11/30 mayport offshore bottom fishing

It's been awhile since we've had a good weather forecast. Got to the launch at 0500 and saw that most of the big boys had come out to play. Even saw one of my dream boats, a 34 sea vee. Headed out in the darkness at 0545 and was treated to flat seas. Got out to 120 feet and the bite was ok, a little slow. We picked up a few trigger and a few beeliners. One vermillion measured 19 inches. Decided to run another 5 miles to a ledge in 134 feet. Picked up a limit of red porgys really fast and couldn't stop catching anything but porgys so I decided to push out another 4 miles to 145 feet. Caught a few more trigger but it was too slow for me so I wanted to run back west to the first spot we fished. Caught and released big reds all day, and was surprised when my brother brought up a nice gag. Ended up with 13 trigger 10 vermilion 9 porgys 2 almacos and 1 gag. Need help identifying the last fish. It kind of looked like a tilefish but I thought they were a deep water fish. 

Replies

• jimmy06jimmy06 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    Sand tile fish. Counts as one of your grouper in the grouper agg of 3. Very good eating. Has a lobster taste to it. Has a row of pin bones you need to either pull out or cut out. 
  • bigslickbigslick Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Thanks jimmy06. We caught about 5 of them. The closest thing to them in my fish rules app was a golden tilefish and it said those were closed so we threw them back. 
  • elpollolocoelpolloloco JACKSONVILLEPosts: 251 Deckhand
    Slippery **** aka sand tile
  • portusrogerportusroger Posts: 174 Deckhand
    bigslick said:
    It's been awhile since we've had a good weather forecast. Got to the launch at 0500 and saw that most of the big boys had come out to play. Even saw one of my dream boats, a 34 sea vee. Headed out in the darkness at 0545 and was treated to flat seas. Got out to 120 feet and the bite was ok, a little slow. We picked up a few trigger and a few beeliners. One vermillion measured 19 inches. Decided to run another 5 miles to a ledge in 134 feet. Picked up a limit of red porgys really fast and couldn't stop catching anything but porgys so I decided to push out another 4 miles to 145 feet. Caught a few more trigger but it was too slow for me so I wanted to run back west to the first spot we fished. Caught and released big reds all day, and was surprised when my brother brought up a nice gag. Ended up with 13 trigger 10 vermilion 9 porgys 2 almacos and 1 gag. Need help identifying the last fish. It kind of looked like a tilefish but I thought they were a deep water fish. 
    Was everything caught on live bait? If so what?
    Grouper and red snapper were caught on live tomtate grunts. Everything else was caught on squid, even a few big snapper ate tiny pieces of squid. 
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 189 Deckhand
    Great report. 
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,386 Captain
  • FirmanjaxFirmanjax Posts: 382 Deckhand
    I think I passed you guys on the way out that morning.  Panga style boat?  Nice report.  I'm still working on the bottom fishing out there.  Looks like you have a good handle on it. 
    26 panga with a black t-top. Saw 2 boats pass me on the way out. Most everyone was high speed trolling from what I saw. Was expecting to see a lot of reports with how many boats that were out there.
  • FirmanjaxFirmanjax Posts: 382 Deckhand
    Ok.  you got a single Honda on it I think.  We caught one wahoo and a tuna that day.  Did high speed all morning with nothing and slowed down and pulled ballyhoo when we caught everything.  Did a little bottom fishing and got some triggers and a few beeliners.