Home Off Topic

Propane tank transportation

kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,352 Admiral
edited October 2018 in Off Topic #1
Long story short I want to deep fry a turkey, but that will require driving 2 hours with a propane tank in the car, no trunk but a hatchback.  It makes me slightly nervous but also seems safe enough.  Any thoughts or insights?  The car will stay cool enough and the tank has already been used, meaning it isn't full.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,241 AG
    Can you put a couple trash bags over the tank and then seal them up?  
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,352 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #3
    Can you put a couple trash bags over the tank and then seal them up?  
    Sure, that should be easy enough.  Driving with the windows down is also easy enough.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited October 2018 #4
    I've always driven around with the propane tank wedged between the front and back seats.

But where the heck in Florida are you that you're two hours away from propane?
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,579 AG
    It is against every safety rule written about transporting Propane tanks.  The issue is if something happens and the gas leaks and fills the vehicle. 

That said, a lot of people do it. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

The trip home is going to be a mess with all that oil sloshing around.    
    edited October 2018 #7
    I've always driven around with the propane tank wedged between the front and back seats.

But where the heck in Florida are you that you're two hours away from propane?
    I don't live in Florida, I just fish there.  I'm in Carolina and plan to spend thanksgiving in the mountains in a cabin near nothing.  Meaning I want to take my tank.

My in-laws live in Florida on the water with a boat.  Which is why I fish there often as I can

-Walter Payton
    edited October 2018 #8
    Keller, If traveling with the tank is a concern, perhaps buy/rent one locally and then return it?

p.s. Thanks Cad, I had no idea.  Then again, it might be a mile to the store.  Next time I'll drive it with the windows down.  :)
    The only other thing is if your car has a hitch on the back, you could get one of those carriers that goes on the trailer hitch and strap it to that so it's outside the vehicle.  
    I learned something this morning.  Thanks Salty.
    I'm leaning towards it being ok, just leave the windows down.  I can easily strap it so it doesn't fall over.

-Walter Payton
    Dumb question but I'll ask anyways:

Do you smoke?   I'd recommend not
    I do not smoke, but I do dip.

-Walter Payton
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,548 AG
    cadman said:
    It is against every safety rule written about transporting Propane tanks.  The issue is if something happens and the gas leaks and fills the vehicle. 

That said, a lot of people do it. 
    That and the trash bag would also trap the gas making it easier to ignite.  I wouldn't worry about the tank getting too hot,  that would be the least of my concerns.   People have tanks sitting in the sun and garages all over and you don't hear about them exploding.  

I also get paranoid transporting propane tanks.  I left a full one behind when we moved.  One of my concern is if there is a leak or something hits it and it leaks. My biggest concern is if I am in an accident.  I know we travel with a gas tank on vehicles, but I don't want to add a second volatile gas .

Captain Todd Approves

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,025 Moderator
    I see no problem carrying it in the car. I've done it all my life. Valve closed and secured in an upright condition, You'll be fine. I've carried them back and forth to Florida often.

I would not carry one on a trailer hitch carrier. It could get pretty exciting if someone rear ends you.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,536 AG
    I see no problem carrying it in the car. I've done it all my life. Valve closed and secured in an upright condition, You'll be fine. I've carried them back and forth to Florida often.

I would not carry one on a trailer hitch carrier. It could get pretty exciting if someone rear ends you.
    Wile E. Jet pack?
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    mplspug said:
      I wouldn't worry about the tank getting too hot,  that would be the least of my concerns.   People have tanks sitting in the sun and garages all over and you don't hear about them exploding. 
    The issue isn't the tank exploding, the danger in a sealed car is the pressure release valve releasing gas into the car, and potentially creating a fireball.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 865 Officer
    edited October 2018 #20
    Also driven around with them in suvs, but 2hrs away, may be worth the extra $ to get it locally.
    How pissed would you be to run out halfway through a cook?
    It would be more exciting if it just came off the tray, hed never know till he unloaded, and checked the news.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,536 AG
    mplspug said:
      I wouldn't worry about the tank getting too hot,  that would be the least of my concerns.   People have tanks sitting in the sun and garages all over and you don't hear about them exploding. 
    The issue isn't the tank exploding, the danger in a sealed car is the pressure release valve releasing gas into the car, and potentially creating a fireball.
    Every high school kid that ever took a chemistry class knows this, c’mon!
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    back when I was a kid we saw a car explode due to a propane tank.  Old lady had one in the trunk, hot July day, pressure valve popped, she turned on the car and the electric antenna must have sparked (or a light or something).  Blew it right up

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,548 AG
    mplspug said:
    True, which is what I addressed pretty much my entire reply.  

Captain Todd Approves

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,021 Admiral
    Propane tanks have a regulator that won't allow it to release gas. They're 46 at Home depot for a new one or bring in an empty to exchange it
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
    mplspug said:
    That is the issue. That is why you don't read about them exploding in the sun or hot areas. The valve will release the excess pressure. 

Back 30 years ago when I filled tanks and had to take a class on it, inside the passenger compartment was a big no no. I saw on your link Amerigas says it is fine. Things change over time.

Mini Mart Magnate

Propane tanks have a regulator that won't allow it to release gas. They're 46 at Home depot for a new one or bring in an empty to exchange it
    So how does the tank release pressure if it's sitting in the hot sun?

Not doubting you, just trying to learn.
  • marathonmarathon Posts: 103 Deckhand
    34 year employee of a natural gas and for 20 year propane supplier as well. They sell plugs for the valve on the tank called pol plugs. Buy one, plug the tank and make sure the hand valve is turned tightly off. The plug is left hand thread and will stop any leakage. There is no pressure release valve on 20lb cylinders, they do have limiters built in to the valves on newer tanks but they aren't pressure relief regulators. Do the above and secure the tank from rolling or flying around in an accident and be on your merry way. PS, the fried turkey cooker craze is what predicated the newer tanks having BTU limiters built into the control valves. If the flow during usage exceeds a certain amount of BTU use the tank checks itself. Think flow limiter.
    marathon said:
    There is no pressure release valve on 20lb cylinders, they do have limiters built in to the valves on newer tanks but they aren't pressure relief regulators.
    What???

According to the National Propane Gas association,  20lb tanks have to be equipped with PRV's (Pressure Relief Valves) by law.

https://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/FS_10202 Pressure Relief Valve and Propane Cylinder Performance Testing.pdf

edited October 2018 #29
    delete

Mini Mart Magnate

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,782 Admiral
    dave44 said:

Wile E. Jet pack?

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    What’s the big deal about hauling a little propane tank? Piece of cake.