say a 189 much less a HB Marquesa or other 18' skiff.  

I'm currently leaning away from the 189, 190 Moccasin, or 167 for two reasons.... I think the 189 / 190 may be just a few inches too long and if I'm buying a 17' skiff like the 167 then that really changes what I will be doing.  If I'm buying a small skiff or anything smaller than my 210 then I believe that means I'm going to be doing more flats fishing and less to no reef / offshore so I don't want any hull slap.

My frequent fishing trips include outside flats of Biscayne Bay, running from Chokoloskee down to one of the rivers like Lostmans, Flamingo up to Shark River, some reefs off Key Largo (guess that would stop).  The Moccasin excels at those 20-30 mile runs on the outside.  Though, I'm not sure if I have refined my trips around what the boat is capable of doing or if I would continue to want fish like this.  

Maybe this post is more me thinking out loud and a form of therapy than expecting an epiphany but hey, let me hear it.

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,067 Officer
    You need to buy a house where you can do what you want to do. Those people with the associations don't understand that this country was discovered by a guy on a boat. Also, anyone of those board members that ever ate a fish sandwich...That fish in the fish sandwich was caught on a boat. When the Pilgrims came over on the Mayflower, yeah they were on a boat too. Don't forget that guy that put all those animals in a boat, yeah....Noah he had a boat too. 

Yep...I'm sticking with you need a different house.... Pete 
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 505 Officer
    I hear you Pete but that’s not happening.  Balancing kids school with my commute in south FL means I’m living in a gated HOA hood that doesn’t allow boats  Ironic that I can park a 84 Chevy with mismatched rims and doors in the driveway but I can’t park a flats boat no matter how pretty 
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 226 Deckhand
    Get on the Board for the HOA.....may fix some of your issues.

Can you turn the boat sideways in your garage?  I have my 21' Egret in a 2.5 car garage sideways

edited December 2018 #5
    Joe, if I can fit mine like that it will be great!  Can you measure your garage and tell me how deep it is and how wide your garage door is. I'm guessing the door width will be the same standard size but I'm wondering if your garage is deeper?

Using the pythagorean theroem it looked like it would be a tighter fit.

How do you do the final manuevering without hitting something? Do you have dolly of some sort? 
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 226 Deckhand
    Garage is 21' deep and garage door is standard width.  I put a piece of plywood on the back wall so the boat isn't bumping the concrete wall and I put tape down on the floor so I can push the boat in at the proper angle (I just follow the tape line with the trailer wheels as I'm pushing it in the garage).
    Your garage is 2ft deeper than mine.  I guess I will just see how it works when I move in and make a decision from there.
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    Just thinking out loud but what about busting out a section of the back garage wall to make it fit if needed. Do it in a way that you can repair back garage wall if you go to sell house. 
    lowerkeys said:
    Just thinking out loud but what about busting out a section of the back garage wall to make it fit if needed. Do it in a way that you can repair back garage wall if you go to sell house. 
    That won't work due to layout; I don't think using the guest room closet to make room for the outboard is an option.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,345 Officer
    Installed!

• BlindboyBlindboy Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Check the door hight to. My 210 has a windshield, but the 8' power pole is highest point. It barely gets under the open door top edge.   
  • NinjahGooseNinjahGoose CaryPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    Blindboy said:
    Check the door hight to. My 210 has a windshield, but the 8' power pole is highest point. It barely gets under the open door top edge.   
    I also have a power-pole on my Tidewater 1910.  Lower the power-pole so the top is even or lower than the engine, then once you cross the threshold use the remote to raise the pole.  Since I tow with a 4Runner the suspension drops too much for me to fully raise the power-pole to its neutral position once I'm in the garage.  I have to unhook from the 4Runner and jack up the front (which lowers the rear).
    I think I can get the power pole to work by partially lowering it to clear the door.  I also think I'm going to need one of those electric dollys to maneuver the boat once the stern is in the garage.  No way will I be able to angle it by myself using the truck without hitting something.

Here is the house

I guess it depends on how much heat I get from the wife

Congratulations on the house it looks beautiful. I like the drawings, you are so organized. I'm just wondering why there isn't a couple of bicycles, a lawn mover, ladders, 5 gal. buckets, coolers and the all important [email protected] on the floor. B)
    Good luck with the EVO. You'll be selling it quicker than you bought it compared to your Moccasin!
    You may need a kidney transplant also! B)
    Congratulations on the house it looks beautiful. I like the drawings, you are so organized. I'm just wondering why there isn't a couple of bicycles, a lawn mover, ladders, 5 gal. buckets, coolers and the all important [email protected] on the floor. B)
    There is in real life... 3 bikes, a pressure washer, half a dozen buckets, coolers, etc.  
    FlatsBoy said:
    Good luck with the EVO. You'll be selling it quicker than you bought it compared to your Moccasin!
    You may need a kidney transplant also! B)
    May be right... could go Marquesa or a 189 or Moccasin 190 but the 189/190 are definitely wider... shouldn't be an issue.
    Of course, I'm going to try to fit the 210 before making a hasty decision but until I close on the house, this is all I can do..
    The 189 or Marquesa is a better option if the Moccasin 210 doesn't fit...
    edited December 2018 #21
    Phil, your comment about the Evo beating the hell out of you... is that directed towards just the Evo X with 2 degree deadrise or the Evo with 12 degree also?  The Evo 12 degree is the 4" shorter than a Marquesa with the same beam (not sure at waterline) and same 12 degree deadrise and I like the layout better.

I know neither one will ride like a 189.
    edited December 2018 #22
    I would go ride them and see for yourself how they run. Then you can make your own decision. O bring your Moccasin and run them side by side to see the difference.
    FlatsBoy said:
    I would go ride them and see for yourself how they run. Then you can make your own decision. O bring your Moccasin and run them side by side to see the difference.
    If I can fit my Moccasin, I'm keeping it.  I need to run a 189/Moccasin 190 beside it.
    I'm going to say that because of the difference in the bottom the 189 Egret will ride better than a Moccasin 190.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    Plus 2 on joining the HOA and getting boats approved. I did that. If you want a ride on a Marquesas I have one here. Not gonna get into what's better. They all have trade offs. 
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Plus 2 on joining the HOA and getting boats approved. I did that. If you want a ride on a Marquesas I have one here. Not gonna get into what's better. They all have trade offs. 
    sent you a PM
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 207 Deckhand
    You will robably have to retro fit your trailer with a swing out tongue  but it should fit
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
    Last-Cast said:
    You will robably have to retro fit your trailer with a swing out tongue  but it should fit
    It already has a swing tonque.

Now that I'm in the new house, I can say that I can fit it in the garage. The wife is not happy and I'm spending nearly $3,000 on overhead storage to free up the floor but it is doable.  The swing tonque allows me to push the boat further into the corner freeing up 2-3' of space but is a pain in the **** to put the pin back in at 4:00 AM without making a lot noise.
    Where's the pictures of the masterpiece!
    edited February 25 #30
    FlatsBoy said:
    Where's the pictures of the masterpiece!
    Give me a few weeks.  The overhead storage goes in the 1st week of March, and then I need to reorganize the stuff.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 665 Officer

The wife is not happy and I'm spending nearly __ on ___ to ___ but it is doable.  
      Boat ownership in a sentence!