Home Fly Fishing

Should I bring my 12 Wt

86 Four Winns86 Four Winns Posts: 5 Greenhorn
I'll be in Bonita Beach 2nd wk Dec shore fishing the beach, bays, piers and try canoe fishing out of Everglades City. I'll do a full day party boat as well. Should I bring a 12 wt fly rod I acquired or is it unneeded baggage for the flight from up north....and what would I need it for this time of year. My main rod will be surf & regular spinning rod w/ shimano 3500 or 6500 baitrunners. Should I bring a 7 or 9 wt fly rod vs the 12 wt for the beach. I imagine the beach will be mainly ladyfish and if I get lucky in the 10K islands it'll be saltwater trout. Thanks

86 Four Winns

Replies

• DPrestonDPreston Posts: 153 Officer
    The 12 is probably not needed for the type of fishing you mention. I would bring the 7 for the beach and the 9 for the canoe. Or of you only want to bring one the 9 should cover you for most situations.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    X2 on the 9
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • DowntownNashDowntownNash Posts: 182 Officer
    I'm more concerned with making sure you remember to bring a camera so you can report back here with pictures!
    signature.png
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,826 Captain
    86, if you can only bring one rod, make it a 9wt.... If you can bring two fly rods, then keep them two line sizes apart. My standard setup for anglers in the 'Glades is an 8wt with a floating line and a 10wt (with a full intermediate line along with a floater as a spare). The 8wt gets used for just about everything except bigger flies (than a 2/0...) or bigger fish (over 30lbs, if they're tarpon). The only time the big sticks (11wt and heavier) are aboard is when we're shark or tarpon fishing. Hope this helps.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666