Jupiter 3 Nov Blackfin

Expecting a nice morning with a freshening breeze stacking waves by early afternoon we started trying to net some mullet about 7.  That wasn't easy, but with a handful of mixed baits we headed out with a plan to pull 3 feathers and an armed teaser.

We found steeper seas than expected, but it was fishable.  We saw nice sign and caught fish through most of the day.  The seas slacked as the sun came out afternoon -- quite the reverse of the forecast.  We fished through a slight lull and then saw more sign.  We landed two dolphin to 10 pounds in the afternoon.  We also put over a dozen small to football blackfin on ice, and released three skipjack tuna.

Today was the first time I've caught something under a frigate bird, except in the Keys.  Of course, it is baby steps -- it was just a bonita.  We had most of our action between 175 and 300 off the loran tower.  Most of the live baits jumped the well or were released intentionally at the end of the day.  All our lures, except the armed teaser, caught fish.  The tuna were puking little stuff, maybe anchovies.  I'd suggest the smallest stuff in blue, white, purple, or pink you can get out in front of a fish right now.

I'm tired now and I hope the Advil chase a way the soreness from getting toss about by the short period waves.

Replies

• Gulfstream23Gulfstream23 JupiterPosts: 14 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report. I’m off this week with family coming in from out of town and looking forward to getting out.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,486 Officer
    Way to go Barron.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 553 Officer
    Thanks for the report.  Glad to hear that the fish seem to be coming back.  Hopefully the seas lay down, its been tough with the chop and limited fish.   
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 505 Officer
    nice catching.  good to know there is some action out there
  • johnalkijohnalki Posts: 505 Officer
    Thanks for the report and catching info.  I went out Wednesday for a few hours trolling into
     some big swells and managed to find some flying fish and scattered weed between 70'-120'.    finding only a few bonitas,but was happy to be on the water after some boat repairs.
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report. 
  • 20psimr20psimr Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    edited November 12 #8
    Was a bit rough but as always a great trip with Baron and I always learn a ton! Here is the aftermath, he only wanted one filet and a couple blackfin so I had plenty to feed the kids! (And Baron's frigate bonita that always ends up in my bait freezer!)

That night for an appetizer they had Sesame Seared Tuna:

And I had Blackened Mahi tacos that were out of this world! Secret ingredient was Cotija cheese, had some left over from Carnitas tacos I made in the Sous Vide and man my tacos wont be without it ever again!

Delicious trip Baron!
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc