If you could have ONLY one lure for beach snook...

kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 40 Greenhorn
... what would it be? Let's assume Gulf coast fish ranging from underslot to overslot. If you had to have one lure, what would it be? 

Drew

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,618 AG
    edited November 2018 #2
    unweighted plastic jerkbait -- think bass fishing -- fished erratically and rigged weedless

• mikenavmikenav Posts: 742 Officer
    I just bought some X-Raps in Pilchard color. I will use those every single time. 
  • nowinchattnowinchatt Posts: 57 Greenhorn

• former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,480 Officer
    white bucktail (lightest allowed for wind/wave)
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 149 Deckhand
    Red and white windcheater.  Can I sneak a red and white flairhawk jig in my back pocket? 
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,343 Officer
    Yozuri crystal minnow.
  • finnsandgrinnsfinnsandgrinns STUARTPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Paul brown soft plastic lure
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    DOA shrimp in glow
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,563 AG
    If I had only one lure....I wouldn't go....a bluefish would cut me off and I wasted a trip to the beach.....wait till you have several before going....  :D
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,881 Admin
    I love this aged old question "if you were on a deserted island and you had only one lure to catch fish and survive on what would it be?"

It would not be a soft bait as that would not last long enough to feed yourself.

It would have to be the timeless lure that catches everything....a Spoon, preferably a  3 oz Crocodile Spoon

Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,186 Officer
    3 or 4 inch wildeye shad type swimbait - with some green in it.
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 417 Deckhand
    gold or silver spoon.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,563 AG
    People should google what the military put in pilots survival kit in WW II..... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Belfast BillBelfast Bill Posts: 56 Greenhorn
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,205 Captain
    edited December 2018 #16
    I love this aged old question "if you were on a deserted island and you had only one lure to catch fish and survive on what would it be?"

It would not be a soft bait as that would not last long enough to feed yourself.

It would have to be the timeless lure that catches everything....a Spoon, preferably a  3 oz Crocodile Spoon

What if there are weeds/ grass in the water? Your desert island lure should probably be an “all conditions “ lure.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,441 Moderator
    duckmanJR said:
    People should google what the military put in pilots survival kit in WW II..... 
    X2  A white upperman jig.  For the beach , I'd use a 3/8 or 1/2 oz
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,375 Admiral
    white bucktail (lightest allowed for wind/wave)
    This with a piece of  plastic red worm on the hook

• SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,974 Admiral
    I have caught a bunch of snook from the beach with only a mirrolure 52m. Unfortunately the colors ( brown and grey back ) I used to slay them on are no longer available but the black or green back would still work also.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,881 Admin

What if there are weeds/ grass in the water? Your desert island lure should probably be an “all conditions “ lure.
    I there are weeds then I would walk to the other side of the island. If you have a spoon you will eat. 

Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor

• JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,957 Captain
    At times i don't get these types of questions.....i'm old lol....first off if you are catching snook from the beach with whatever you are using then stick to that.... now if you arent catching them... well thats a whole question...
    The reason you see so many different choices is because most of us throw what we truly believe in... in other words if
    you have faith in it then more than likey you will catch something with it...

And in the end it really doesnt matter what i or others here use.... because it always the Indian and not the bow... in other words i can tell you my super duper snook getting monster lure, but what i'm not telling you is where i'm fishing the tide/ the part of the beach/ how fast or slow i'm moving the lure the size of color.. and so on.... its a never ending game and thats why most of us have a few bags of lure lol... good luck
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 703 Officer
    I would go with the old ghost white xrap
    we need more internet money
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 829 Officer
    3-5 inch white, creamy, peasrly, sandy colored paddle tail swimbait on a 1/8 - 3/8 ounce white jig head. Throw that sucker in front of a passing school where the waves are breaking and hold on. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement.