Need assistance with Reel /Rod combo for birthday boy

Son just turned 18. Looking for a good sebastian inlet combo to be used off the boat and Jetty.
Is this possible?  I use Saragosa 5000 off the boat but not sure thats big enough to fish off the jetties. 

Looking for a rugged combo $250 for a 18 year old. Boat and Jetty use.
Thanks!

Replies

• redspot321redspot321 Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    To clarify, not looking to purchase off someone. Just need ideas.
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 997 Officer
    I'd look at the Star Rods Stellar Lite series, maybe a 7' med-heavy ($99) matched with a Daiwa BG 5000 ($98).  The Star Rods have a lifetime warranty and I ditched all my Shimanos and have been using the BGs with no issues at all.

Good luck.
  • TugasTugas Posts: 158 Deckhand
    I’d get him a Daiwa BG of the appropriate size 5000-7000 and some Daiwa j braid in the needed size along with a star stellar lite of the needed size .. viola .. hard to beat setup for 250 without line. And warranty for both products 
  • MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    Shimano, Daiwa, Penn can be the same as...Ford, GM, Chrysler. Lots of options, prices and opinions so get something you feel good about. I have all three and they have all performed great; from 2500-8000 sizes. I like the idea of a 5000 size for your scenario, and agree with earlier response to recommend a Star rod for what is usually a no-fuss warranty at BPS.
  • ShoNuffNoahShoNuffNoah Edgewater, FLPosts: 56 Greenhorn
    I agree with the star rod and penn reel. I got those for graduation when I was 18, now I’m 37, and I still have each rod and reel!