grouper out of boca 11/19/18

Son was back from college for Thanksgiving holiday. Took him and his friend David  fishing.
Caught this guy on 2lb blue runner.s

Replies

• MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 627 Officer
    bam!  nice one..
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • hhfishermanhhfisherman Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    Nice catch! 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,117 Captain
    That is a nice Black for Boca. Way to go!

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,466 Admin
    Sweet! Mind telling us how deep you were fishing?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • fishfullthinkingfishfullthinking Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    I was fishing in 170ft of water. Used a stinger rig for such a big bait and fish was hooked on a stinger hook. Was looking for a big smoker king so this grouper was a surprise.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,117 Captain
    The biggest Black that I ever caught off of Pompano was on a ballyhoo Seawitch combo that I was lowering on a down rigger intended for Kingfish. I lowered a bit farther than normal and got a pleasant surprise. I've always wanted to dedicate a whole day to this type of fishing but never got around to it.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• JustDaveJustDave Jacksonville FlPosts: 86 Greenhorn
    That is a really nice black!
    1995 Stratos 2500WA Twin 2013 200HO ETECS! 
  • Dustin BoyntonDustin Boynton Boynton beachPosts: 342 Deckhand
    Awesome fish!
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 389 Deckhand
    SWEET!!! :)

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• xeniaxenia Posts: 361 Deckhand
    edited November 2018 #11
    Grouper will come up off the bottom to take a bait.  Of course, it would happen more often when there were more of them around. This 80 lb black ate a live speedo in 100' of water off Key Largo on a flatline intended for big kings.  The little one weighed 42.

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 668 Officer
    Great fish....congrats
  • ASK KNOTASK KNOT Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Nice catch.  Congrats
  • jman122jman122 33478Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Nice!
  • sandwashsluggersandwashslugger Posts: 244 Deckhand
    The biggest Black that I ever caught off of Pompano was on a ballyhoo Seawitch combo that I was lowering on a down rigger intended for Kingfish. I lowered a bit farther than normal and got a pleasant surprise. I've always wanted to dedicate a whole day to this type of fishing but never got around to it.
    Some charter guys that strictly troll do this with their planers.  When they get close to a wreck they will either slow way down, or put those lines in free spool to get it even deeper.  Then they push off quickly and trigger some grouper bites.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    edited December 2018 #16
    Good job, Congratulations !