First time out in a LONG time... 1 for 9 tarpon and some nice snook mixed in

kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,784 Captain
Guys I've been slacking.  When the red tide really hit us in mid June I pretty much stopped fishing regularly.  I was turning charters away, the water was disgusting, and honestly I just didn't feel like being on the water at all.  It made me sick how nasty the water was.  I'd go out a little here and there with some mixed results, but I was just going through the motions.  This past weekend I took my daughter out fishing and I watched her catch 7 small mackerel out of a big pod we found off the beach.  I sat there watching the smile on her face and it reminded me why we fish.  Birds were dive bombing, mackerel were skying out of the water, and the cute little freckle face girl was just hootin and hollerin and grinnin from ear to ear.  I needed that reminder. 
So today I decided to go fish a good outgoing tide with very light wind and it's the day before a no-moon... perfect recipe for a good night... Within 5 minutes of having the baits out we hooked up on a 120 lb (conservative) tarpon.  Rodney the rod holder did a great job of setting the hook and we chased her around for 55 minutes before the hook pulled.  I wish I could have gotten that one in but I got tired of fighting it and really cranked the drag down... 10 minutes later the hook pulled.  All good though... we know there has to be more so we head back about a mile to where we started.  We jumped 8 more tarpon, got one to the boat, and mixed in a 36" and 28" snook in between the tarpon.  It was non-stop action during the outgoing, and I bet we missed more fish than we caught.  The tide turned and with it the fish decided they were done.
As we were fishing tonight I realized how happy we were.  We were hootin and hollerin and grinnin from ear to ear... and that's why I love this.

-Mag

Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,784 Captain

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,556 Moderator
    OH yes I too got  hit by the Red Tide dilemma and lost the desire.  You found the cure by watching your daughter, your a lucky guy.
     Your reports are always a good read.
    Thanks
    larrywitt  
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,069 AG
    edited November 7 #5
    I think you need to spend more time well up in the harbor if for no other reason than you have a few spots to go that are not susceptible to red tide.  To be a bit more blunt, in the years that we have bad red tide on the outside, the fishing on the inside tends to be really, really good and last longer than it typically does.  This season matched that description perfectly up here, and from what I'm hearing down there as well.  Regardless, I'm glad to hear  you got out there and had success.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,178 Admiral
    right on
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 1,951 Captain
    Nice report and pics.  We've made a few overnight trips to the east coast or fished the Harbor near El Joe with a Bull Bay thrown in.  Kept things interesting.   Curious what this coming cold front will do.  
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 802 Officer
    Thats great!!
    Jason :USA
  • Garage DogGarage Dog Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Great report Mags!

Don't want to sound like a pessimist but RT has returned to Boca Grande. I smelled it driving over the bridge this morning and at least half way down the island. Spoke to a beach walker that said she saw several dead fish during her 4 mile walk. I did however see 2 guys in a flats boat net some bait right next to shore around 26th st. I didn't see any dead fish in the old Mercabo basin or Gasparilla Pass but the smell was there.
  • Garage DogGarage Dog Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Any R/T reports for Lemon Bay? Thinking about going in the a/m.
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 571 Officer
     To be a bit more blunt, in the years that we have bad red tide on the outside, the fishing on the inside tends to be really, really good and last longer than it typically does.  

I agree with you 100%  
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,069 AG
    By the way, what's the deal with the bird?

Accidental bycatch?
    Haha...I have a video on my instagram where it's easier to see... we were in the middle of a big pod of mackerel and birds... this guy got tangled up in our line.  He didn't get hooked but the line got wrapped around his leg.  Had to bring him in for a quick untangling and a picture of course.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 682 Officer
    good job bud. I think most of us felt the same frustration... Looking forward to seeing a good season and cleaner water as long as the rains stay away...
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 597 Officer
    It is depressing. I think we need to get over it and try to catch some fish. My favorite areas got crushed. Sarasota bay and palma sola. Instead of going fishing, I drive to the boat ramps and look for life. It seems to be getting better. 

Next week I'm putting in some serious time on the water to see what's up.
  • dcrdcr Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Great report!   Thx Keith
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 629 Officer
    Good on ya dad.
  • mlangemlange Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Good to hear! I was wondering about the lack of posts? I was also wondering if there were other places that were not affected by the RT?