Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

MinnKota Elec.motors

MinnKota elec.motors came out with a stow n go elec. motor.
As one gets up in age,they are great because with this motor you
can raise and lower into,retract the motor and raise and lower
the motor when still in water all with a remote.Many other features
but those are main ones.
   However if you get any water inside where water should not be,
the motor will not lower.MinnKota acc.to service center is having 
a problem with this and many motors are being returned under
warranty.
     Simply put do not wash your motor off.

Replies

• BobberBobber Senior Member Posts: 943 Officer
    So if I don't wash it I'll always be able to get it up????
  • Mr.SnookMr.Snook Member NaplesPosts: 91 Deckhand
    Sooooooo a a boating part made to go outside on said boat especially a flats or bay type boat where you're likely going to get rained on or take a wave over the bow shouldn't get wet. Makes perfect sense to me. 

• 10kman10kman Senior Member Posts: 970 Officer
       Bobber and Mr.Snook,spoken by two gentlemen who
    are not senior citizens.At our age,that **** platform
    looks like a mountain to us.
  • Mr.SnookMr.Snook Member NaplesPosts: 91 Deckhand
    My comment is that's a **** poor design for a saltwater trolling motor has nothing to due with you age. I have pretty messed up knees and I know down the road I'm looking at replacements in both so one less trip up and down the platform would be great and I have looked at those new Minn Kota's and thought they would be great and something to consider if an when my current one decides to kack. However I can't imagine a company that has manufactured saltwater trolling motors for well over a decade making a motor that can NOT get wet or it will stop working. My now 6 year old Minn Kota is still running fine and I've only just had it serviced this year.

This sounds like a major design flaw to me personally I'm not knocking you but Minn Kota putting out a product that ceases to work if it gets water in the wrong spot. I can't tell you how many times I've been running back after the wind kicks up and I've taken water over the bow, or gone to fish away from home and the boat has rode out a thunderstorm tied to a dock or on a trailer. Again I like the idea of this motor but sounds like they really missed the mark here.

Yes,there is a flaw and MinnKota is trying to correct with
    a redesigned housing.And they have a 2 year warranty
    which both Rod's Preformance and MinnKota are honoring
    with no cost to owner.
      And I had a older elec.like you but my legs were reaching
    the point,sell the boat and depend on friends and guides.This
    new stow n deploy added years onto my fishing. 
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Senior Member Fort PiercePosts: 937 Officer
    I have found with Minn Kota products that if you don't get them wet or use them that they are very reliable
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,804 Captain
    Got to stick up for MK a bit (even though I still am just using a pushpole all these years...).  The ones I've used on customer's boats (generally bayboats, some of them up to 24' long, but also flats skiffs -the larger ones...) have been super with either I-Pilots or Ulterras... These have all be 24 or 36 volt setups that get a fair amount of use... I also know quite a few local anglers that have had great service out of their units...

The first Ulterra I ran had me a bit skeptical since in my world every extra bell and whistle adds to any maintenance woes - but I've run the same motor now, on a big bayboat,  for almost three years (whenever my customer comes down this way...) and it's been a solid performer (without of hint of problems with that auto stow/deploy feature...).  I particularly like the anchor function (and for that alone I'll probably be adding an I-Pilot to my skiff this winter -would have done it last winter - but the funds were needed elsewhere..).  I've also talked to other guides that are using that same feature to hold in a current between bridge pilings at night without a single problem... For a guy that runs night trips that's pretty attractive...

It's been years since I had a trolling motor on my old Maverick (it was a first generation Great White  -and I wasn't sorry to see it go...) but from what I've seen, a solid 24 volt setup should be just the ticket for a guide that's now 70 - and still poling every day on the water.... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • polliwogpolliwog Senior Member Posts: 355 Deckhand
    Good on you Bob, They say you have to use it or lose it.  I have a **** bar which since I fish solo a lot makes the trip up the platform much safer for a 70++ angler.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,804 Captain
    edited November 2018 #10
    No **** bar yet.. but I am considering a removable cage for a few of my anglers - that are a lot older than me.... 

Truth be told I do come off of that tower every now and then... I always point out to my anglers that there's no extra charge for entertainment....if they hear a sudden splash at the back of the boat....

For anyone falling off the back of a modern skiff with trim tabs and other doo-dads - remember to kick away as you go over.... Don't want to be next to your skiff when you get wet.  Fella might need a whole box of bandaids.... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Golfn1Golfn1 Junior Member Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Bob, I’ve had my Minn Kota ulterra ipilot for a year.  It’s fantastic. It did break once due to a manufacturing defect.  The housing that holds the main piston blew while I was 12 miles.  Since I bought it from Rods in Naples it was fixed within 24 hours.  If you do get one make sure I suggest a quick release as if anything happens they are a pain to un bolt.  Also, a marine breaker if bolted so if wires need to be cut they are not live. Maybe, you know these things with your experience.  I did not and found out by the time tested method, the hard way. 

It works great again with the new housing. 
       One other item learned recently the batteries in your
    remote must at or near 100%.That is a big factor in 
    stowing and deploying the elec.,also the raising and
    lowering prop in the water.