used 189 price check

NinjahGooseNinjahGoose CaryPosts: 8 Greenhorn
Hi everyone!  My wife and I have been talking recently about our next boat.  We've been looking at maybe upgrading from our current Tidewater 1910 to an Egret Moccasin 210 in the next couple of years.  Well the wife caught wind of the price to build a new one and said it's too expensive, plus she would like the boat to fit in the garage at home (I hadn't thought about that and it would actually be really nice to hit up the lakes when the boat isn't at the in-laws beach house).  I've been through the internet and can't seem to find any younger 189's for sale, everything seems to be 2009 or later, and most of them are 90's boats.  The ones I can find (mainly on boat trader) are all listed really high too, with a 2009 being listed for $42,000!  Now I know the used boat market has been going nuts the past year or so but is this actually a decent price to pay for an almost 10 year old boat?  I have a build sheet from Frank for a new 189 and it barely crests $60K.

I have no problem waiting for the right boat to come along, I'm not even ready to upgrade yet.  Since y'all are the Egret experts what kind of price should I be looking to pay for a 5ish (+ or - a few years) year old boat?

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,027 Officer
    The first thing you want to do is take the wife out for a ride in either a 18'9 Egret or a 210 Moccasin. Once she rides the boat she'll understand what it's all about. You can't go wrong with either boat. As far as price goes, Egret is one of the best boats for holding their value. Like you said  "The ones I can find (mainly on boat trader) are all listed really high too, with a 2009 being listed for $42,000! " Now you said you can get a new one for less than 60K. That's 60K today he paid less than 60K 10 years ago. See what I mean about holding their value. If you were to look for another brand 18ft. flats boat made in 2009 and you put them side by side then ride them both and compare them I'm pretty sure you'll take the Egret every time.

If you can remember one thing from reading my reply remember this "Quality" remains long after the price is forgotten.  
  • NinjahGooseNinjahGoose CaryPosts: 8 Greenhorn
    We will for sure go for a ride before actually purchasing anything, this is all just hypothetical and me doing some research.  I full expect to pay more than average for an Egret since the build quality is legendary in the community.  I'm just trying to get an educated guess at used 189 prices from people that have been in and around the Egret family.

I would like to spend $30-$35,000 when the time comes for me to buy one.  The problem is the boats in that price range are from the late 90's-early 00's and come with 15-20 year old motors.  I'm not going to buy a hull at that price just to turn around and spend $15,000 to repower it in a couple years (plus outboard technology has really improved in the last decade or so). 
    There you have it. Anywhere from $30 to $35,000, all you have to do now is find one for sale in your price range. I have a similar situation as you. I'm looking for a 1970's Porsche 911 in good condition in the $25,000 price range.

• smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    I was in the same situation a year or so ago. I was looking at used 189s and 2011s. When looking at a 10 year old boat, in my opinion you almost have to know a person that knows that person selling the boat to make it worth it. Your going to wind up buying a 10 year old boat for 35, which is well worth it, then find your self replacing the 10 year old trolling motor, wiring, etc and come up with a 45k'ish boat that most likely has an older motor unless it was re powered. A few years back there was a guy who's on this forum that was selling a florida built Kevlar boat (silverdreams). Probably the nicest older egrets I've ever seen and was worth every penny what he sold it for. I wound up building a moccasin and have never looked back. 
    Does anyone think I will actually be able to find a 5 year old boat in my price range? 
  • reddawgreddawg Posts: 140 Deckhand
    Your budget needs some help.  But this seems to be a decent price for this Moccasin
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2014-egret-moccasin-103409602/?refSource=standard listing
    I'm looking just like you are, and like you, are having a hard time with the prices of boats (in general).  Young 20's are also good boats but again, pricey.
  • smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Does anyone think I will actually be able to find a 5 year old boat in my price range? 
    No
    There you have it. Anywhere from $30 to $35,000, all you have to do now is find one for sale in your price range. I have a similar situation as you. I'm looking for a 1970's Porsche 911 in good condition in the $25,000 price range.

This was a my nice way to say. Not only NO. But H&ll No! 

hahaha.  Thanks for crushing my dreams guys!  All I can do is see what happens in the next couple of years.  From looking around it looks like I would only be able to save about 5-10K going with a used 189 when it comes down to it.  After updating electronics, new wiring, and a possible repower it's going to be really close to the cost of a new boat, but still would be a 10 year old hull (if that's what I could find). 

Maybe I could go new and keep the rigging to a minimum at first.  Just hull, power, and trolling motor.  Should shave several thousand off the price. 

Thanks for your input everyone.  I'll report back whenever I'm actually making moves to a new boat. 
    There are so many other 18ft flats boats out there....I have to ask why an 18 Egret? Have you been on one? Where, how and with how many people do you plan on fishing  90% of the time with this boat?
    There are so many other 18ft flats boats out there....I have to ask why an 18 Egret? Have you been on one? Where, how and with how many people do you plan on fishing  90% of the time with this boat?
    That's a good question.  I have never been on an Egret boat in the water.  I've seen a 189 on land and got to walk on it and just have a general look around.  I really like the layout and build quality of the 189.  No other flats boat has the same kind of layout as the 189.  The Hewes Redfisher is kind of similar but is 7" wider, much slower, doesn't have lockable rod lockers, or the same build quality.  I really like the East Cape Vantage too but it has a narrowish beam and doesn't have lockable rod lockers.

