Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Boca 11/11

Started at dawn w/ 2 rod high speed w/ no luck.  Switch to 4 rod artificial spread since I was solo today.  Trolled from 830- 930 from 100 to 375 picked up one slinger on blue/white rattle jet.  Back at dock by 1030 beautiful  morning to fish.  

Replies

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,514 Captain
    Looks like a decent fish....I lost my rattle jet a few weeks back.  I hooked into something and a big bull decided he wanted it for breakfast.  I'll have to pick up another one.  Were you running yours with or without a ballyhoo?
  • PARKER26PARKER26 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Without just naked 
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 987 Officer

Maybe it is the perspective in the picture, but that looks like the Rattle Jet XL rather than the Rattle Jet.  I haven't caught or known of nearly as much on the XL as the regular version.  Of course, I catch enough on the regular and a few other things that it is hard to justify getting the XL out of the lure bag at this point. 

Must make a point to use some of the other lures in the bag....

• PARKER26PARKER26 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Yes. I typically run both xl and regular.  Both produce very well. 
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Thank you Parker26 for the report. Nice Fish.

• Reef TankReef Tank Posts: 128 Deckhand
    bmoody said:

I haven't caught or known of nearly as much on the XL as the regular version.  Of course, I catch enough on the regular and a few other things that it is hard to justify getting the XL out of the lure bag at this point. 

Same here.   It's rare that I don't have a regular rattle-jet out when trolling.  I tried the XL a few times and didn't get a sniff.  Since then it's been back in the bag.  No confidence in it.
    I was rigging my rattle jet with a ballyhoo and got some but not a lot.  It sounds like most of you guys run it naked, correct?  
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 987 Officer
    Yes, I run my rattle jet plain, although often as the chase bait behind a Boone squid chain (the 9" I think, in glow).  It is a bait that I will run from the tip or the riggers, even pinned down from the corner on a rough day.  The narrow head and stack of beads seems to be less compatable with ballyhoo than a softhead, ilander, or seawitch.  If I were to add natural bait to a rattle jet it would likely be a small bonita strip.  Of course, if it is working for you, don't stop.
  • ldavid516ldavid516 Posts: 309 Deckhand
    I find that a 3- 4" X 1/4" strip of dolphin belly or bonita gives it that little wiggle
    to encourage the bite.
    Got a nice gaffer to take on the retrieve @ dead stop throttles last week and I
    don't think it would have eaten it without that strip 
    i picked up another rattle jet today.....I think I'll try it with the small strip or naked.  I'll let you know how it goes.
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 515 Officer
    Garysmo said:
    i picked up another rattle jet today.....I think I'll try it with the small strip or naked.  I'll let you know how it goes.
    Ditto the bonito strip on any of those rattlers....especially the pink!

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell