Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Kingfish Ceviche recipe

GCjetskiGCjetski New ZealandPosts: 30 Greenhorn
A simple recipe I use for making Kingfish Ceviche, this can be done with any type of fish and I urge you to try it if you haven't had the chance

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,261 Moderator
    Might want to mention when posting on a Florida Sportsman forum that kingfish in New Zealand is not the same kingfish (king mackerel) that we Floridians catch.   Looks more like its in the Jack family, maybe similar to a yellowjack

• IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 342 Deckhand
    Thank you for clarifying Jack, almost lost my lunch there.

GCJetski, thank you for sharing your recipe, I will definitely try it. 

The lack of favorable response to your post is probably because our local fish named Kingfish (King Mackeral) is disgusting as is and the thought of it as civeche well nearly makes me hurl.

I admittedly passed on reading several times before cause it sounded so disturbing.  

It does make really great smoked fish dip but other than that is considered inedible by many of us.

There are those have aquired the taste, God bless you all.

This is one classic recipe - Bake the kingfish on a cedar plank just like fancy restaurants do with Salmon. When cooked, toss the fish and eat the plank.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,677 Admiral
    Nice, The NZ Kingfish is pretty much the same as the California Yellowtail, or Hamachi in Japan. A very good eating Jack.
     The Florida Kingfish (Mackerel) makes a pretty good dish called escabeche, not to be confused with ceviche. Our King Mackerel are similar in looks to the Narrow Barred Mackerel, however, the Narrow Barred is  better table fare.

I differ from many on this forum and enjoy eating fresh Florida Kingfish on occasion.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    Nice, The NZ Kingfish is pretty much the same as the California Yellowtail, or Hamachi in Japan. A very good eating Jack.
     The Florida Kingfish (Mackerel) makes a pretty good dish called escabeche, not to be confused with ceviche. Our King Mackerel are similar in looks to the Narrow Barred Mackerel, however, the Narrow Barred is  better table fare.

I differ from many on this forum and enjoy eating fresh Florida Kingfish on occasion.
    I think kingfish are delicious as well, also love bluefish so to each their own!
    we need more internet money
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 295 Deckhand
    edited February 2019 #6
    I don't like ceviche king.
    King mackerel are great fresh.  Really good grilled or smoked to me better grilled than dolphin any day. Seasoning would be lemon herb and Cajun rolled in olive oil 1.5 to 2 inch thick steak skin on bone in cook till meat starts to separate off the bone. I also roll in seasoning and oil when I flip on the grill.  Served just like that or with an onion relish. Slow grilled meat will be white and flake apart.
  • SHELLFISHSHELLFISH Posts: 108 Deckhand
    I'm not a big ceviche fan. I'd rather fry and then cheviche with lemons!
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,293 Officer
    Fresh well cared for Florida kingfish is as good as it gets grilled the day of capture with just salt and pepper. After its frozen it still makes killer SMACK.
  • fatmulletfatmullet Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Looks like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing. My fav is blackened with chef pauls redfish magic. Cooked like chicken in iron skillet. Must cut entire bloodline out first tho. Thats where the mercury and nasty fishy taste is consitrated. White meat, high in healthy omega 3 fatty acids and B12 nautral vitamins. Most king mackerel in FL are shipped up north to ny, canada and ca. Where people actually appreciate and can afford to eat them!
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,437 Officer
    I marinate my king in yellow mustard and then fry once I get sick of fish dip by the end of June. 
  • FinestKindFinestKind Posts: 175 Deckhand
    edited April 2019 #11
    Intheslot said:
    Thank you for clarifying Jack, almost lost my lunch there.

GCJetski, thank you for sharing your recipe, I will definitely try it. 

The lack of favorable response to your post is probably because our local fish named Kingfish (King Mackeral) is disgusting as is and the thought of it as civeche well nearly makes me hurl.

I admittedly passed on reading several times before cause it sounded so disturbing.  

It does make really great smoked fish dip but other than that is considered inedible by many of us.

There are those have aquired the taste, God bless you all.

This is one classic recipe - Bake the kingfish on a cedar plank just like fancy restaurants do with Salmon. When cooked, toss the fish and eat the plank"

Please see my posting Re beer battered King Mackerel.....
    Prepped properly and treated LIKE FOOD they can be delicious on the table.
    Len
    Finest Kind
  • FinestKindFinestKind Posts: 175 Deckhand
    Please see my posting Re beer battered King Mackerel.....
    Prepped properly and treated LIKE FOOD they can be delicious on the table.
    Len
    Finest Kind