Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

West Palm Beach Peacock Bass

justinmarcisakjustinmarcisak West IslipPosts: 3 Greenhorn
Hey guys, i'm a New Yorker but I am coming to Florida in early or mid january. Just like every other fisherman that comes in from out of state, I'm super intrigued by the peacock bass you guys have. However, I do understand that your water temps drop a bit in the winter, I was just wondering if the action was still decent that time of year. I'm going to be staying at the Marriot over by lake Osborne. Any tips regarding fishing spots/techniques would be super appreciated. I have been down there fishing for peas once before with live shiners on the Lantana road bridge but only managed to catch largemouth. Thanks for your time !

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,799 Moderator
    Welcome aboard Justin.  I'll have to guess that the same shiner set up will get them if they are there. But , will depend on weather. January in Florida is always a crapshoot. ? 
    "You'll get your weather"
  • robert cibranrobert cibran Posts: 17 Deckhand
    Justin,

You are too far north for Peacocks, try further down south and water temps need to be around 80 to 85, so if its a cool morning ,then  best time is around 2 to 3 PM. my son and I catch them all the time,now we have slacked due to colder water temps.
  • justinmarcisakjustinmarcisak West IslipPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    okay cool thank you, how far south do you think i would need to go at that time of year? also that peacock is massive ! biggest ive ever seen. One more thing, is anything hitting well at that time? In NY everything might as well be dead in january. 
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 861 Officer
    Lake Osborne is fine for peacocks. Even in January, assuming we haven't had a real good cold snap yet. The area around John Prince Park is pretty good too. Obviously, the further south you go, the better the chances are. Here are a couple of spots that have been pretty good in the past

Justin,
    My son and I fish the canals, not lakes, these types of peacocks are located down south off US 1 in neighborhoods which we walk the banks, try the Falls area Mall canals, we use live shiners nothing else,
    Here one which my son caught back in September in the area I mentioned.
  • sandwashsluggersandwashslugger Posts: 244 Deckhand
    That area you fished before holds plenty of peacocks. As long as we haven’t had consistent cold weather, less than 60* for a few days, they will be feeding. Hit as many bridges as you can find in that area on google maps and I guarantee you will catch a few. 
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,572 Captain
    6th Ave bridge in Osborne and you’ll be good to go
  • justinmarcisakjustinmarcisak West IslipPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    thank you all SO much for the advice. However, I ended up not going in january. I am now going in mid May. I'm assuming the fishing will be much better then right? Also interested in snakeheads if thats a possibility.
  • yellow dogyellow dog Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Been studying this post.  We live in the West coast in Sarasota and my thirteen year old son is absolutely obsessed with fishing waters that hold Peacocks.  I’ve heard there are a few in the Naples area but it is nearly impossible to even get a general starting point.  I’d be willing to make the drive across the state if we have a good shot in the Osborne Lake area.  Is it only bank fishing or is it good water for kayaks?  Are their any local shops that carry the shiners that y’all recommend?  He can catch bass all day long but has his sights set on a peacock.  Would this weekend be an option or are weekends too busy?  Sorry for all the questions but trying to get a game plan together to give him (and I) the best chance possible.  Thanks!
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 257 Deckhand
    yellow dog

If I were you from Naples I would take I-75 east and fish canals and areas of southern Broward County-northern Miami-Dade County. Those canals are dug into the underlying limestone and are pretty clear for freshwater and are much different from traditional canals dug through sand. That area is far better for peacocks than waters in Palm Beach County which are about the furthest north of peacock bass territory. 

The location in Broward/Miami-Dade County is closer for you and better fishing and easily accessed from I-75. There are a few guides that do peacock bass fishing on foot with very reasonable prices although I don't have any specific contacts, maybe someone on this forum could help you with that guide that fishes on-foot.

Also contact bait and tackle shops in the south Broward and north Miami-Dace County and they should be able to help with general locations and tackle tips/techniques.

I don't know any specifics as I am located in northern Palm Beach County where we catch a few peacocks lately as we have not had a hard freeze in several years.

Hope this helps.