C/R 11-8-18 Cobia etc.

xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,471 Officer
We started 6 miles outside of c/r 1, looking  for some nice cobia or hoping to maybe hook a kingfish. Saw a couple sky but couldn't get any to take our blue runners. Not much going on there so we headed back into crystal bay to a hole we often fish. Caught several sand trout and whiting then we had a cobia cruise the boat. James fished around in the livewell for the largest shrimp he could find....game on. After a couple of decent runs, he came to the net. Once in the boat he beat the heck out of us(don't they all). 33 1/2. Third time in a row that we've caught cobia there but the others were short. They are all fun to catch. Will spare you s. trout and whiting pics but here's james with his cobe. 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 802 Officer
    Great catch
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 886 Officer
    Nice!

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,438 Captain
    Way to go. Good work
    You should have been here yesterday
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 904 Officer
    yum. Good lob you guys. 2 days in row, you still got it!
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,150 Officer
    NIce
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,549 Moderator
    I may have seen you out there Ted ?  Nice cobia !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    Louie did You catch all the keeper Grouper?
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,471 Officer
    I may have seen you out there Ted ?  Nice cobia !good number of fish inside of marker 11
    I was out past the spoils banks for about three hours. There were four boats out there. Were you one of them?  If so, did you see any of the kingfish skying? May be my imagination but it seems like there are a few more each year. Hard to get those boogers to bite. We couldn't find any cobia out there either. Unusual but the water was way dirtier than normal. We caught a good number of fish inside of c/r 1. How did you do?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,178 Admiral
    do you throw a chum bag out for those kings?
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    We "run and gun."  They always seem to be with the larger bait schools. Early morning is when you see the most activity. The trick is to know when to cut your engine before putting the bait fish down and wind up in the bait school. I drift the same area for black tips and have my homemade chum out while doing that. Never had a kingfish in the slick that I know of but it wouldn't surprise me since spanish macs will get into the slick at times.I save the carcasses from sand trout and whiting to grind into gallon sized bloks which last much longer than store bought. Mixing sinking catfish food from the feed store helps too. Nasty work but I usually wind up with enough to last a couple of years. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,549 Moderator
    Picman said:
    Louie did You catch all the keeper Grouper?
    No. Clymer beat me to them. LOL  

Ted , thought it may have been you to the South of banks. ?

"You'll get your weather"
    Yes we wound up there with the incoming tide or chased bait schools to the area. Belated hello. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]