Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

December/January 10k trip planning

Hey folks, 
My neighbor/fishing buddy and I are beginning to plan a trip down to the glades this winter. Last winter we camped out on New Turkey Key and got in 2 solid days of fishing. That was all done in my Gheenoe. My thoughts this time around would be to bring my 21' Maverick Master Angler so the camping supplies and extra gear can be brought on that, and still use the Gheenoe to fish the backcountry. 
The major question would be - should I be hesitant in leaving one of the two boats alone for a half day or so while fishing on the other boat? Obvious preventative measures with taking the key/kill switch, and locking important stuff in rod lockers, but its still a boat and could be towed out by anyone with a brain.
Has anyone done this? Bad idea? Good idea? 
Id imagine going even further south would mean less people, but thats also less people to spot something being stolen ._.

Thanks for the input! 

Replies

• BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    In 30 years of camping down there I've never experienced or heard of any theft problems from unattended boats or camp sites. Non issue. But,raccoon cooler rapes and tent invasions can happen if you don't secure your camp properly. 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,630 Captain
    Amen... Raccoons will come after the slightest bit of food - and what they don't eat - they'll foul (another of those "ask me how I know" moments).  Remember as well that most of our native raccoons will test positive for the rabies virus, so cute and cuddly - they're not...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 587 Officer
      If you have your heart set on New Turkey,so do alot of
    other campers.You chances should go up if mid week
    but also look at Pavillion key and the chickee huts.
       I don't know if they can be reserved ahead and
    whether the add.fees will be in by then but someone
    on this forum will know.

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,630 Captain
    Don't think you can reserve a campsite in advance... At any rate, here's the phone number for the Visitor's Center - they should be able to square you away.. (305) 242-7700.  This is their on-line brochure as well...
    https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm

Hope this helps
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • chalmerspchalmersp Posts: 266 Deckhand
    Thanks guys! Glad to hear about the lack of theft. Were not set on any campsite in particular, just knowing that we want to get south! Im sure ill come up with some more questions along the way, but that was the big hurdle.
    Bringing the MA will be a godsend compared to just the Gheenoe :D 
  • chalmerspchalmersp Posts: 266 Deckhand
    So it looks like were tentatively planning for the 3nd week of December. Definitely 1 overnight, hopefully 2 depending on what I can get off work. Anyone have tips for finding live bait down there around that time? All I have ever thrown down there has been artificial... Im bringing a net and would love to get some livies to help the luck.

• 10kman10kman Posts: 587 Officer
    Be sure to bring lots of shrimp.Many of us are using cut up
    small pieces of shrimp with a bucktail or with Gulp.The
    shrimp you can do ahead and put the cut up shrimp in
    a sealed container with kosher salt. Now you have backup
    to live bait.