Home General Freshwater Fishing

Hooking Shiners

I have always gone with the in through bottom lips and out the top. However, today I was catching shiners in Crest Lake in Clearwater that were between 10-11" long. I started hooking them in the back because the few fish I got today in the 5lb range would have to gobble them down for a while to get hooked. How do you guys like to do it?

On a side note I have never seen anything like the correlation between shiner size and bass size ever. You throw a small one you catch a small to medium size bass. You toss out a big one you catch a solid to lunker size bass. I has a fish take my biggest shiner that was pushing 12" today that hit as hard a 35" snook. I mean she walloped it and just smoked out about 15-20 yds of tight drag and cut my 30lb fluoro leader like a playdo rope off on a post. RIDICULOUSNESS and this was with my gear I can easily hand a 10lb snook with. Any one else ever burned like that by a bass? I swear to god some fish are way stronger than others their size. Maybe the weaker ones were just in need of nap, lol. Even the 10lber I caught this spring didnt peel me like that for more than 5 or 8 yds. I didnt get a look at the fish but it was big I know.
Catch 'em and Release 'em!
http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/

Replies

• GoingbigGoingbig Posts: 78 Deckhand
    I have not fished with shiners in years. Used to fish every weekend when I was younger on the local river. I always hooked them towards the tail . Making sure you place the hooker below or above their lateral line. I think I used to do it below. I used a circle hook and about 3ft of leader attached to a orange bobber and I would just let it swim under a patch of weed. I have never tried through the lip. Man this post makes me want to get my cane pole and catch shiners and free line them! Either way good luck! Might have to get out myself soon.
  • RemoteRedsTroutRemoteRedsTrout Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Ill usually hook them through the nostril because it kind of seems like they'll live longer when I do that. Ill freeline them with a bobber and wait about 5 seconds before i set the hook, it usually takes me about that long to pick up the pole and reel in the slack. But I might want to wait longer because if the shiner is big the bass can take longer to get it all in its mouth, only thing is then my chance of gut hooking them is higher and I get nervous about killing them when i dig the hook out.

I definitely know what you're saying about bass taking awhile to get the whole shiner. I used to fish a spring run from a dock a lot back when I lived closer to it. The water was gin clear, could easily see the bottom in 6-7ft of water. I'd be trying to single out the bigger bass (usually around 3-3.5lbs there around the dock) and I'd have a 1-1.5lber take my shiner before i could react. Alotta times they would only grab the middle portion of the shiner, leaving the head and tail sticking outta the sides of their mouths. It would take them at least 5 seconds to get the whole thing in their mouth. If i'd set the hook before that, it would rip outta the shiner without touching the bass. I'd have to slowly tug on the line to pull the shiners outta their mouths without ripping the hook out and hopefully without killing the shiners.
    bill-dance-motor-o.gif1314011917_bill_dance_fishing_blooper.gifsMozlUn.gif
    Ill usually hook them through the nostril because it kind of seems like they'll live longer when I do that. Ill freeline them with a bobber and wait about 5 seconds before i set the hook, it usually takes me about that long to pick up the pole and reel in the slack. But I might want to wait longer because if the shiner is big the bass can take longer to get it all in its mouth, only thing is then my chance of gut hooking them is higher and I get nervous about killing them when i dig the hook out.

I definitely know what you're saying about bass taking awhile to get the whole shiner. I used to fish a spring run from a dock a lot back when I lived closer to it. The water was gin clear, could easily see the bottom in 6-7ft of water. I'd be trying to single out the bigger bass (usually around 3-3.5lbs there around the dock) and I'd have a 1-1.5lber take my shiner before i could react. Alotta times they would only grab the middle portion of the shiner, leaving the head and tail sticking outta the sides of their mouths. It would take them at least 5 seconds to get the whole thing in their mouth. If i'd set the hook before that, it would rip outta the shiner without touching the bass. I'd have to slowly tug on the line to pull the shiners outta their mouths without ripping the hook out and hopefully without killing the shiners.

And i can't believe how some bass will eat giant shiners! I mean ive heard the saying that bass can eat something half their size, but Ive got 2lbers 16-17inch with 9-10 inch shiners! I coulda sworn one shiner was 75% the length of one bass i got
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,260 Officer
    thru the back, always
    alotta times i like to freeline shiners, especially when theres alotta turtles around or if im bedfishing with them, but it seems like a 4/0+ shiner hook will weigh them down on the bottom and kill them after a while. seems they'll last longer on a bobber with that hook. i'll use a 3/0 sometimes but ive bent at least 3 3/0s on fish 6+lbs so im hesitant to use them
    oh that was using 20lb braid with heavy drag, shoulda probably used lighter drag to not bend the hook on the set but there was cover around a couple of them and i hate when i don't have my drag heavy enough and when i go to set the hook i pull a buncha drag and don't get enough pressure to get a solid hookset (especially when i forget to crank the drag back up after a fish :machinegun............. a few years ago i missed one of the biggest redfish of my life because i didnt have the drag set right :machinegun