2018/2019 Miami Shrimp Report

Couldnt find a thread on this so I created one myself. Any report on the shrimp run with this cold front coming in? 
If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,066 Captain
    Just a bit early for Biscayne... Maybe six weeks...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Do you guys think the absence of sea grass in north bbay will affect the shrimp?
    Yes — and badly...

I run night charters every winter and worry about it.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • eareeyeseeeareeyesee Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    The grass TOTALLY disappeared in less than 2 years time. Practically the entire flats between Tuttle and 79th is a sandbar now.
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    The Herald had an asrticle that they want to dredge again for even bigger ships. 
    It’s not dredging that messed up the upper Bay... It’s where they dumped the spoil (the mud and muck they dredged off the bottom) on the north side of the Julia Tuttle Causeway that’s caused the problem.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • northbiscaynebay1northbiscaynebay1 Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Remel,  I try not to get involved in controversial topics, but this one is close to my heart. I have been fishing and guiding in North Bay for a long time. I have watched the bay go up and down for the last 60 years. Over 10 years ago our sea grasses started to disappear. It was most noticeable on the west side of the bay especial in the areas of Miami Shores and the **** Club. Both areas that was home to loads of sea trout, snapper, tarpon, snook, jacks, barracudas, ladyfish and more. Today there is 0 grass on the bottom in both of those areas as well as a good part of South Bay. Back then there had been no dredging at the Port of Miami and no muck being placed anywhere in our bays. The only somewhat healthy manatee grass that you will find in our bays is near an ocean inlet including the areas near Government Cut. That I believe is due to clean ocean water flushing these grasses twice a day. The turtle grass flats south of Key Biscayne are as healthy as ever, even with a million pleasure boaters trimming their tops every weekend. The flats south of 79th street and on the south side of the Julia Tulle Causeway are virtually void of grasses. This had started after Wilma and Katrina passed through our neighborhood. Sea trout is one of my targeted species for my inshore clients and we have caught less than a half dozen in the past few weeks. So bad that I have stopped fishing for them. As far as the shrimp runs they often bury themselves in the sand, silt and mud especially during the day so they may be alright. Judging by the size of a normal bait shrimp that you buy at the bait shops I'd say that the shrimp are in trouble. Its been a long time since I have bought shrimp that were of size unless you shell out the cost of hand picked shrimp that are of the size of what we used to get when we ordered 12 dozen shrimp. In today's world you need to use smaller hooks because the shrimp are so tiny. 
    So whats killing the grasses? Read what the scientists are saying. It had nothing to do with dredging or laying tons of clean filtered fill on the bottom near the Julia Tuttle. 
    Capt. Alan Sherman
    GetEm Sportfishing Charters
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 666 Officer
    As Thomas Wolfe said, you can never go home. I remember catching grouper from the seawall next to Mike Gordons Restaurant by the 79th st causeway. A friend's dad worked at the radio station on 79th st causeway and we would catch seatrout till our arms fell off behind the station. I ran the bay Monday and saw zero signs of bait or birds (aside from gulls) which does not portend well for the future of North Bisc Bay. The developers (and politicians) have taken over and we will now reap the benefit of their actions. The party's over sad to say.
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 326 Deckhand
    There were always huge schools of bait in the bay this time of year.  Mostly pilchards, but also Spanish sardines.  Catching bait was simply a matter of locating diving pelicans or royal terns and throwing the net.  Many times one throw and the bait well was full.  I so rarely see birds diving on bait in the bay these days.
    Came off the water at 2Am this morning... We weren't looking for shrimp - pretty good thing since we never saw a single shrimp in any docklight or on the approach to a couple of different bridge shadow areas.  The birds that will be working all night long when the shrimp run (whatever it is this year...) were sitting on anything they could find and went hungry last night... When the run finally does get going, even if it's poor, those same birds will be on the down tide side of the bridge feeding all night long -along with the usual ocean run ladyfish, small jacks, etc.

At least there were a few small tarpon around - we hooked seven but only got two to my skiff last night - all on the fly, using 8 and a 9wt rods... I'll post up a regular report later today with a photo or two...

Be a hero - take a kid fishing....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Getting it done!
  • BibijawaBibijawa Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    Anyone think the shrimp might run this weekend? Full moon and a cold front comming.
  • loligopelailoligopelai Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Any updates? 
    Fish are food not toys...
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,461 Captain
    In the late 70's, I lived in South Dade. Used to go 'Shrimping' around the Rickenbacker causeway, Key Biscayne around the Bear Cut bridege and into the ICW near the mouth of the Miami River. We dragged nets behind the boat like a big sock. We'd have good nights (to us) when we'd fill a couple 5 gallon buckets.
    Used to be able to slay Mackerel in the Bay near Matheson... And. I've seen schools of mullet several acres in size with the mullet splashing and gulping air in the south end of the bay. All you needed was a treble hook and you could snag them. The 'Bay' was so alilve! 
    I guess things have changed over the years....  (been in West Palm for 26 years now... )

Pura Vida!
    Thx.
    Anything recently ? Does anyone know if they ran on the December moon?
    The wholesalers aren't getting them yet. Not a good season.
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 326 Deckhand
    They haven't run yet.
  • PoplinFabricationPoplinFabrication Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Heard they started running last night in Miami, go get em! I'm going on a overnight trip in Flamingo and going to see if there is a run out there by shark river as I can't seem to find any good information about it online. Will post a detailed report about the new house boats as well as if there are any shrimp around.
    Thx for the updates . Standing by.