Water Quality At The Stuart Sand Bar?

RyanRyan Posts: 26 Greenhorn
Hi,
Does anyone have any reports about the water quality of the Stuart Sand Bar?  We went to Hobe Sound last weekend and it was awesome!  Then headed down to Jupiter and it was very clean.  We live in PSL and are looking to stay closer to home.  Any reports would be awesome.  Bait was all over Hobe Sound Sand Bar.  Tight lines!!!  Thank you!

Replies

• Jerseygirl1Jerseygirl1 Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Was at Stuart sand bar weekend before last and was surprised by how clean it was been going to Jupiter all summer because of water had short time so stayed here and was shocked 
  • RyanRyan Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Hey thanks for the response.  Did you guys go in the water?  We have a 5 year old and she loves to play in the sand.  
    We did. Did not have the kids with us but would have let them in the water if they where. At high tide you could see bottom in 10’ this was 2 weeks ago just hope it stays that way Jupiter is great but much easier going out here 
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,278 Captain
    Why do you all think there is some big problem with the water in Stuart, Jupiter?  
    Hint: It's brown on outgoing, clear on incoming tides.
    I've been rotating between Stuart, Jupiter, PB, and Boynton all year and am yet to fail catching fish or having a great time due to water issues, YES right smack dab in the middle of whatever y'all are worrying about. Don't believe the hype please. GO TO the FWC redtide status report page and think for yourselves. 

If you can convince your self there is nothing wrong with the water quality in Stuart this year that’s your problem I have lived here my whole life and have never seen the water this bad and there has never been a red tide on the east coast my whole life. Not comfortable letting my kids swim in that but if you up for it go for it 
  • RyanRyan Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    We took a ride down to Bath Tub and everything seems fine. Weird seeing the signs up still but the water by the islands and sand bars look nice again!  Hopefully the wind dies down and we can hit the water tomorrow.  Hopefully it stays this way and keeps improving.  Brian B Thanks for the info my 5 yr old daughter loves the water and We want to keep her safe and us of course too!
  • mik8881mik8881 Posts: 111 Deckhand
    edited November 4 #8
    We stopped by yesterday before anchoring up in Palm City to watch the air show . Water was beautiful.  I have always referred to the attached report. 

https://www.floridaocean.org/uploads/files/Research/Water%20Quality/181101.pdf
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,278 Captain
    If you can convince your self there is nothing wrong with the water quality in Stuart this year that’s your problem I have lived here my whole life and have never seen the water this bad and there has never been a red tide on the east coast my whole life. Not comfortable letting my kids swim in that but if you up for it go for it 
    Easy to convince when I look at facts like the FWC daily redtide report which typically states zero to very low redtide in the area and I've been to Stuart, inspected the green algae and note that it generally collects upstream and where there is little to no current, not around the sandbar and many other places. I catch fish there all the time and help the local economy by not spreading fear but facts.  Perhaps you are simply not old enough to experience redtide on the east coast bc although rare it has happened, to my recollection, at least four times since 1958.  But no problem, stay off the water...don't bother me at all. 
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 781 Officer
    Ryan - I truly respect your concern for your daughter and family.  I fish weekly on the river and suffer from allergy problems which I believe without scientific proof is caused by the river.  That being said, last week I attended a movie at the Blake Library followed by two respected PhDs discussing scientific facts about Cynobacteria.  Parts of the movie was filmed and discussed the Stuart bloom from 2016.  I highly recommend you checking the internet and renting the movie "Toxic Puzzle". It shows a correlation of cyanobacteria and incidents of ALS and Alzeiheimers, two very debilitating and deadly diseases.  I'm still processing what I learned but it was eye opening to say the least.  
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 198 Deckhand

There was red tide in 2007 on the east coast and there have been 8 documented cases since the 1950's according to the FWC. Just saying that red tide is nothing new here on the east coast they are just rare. The water up north in Fort Pierce has been clean also. The past few weeks the water has been clearer than I have seen since Irma. I am sure the dry spell we had, has a lot to do with that.