Jupiter 3 Nov Blackfin

Expecting a nice morning with a freshening breeze stacking waves by early afternoon we started trying to net some mullet about 7.  That wasn't easy, but with a handful of mixed baits we headed out with a plan to pull 3 feathers and an armed teaser.

We found steeper seas than expected, but it was fishable.  We saw nice sign and caught fish through most of the day.  The seas slacked as the sun came out afternoon -- quite the reverse of the forecast.  We fished through a slight lull and then saw more sign.  We landed two dolphin to 10 pounds in the afternoon.  We also put over a dozen small to football blackfin on ice, and released three skipjack tuna.

Today was the first time I've caught something under a frigate bird, except in the Keys.  Of course, it is baby steps -- it was just a bonita.  We had most of our action between 175 and 300 off the loran tower.  Most of the live baits jumped the well or were released intentionally at the end of the day.  All our lures, except the armed teaser, caught fish.  The tuna were puking little stuff, maybe anchovies.  I'd suggest the smallest stuff in blue, white, purple, or pink you can get out in front of a fish right now.

I'm tired now and I hope the Advil chase a way the soreness from getting toss about by the short period waves.

Replies