Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Nassau Sound (George Crady Bridge) 11-18-2018 report

Finally I was able to go back fishing the bridge. Been hunting pompano at the surf with uncle Snake.  Fish the surf yesterday and caught 2 bull reds and some whitings. Been getting report from friend at the bridge telling me the black drum are biting.  Got a bad start this morning by oversleeping. My parent woke me up since they wanted to fish the bridge since the forecast is nice today.  Good thing I prepared and loaded everything in the truck beforehand.  Got to the bridge at 830 and it was just a perfect timing since low tide at 10:00. Fish a new area today and not knowing where the hangup are at, I used a 15 pound test leader instead. I rather lose a leader than a whole 10oz lead.  Once I figured out where the hang up are I take picture of the spot and note it into my phone. The bigger drum was biting during the last outgoing.  My brother known as the deputy caught 4 in less than 20 minutes.  I on the other hand caught two trout on frozen finger mullet that has been stored in the freezer since July.  I didn't see too many live mullet on the bridge. I think most have moved out. The whitings bite has been slow.    The tide turn and it was a waiting game for us.  I knew it was worthwhile to wait all the way for the incoming tide knowing it will be dark. Around 3pm the action started. Most of drum caught during the incoming was the good puppy size.  I have baited each of my rod with crab, fresh live shrimp,clams.  The fish today wanted clams and shrimp.  Nothing touch the crab.  Lost maybe 7 drums. Some were big that muscle it way to the piling.  Them old senior drum sure know how to break free. That what happen when you fish against the current with the bait near the piling.  It fifty fifty chance of horsing them out or they break you off.  Fishing with the current yield less bite but if you hook a big one, the chance are higher of nothing getting cut off. The fish usually grab the bait and moved with the current and away from the piling.  The solunar told me it was a bad day to go fishing and I learned now not to pay attention to some solunar telling me if the fishing is good or bad. :p:p     

Replies

• Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,531 Admiral
    FUN TIMES, as usual my friend !! 

It was fun wrangling up the pomps with you and the deputy.......but I also knew your heart was set on getting back on that bridge !!  

I now need to try my luck one more time up there for them drum !!
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,593 Captain
    always great reports!  thanks for continuing to share!
  • 79507950 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Sea Snake said:
    FUN TIMES, as usual my friend !! 

It was fun wrangling up the pomps with you and the deputy.......but I also knew your heart was set on getting back on that bridge !!  

I now need to try my luck one more time up there for them drum !!
    If we knew the big whiting was there, you betcha we skip the bridge and head down there. Should have woke up at 9:30 instead and text you about the bite at the surf. Yeah when the jack are gone come back and try to get you a drum.
    always great reports!  thanks for continuing to share!
    You're Welcome.