Like I said in an earlier post, this is all just me doing research well ahead of time.  Who knows what I will actually end up with when the time comes?  The wife might put her foot down and want a larger boat for cruising so I could end up with a 22-25' bay boat, only time will tell.  Working in medicine has taught me to have a plan and about 5 different back up plans, and that has spilled into my personal life.  
    Interesting that you may end up with a 22 to 25 ft. bayboat. I've been told and seen on forums where some folks are saying that the 18 Egret rides better tan a 22 Pathfinder. I've been on those Pathfinders and prefer my boat. That being said. I spent several hours chatting with Frank (Owner of Egret Boat Company) were I mentioned that I rode the 201 Moccasin and can see how someone that wanted an 18 would find themselves buying a Moccasin.

I like the rod lockers and the amount of storage, plus the baitwells on the 18 Egret. But 2 more feet of waterline is also pretty good, take a look at those Moccasins. If you want to learn more about the Egrets just keep asking questions. If you want to talk offline email me a number at: [email protected] 

That part was rhetorical.  I'm just saying that I could end up getting anything.  I've looked into a Moccasin (even messaged Phil on THT) but I'm not sure that's the boat for us.  I like my boats to have a large front casting deck and the Moccasin's is really undersized.  I know people have said theres enough room up there for 2, and maybe so, I just like to walk around while making casts.  If Frank had the ability to pull the front deck back about a foot of so I would be all over that!  I would save the money and build a new Moccasin. 
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Save your money. There is a reason why there are not that many boats for sale. They usually get sold to a friend or like me have no real intention of selling mine. I bought mine at two years old. That was in 1999 and still have it. I have upgraded or replaced the wiring (once), trolling motor, electronics and recently rebuilt my original engine with a new power-head from Yamaha. With the quality of their build all I'm doing is replacing those items that wear out. 
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 452 Deckhand
    edited November 3 #18

That part was rhetorical.  I'm just saying that I could end up getting anything.  I've looked into a Moccasin (even messaged Phil on THT) but I'm not sure that's the boat for us.  I like my boats to have a large front casting deck and the Moccasin's is really undersized.  I know people have said theres enough room up there for 2, and maybe so, I just like to walk around while making casts.  If Frank had the ability to pull the front deck back about a foot of so I would be all over that!  I would save the money and build a new Moccasin. 
    There is always the 2011 if you want more casting deck.  I wondered about the same thing prior to buying my Moccasin but it's been a non-issue. 

If you love everything about the boat except for the size of the front deck, have Frigid Rigid or a custom shop build you a big fiberglass fish box 13" high and the width of the deck where it meets the cockpit and you can have a removable casting deck extension and no need for a separate cooler.

Or, basically a casting platform with tie downs that instead of fitting on top of the front deck, it fits on the cockpit floor flush with the front deck.  It would be light, relatively seamless, removable for those days on the reef, and provide shade for a big fishbag. 

Take a look at the Dragon Fly 24' Bayboat.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,003 Captain
    Funny how we all have different wants/needs... If I'm ever fortunate enough to afford an Egret 189... I'd be looking for one of the old Miami boats (before they moved from here, saltwater junkie will have the exact year... Unless the motor was almost new the first order of business would be to sell the motor that came with it and re-power... Of course if I had one - it would be a working boat...  I don't mind older hulls since the Maverick I work out of is 30 years old now... and I can't remember how many motors it's had over the years... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    TXWahoo said:
    There is always the 2011 if you want more casting deck.  I wondered about the same thing prior to buying my Moccasin but it's been a non-issue. 

If you love everything about the boat except for the size of the front deck, have Frigid Rigid or a custom shop build you a big fiberglass fish box 13" high and the width of the deck where it meets the cockpit and you can have a removable casting deck extension and no need for a separate cooler.

Or, basically a casting platform with tie downs that instead of fitting on top of the front deck, it fits on the cockpit floor flush with the front deck.  It would be light, relatively seamless, removable for those days on the reef, and provide shade for a big fishbag. 

I've thought about the 2011 but If I was going flats style I would rather have the 189.  I don't have "the need for speed" you get from the 2011.  

I live in NC and don't do much (any really) offshore fishing.  I really enjoy drifting inshore creeks using the trolling motor and catching drum, flounder, and trout.  There are the very rare days when I go to the artificial reefs and wrecks right off the coast to catch big drum and flounder, I just do that for fun and never keep the fish.  

I really like the idea of a removable casting deck that could be made to fit perfect against the deck! It could attach to the floor of the cockpit in a couple places and I'm sure it would be really sturdy and shouldn't cost that much.  I could remove it for days we're just going to the sandbar to have more room for the dogs to walk around.  You might have just saved the Moccasin for me!

Take a look at the Dragon Fly 24' Bayboat.
    That's way too much boat for my needs.  I really don't want to go past that 20' mark (the moccasin is pushing that) due to cost and size.  I would never use a boat in that size range for what it is intended.  Ideally what will happen is I will be able to find a decent deal on a 189, and my in-laws will pick up a used cruising boat for when we want to go to the sand bars or north end of Masonboro island.

Funny how we all have different wants/needs... If I'm ever fortunate enough to afford an Egret 189... I'd be looking for one of the old Miami boats (before they moved from here, saltwater junkie will have the exact year... Unless the motor was almost new the first order of business would be to sell the motor that came with it and re-power... Of course if I had one - it would be a working boat...  I don't mind older hulls since the Maverick I work out of is 30 years old now... and I can't remember how many motors it's had over the years... 
    It is interesting how everyone needs are different.  That's one of the reasons that really drawn me to Egret, the boats seem to fill the vast majority of my wants/needs.  

Thank you everyone for your comments and help, I really appreciate it.  I will report back if