BBI Wahoo...Finally

Out of Boynton this morning just before first light. We had decided to troll fairly big baits in hopes of maybe a hoo. We had a big strip on a red/black Islander down deep on a No. 6 planer, a horse ballyhoo with another Islander behind a 24 oz lead, a mullet and another strip on top. We started directly in front of the inlet and did the wahoo shuffle, out to 250 and back in to 90, heading north. About a half mile north of the inlet in 150-180' the planer tripped and the 50 Intl' started singing. It was roughly 15 min or so and we got the planer to the rod and began hand lining that 60' 250# leader... very nerve wracking as you all know. But, we got a good gaff shot and put a nice lil hoo, about 30-35 lbs in the box. Back to the dock, boat and fish cleaned by 9:30. Not a bad way to spend the morning.  

Replies

• Dustin BoyntonDustin Boynton Boynton beachPosts: 333 Deckhand
    Congrats nice report
  • JWPBJWPB Posts: 168 Deckhand
    Nice.   did you run high speed with the planer out or slow down to a normal speed?
    Jupiter 29FS
  • Blue H2OBlue H2O Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Just normal speed 
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,712 Captain
    edited October 31 #5
    Nice job Pete. 

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 550 Officer
    congrats.......I'm still fishing for my first one.  Went out today but it was pretty rough so had to change the target a bit.  Ended up with some kings so it wasn't a total lose.
  • AftershockAftershock Posts: 204 Deckhand
    Way to go!  Love it when a plan comes together like that.
  • ObsessionObsession Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Congrats on the wahoo!

Stay Safe

Chris

ACR Electronics, Inc. (Day Job) 954-862-2147

EntryPoint Decorative Door Glass. Stuart FL (Family Business) 772-463-6500

• blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Congrats on your catch. Thank you for the report.

• jayfrizzojayfrizzo Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    edited October 31 #10
    Congrats!

I started using planer bridles last year after going 3/5 on kings because I suck at handlining.   Love them. 
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,712 Captain
    Just picked up a couple LARGE chunks from P&P.  That was a solid fish!!!!
    Hey Jayfrizzo, or anyone else who can help, what is a planer birdie? It sounds intriguing, but I can't find any info. 
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Blue H2O said:
    Hey Jayfrizzo, or anyone else who can help, what is a planer birdie? It sounds intriguing, but I can't find any info. 
    It looks like this. Most that Ive seen use smaller brass clips in place of the longline clips here, but its all personal preference. This allows you to remove the planer and continue fighting the fish all the way to the boat from the rod. I prefer this setup for that reason alone, but it also prevents the line from getting sucked into the motor, especially on bracketed outboards. 

Image result for fishing planer bridle
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,628 Captain
    edited November 5 #14
    Congratulations Blue H20 !  Thanks for the report.  The releasable planners that I have seen were not called Planner Birdies, and did not use long line clips like the one watergator posted.  Instead they just had a cut oversized swivel snaps that hooked onto the line, and could theoretically come unhooked.  The long liner clips are a more secure method.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,278 Captain
    Blue H2O said:
    Search the topic on the hull truth dot com, there will be lots of information. More commonly used in NC, etc. I believe too. I've been using them down here for years myself.  Used with a wind on leader you don't have to handline and control the fish better particularly on a smaller boat or with less crew. Also better then "poor mans planer" as you will not have a planer tied off to your cleat.  I've also started using a bridle on my cigar weight on the other side. We run one planer and one cigar weight which is common on smaller boats where two planers just won't work well. 
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 349 Deckhand
    edited November 7 #16
    It's easy to make your own in-line planer bridles using a couple feet of 150# braid and a couple small Diamond bullet wind-on swivels. Attach a couple strong double-snap swivels to each end of your planer.

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Nice! Jayfrizzo thanks for the initial comment and Watergator thank you for taking the time to answer. I think that is a fantastic setup and I will definitely be giving that a try.  Thanks again
    Thank you to all for the great info! I actually fished today, but I haven't had time to get the planer release set up yet, but I will.