New to forum and Stuart.

Hi all, happy Thanksgiving! Not sure if this is the correct section to post this. We recently purchased a condo in Stuart and am looking to learn all about the inshore and offshore fishery down there. I have a sailfish 236 and am very knowledgeable about fishing in the northeast. Any suggestions and input would be much appreciated. Thanks! 

Replies

• brianbbrianb Posts: 2,299 Captain
    Welcome. LOVE Stuart, just learning it myself. 
  • hatcityhatcity Posts: 3,017 Captain
    Welcome to Stuart, and the forum
    most of your knowledge from up north will have to be put aside.
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 661 Officer
    Find a good local shop and settle in.  Great way to get connected in.....along with this forum.  I've learned a lot from both and some trial and error.....
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,464 Captain
    ktval said:
    Hi all, happy Thanksgiving! Not sure if this is the correct section to post this. We recently purchased a condo in Stuart and am looking to learn all about the inshore and offshore fishery down there. I have a sailfish 236 and am very knowledgeable about fishing in the northeast. Any suggestions and input would be much appreciated. Thanks! 
    Consider joining the West Palm Beach Fishing Club. 

They are a great organization of people from all walks of life. Many are professional fishermen. Come to the meeting this Wednesday (it's open to the public)  There are meetings monthly for both Inshore anglers and Offshore anglers. They feature speakers that are very knowledgeable and willing to share their expertise.  It's also a great opportunity to meet people and network.
    If you decide to join, it's a worthwhile club to be a part of.
    Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Pura Vida!
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    One suggestion is to observe the Forecast section of this website where local guides post what has been biting over the past days that are usually posted on a Thursday-Friday for the upcoming weekend, although the southeast section seems to only get updated once every 2 weeks lately. Maybe some of the local (Stuart-Jensen) bait shops post weekly updated like Junobait.com does. I find these especially helpful for general targeting.

Also every Saturday morning Jupiter headquarters does an offshore focused radio show on ESPN Radio FM 106.3

Hope this helps.

Also and probably everyone will agree is to get out there both inshore and offshore and get to know the local ramps and waterways.

Also another piece of advise is to at least purchase a lure or bait at the shop before you ask for tips
  • ktvalktval StuartPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Hello Everyone...thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I am looking forward to learning the waters down there and meet some nice people !!
  • crackedconchcrackedconch Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Welcome!!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!

Pioneer 197 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF150
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,104 Officer
    You will find that the lightwheight tackle, line, and leader used in the NE wont cut it off shore. Plenty of public reefs for bottom fishing. Because of the many species, some that look similar, the regulations down here can be overwhelming. However you need to learn them. Buy picture sheets of species and download FISH RULES IN YOUR PHONE. Check every month for rule changes and closures.
  • gmccgmcc Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    The Snook Nook in JB is a good place to go for bait and info.  
  • ktvalktval StuartPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    I have been there several times they seam to be a good shop.
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 789 Officer
    You are invited to the Stuart Rod and Reel Club.  We meet the Second Thursday of the month, 6:00 p.m. at the Quality inn Hotel attached to Flanigans Restaurant, 950 SE Federal Highway, Stuart.  Flanigans Restaurant caters dinner at your expense.  We have monthly guest speakers and a great network for information.  NO MEETING IN DECEMBER AS WE HAVE OUR CHRISTMAS PARTY.  Next meeting is Thursday, January 10th at 6:00. Check out our web site: www.stuartrodandreel.com or our Facebook page.
    Look forward to meeting you.
    Keith
    Angling Director
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Man welcome! A great fishery here. The inshore fishing is insane. And plenty of offshore action. Espeacially this time of year. As the water gets cooler the trout and reds get hotter. Welcome to pm me for some more info/contact. 
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    welcome to the forum!
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Hello and welcome to Stuart.