new guy, from 'up north' coming to SE florida!

well, im new to the forum but certainly not to florida, i am from ontario canada (dont hate!!) but honestly wish i was american lol been coming to florida since i was a kid (only 30 now, still young) as my grandparents have a condo in boca raton. i have been boating for a few years now and am making a dream come true by coming to back to boca raton for 2 full weeks this december and bringing my boat with me!! am super excited to get out on my own boat and do some fishing (i am an extreme firm believer in conservation catch and release). 

lately been hearing alot about the red tide situation and heard about quite a few hurricanes ripping through, just wanting to hear from some locals how the beaches have been and how the ocean and fishing has been? all information i get to hear here in ontario is just what media reports and they are usually dramatic and has me worried.

is there any tips, or special laws i should maybe know about as me being canadian i am sure we have different regulations... i do research but sometimes best advice comes from the local guys!

my boat is a 1987 four winns sundowner 225... SBC sterndrive.. not an ideal saltwater fishing boat but does good here.

i dont have bait live well built into the boat ike actual fishing boats but would a decently large cooler suffice for some life sardines or gogs? bait can be extremely expensive there and wouldnt want to waste my money on them if all they will do is just die in a cooler

Replies

• blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Good morning Joseph. The red tide has pretty much cleared up on the east coast now. There are no hurricanes coming our way at the moment and in December it is out of hurricane season so you should be good. The conditions for going out on the ocean in December are hard to predict. As for live bait it really depends how big a cooler and aerator  you have as to how well the live bait does. If you put too many fish they will die. Just my two cents. Good luck when you come down.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 554 Officer
    The fishing has not been great as of late, I think last Sept/Oct were better than this year, at least for me.  However I'm seeing signs that it is starting to improve.  I was just at my local bait shop and he mentioned that he has started to hear more about some mahi (which are my favorite targets).  To your questions....you can buy your FLA license on line and I think it will guide you to the right one.  Obviously it is a non-resident license but I'm not sure if there is a choice for non-resident and Canadian.  I have a number of good friends who are Canadian and they fish a lot, unfortunately they are not down yet so I can't ask them any details. 

You will certainly need some kind of aerator for the live bait.  You can pick up a battery operated one and they work pretty well.  Depending what you are fishing for live shrimp are a key bait and I know they will live for a while in a 5 gallon pail with an aerator.  You'll have to experiment a little with other live baits to see how they survive but I think you should be able to keep some a live for a while as long as you don't over stuff the cooler.

The inter-coastal is not too rough (usually) so you should be able to fish that with your boat with no problems.  You should also be able to fish the inlets as well.  Depending on the inlet you are trying to get in and out of and the design of your boat going out into the ocean might be another story.   It sounds like your boat is an open bow and it might not have a lot of height and deadrise in the hull so going into the ocean might be hit or miss.  Some of the inlets ie. Sebastian can be pretty bad depending on tide and wides so you might want to look at those before venturing out.  As for the stern drive, my dad had one years ago and we use to go out into the ocean to fish.  It was a good size boat with a small cabin and a big bow.

Like blakhawkdoc said the red tide is gone and hopefully won't come back. 

Good luck and enjoy the fishing
  • JosephHEMIJosephHEMI delray beachPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    edited November 5 #4
    thanks for the good comments guys! i am super stoked, like a kid in a candy store! my boat is a 23 foot cuddy cabin, decent size bow on it and has high sides, it isnt a fast boat (45mph) but its got alot of torque from the 350 chev. has an edelbrock performer intake and edelbrock 650 carb on it. i take it mostly to the great lakes here and they can get super rough. i rented a 24 foot sea hunt center console from delray marina a couple years ago and my boat actually handles the waves much better than the sea hunt did. 

my truck and boat:

edited November 5 #5
    Garysmo said:
    The fishing has not been great as of late, I think last Sept/Oct were better than this year, at least for me.  However I'm seeing signs that it is starting to improve.  I was just at my local bait shop and he mentioned that he has started to hear more about some mahi (which are my favorite targets).  

mahi in late fall? thought they all migrated to the warmer waters by now? caught some mahi couple years back, i took a solo charter with chip sheehan on chips ahoy, was best fishing day i ever had. he is definitely super knowledgable.

kingfish, amberjack, bonita, a blackfin tuna that got eaten by a bullshark lol, a few mahi, a sailfish, tilefish all in one day
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,909 Captain
    Pinfish will do better in a "cooler" type livewell than Gogs and work pretty good especially for bottom fish although you can catch pelagics with them too. My spot to catch them is in Lauderdale but I am sure there are spots in Boca also.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Pinfish will do better in a "cooler" type livewell than Gogs and work pretty good especially for bottom fish although you can catch pelagics with them too. My spot to catch them is in Lauderdale but I am sure there are spots in Boca also.
    i have searched on the net all over, do you know anyone or stores are that sell bait? including pinfish? im only staying 2 weeks so i am trying to make the most of it. learning locations and techniques to catch bait in such a short time probably isnt best idea. i am willing to fork over the money for some good bait but not if they are going to die.. i have a 96qt marine igloo cooler i think i am going to put an aerator in - not the sall one that blows bubbles but one with an actual pump that will spray water into the cooler
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 554 Officer
    Garysmo said:
    The fishing has not been great as of late, I think last Sept/Oct were better than this year, at least for me.  However I'm seeing signs that it is starting to improve.  I was just at my local bait shop and he mentioned that he has started to hear more about some mahi (which are my favorite targets).  

mahi in late fall? thought they all migrated to the warmer waters by now? caught some mahi couple years back, i took a solo charter with chip sheehan on chips ahoy, was best fishing day i ever had. he is definitely super knowledgable.

kingfish, amberjack, bonita, a blackfin tuna that got eaten by a bullshark lol, a few mahi, a sailfish, tilefish all in one day
    Yeah last fall I did real well with the mahi.  I got some everytime I went out.  The first week of Dec last year I had 16 in  3 days.......ranging from 8lbs to 25lbs.   Your boat looks a lot like the boat my dad had and we use to fish the offshore reefs all the time.