Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Where are the gag on Dunedin Causeway?

MangroveflMangrovefl Posts: 14 Greenhorn
Well... where are they? So so so so many hang ups at the second bridge looking north, I mean kiss basically anything you throw that way if you don’t hook up or can reel up like a god because you will get hung. I’ve seen so many people get hung and I’ve lost many a lures and rigs there. 

At the draw bridge you can cast out a nice grouper rig and avoid the dumb electrical wiring and buoys, but boy oh boy you better pray to Poseidon to get past the literal minefield of wires and stuff. Even pulled in someone’s 12ft cast net with a very small dead baby blacktip in it????? Thank god for 100#. Anyways, which side can I get some juicy pins out to hungry gag without losing $5 every time I get hung???

Follow up question to any causeway-familiar anglers out there, what rig you do prefer for shark fishing? I just about to call it but decided to give it a last ditch effort and freelined a finger mullet and had a 4ft bonnet head give me a run for my money. Must have gotten real lucky but I’m trying to figure out an efficient rig where I don’t get hung up automatically on whatever the hell is in the water round those bridges. 

Replies

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,072 Officer
    I have never heard of grouper being caught off Dunedin causeway 

• MangroveflMangrovefl Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Lostconch said:
    I have never heard of grouper being caught off Dunedin causeway 

Yeah neither did I till last week. Found out apparently they pull keepers out regularly... 

After I made this post I got out there and one guy had a keeper in his cooler and I watched another squirrely fella pull a 10incher up and quickly put him in his cooler and haul **** out. Called FWC but he was long gone of course.  

They are definitely out there if you don’t mind the drunks, the Yankees and the 1 man 20 rod crews. 

Follow up question to any causeway-familiar anglers out there, what rig you do prefer for shark fishing? I just about to call it but decided to give it a last ditch effort and freelined a finger mullet and had a 4ft bonnet head give me a run for my money. Must have gotten real lucky but I’m trying to figure out an efficient rig where I don’t get hung up automatically on whatever the hell is in the water round those bridges. 
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 316 Deckhand
    I live real close and fish frequently. Catch many, many juveniles but only one keeper in over 20 years, and that one was while fishing for snook.
    not sayin you won’t catch one, but will say ‘ Good Luck’
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Something i use to do back in ohio gishing snaggy river spots was make a sinker out of a couple inches of line, a tiny swivel a large split shot.

Run the line through the swivel, tie one the few inches of line toother end of the swivel and attach the shot to it.

If it gets hung up the shot will slide off.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,449 Moderator
    I have to think the 10" joovies are more common than the 24" in the guy's cooler.
  • MangroveflMangrovefl Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    I have to think the 10" joovies are more common than the 24" in the guy's cooler.
    No doubt. 

I think what’s even more common is people throwing shrimp on 12oz rigs at my line straight out from myself and tangling me up. 

Some other dude out this morning putting 3in sea bass and tiny thread fins on ice in his cooler. How are you even going to cook up such small sea bass, I swear the reason the fish are getting sparse out here is all these people getting away with smallies. You’d think you’d see FWC out there at least sometimes...

In apalachicola we’d get checked by the warden at least every time other we went out. It’s like the FWC doesnt even have any officers down here, they pretend that red tide is the reason there are so few snook and reds right now when the truth is it’s just a million snowbirds who don’t know the regulations and don’t care because they never get checked taking all the juveniles and breeders. 
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 425 Deckhand
    Lots of water to patrol around the area. Last time I was checked I was fishing Johns Pass for snook. 
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,195 Officer
    fishing from shore and little piers in pinellas county is all about finding a place to yourself. no different from a boat. stay away from others, create your own headspace and forget about others. enjoys nature. I often take a rod with me when i am down there and fish for an hour or two from shore and catch quite a few fish. I do not ever fish next to or near someone, unless its a buddy. 
    If you have access to honeymoon after hours, there's an excellent opportunity to catch plenty of nice fish. be patient, chill and enjoy being in new places. we have silver trout here. fun easy and good eatin. just off dog bch. where big snook roam at night.

as for various LE I get checked about once/year. been checked by all 3 even at the same time...