Home Off Topic

Gun-Related Injuries Send More Than 8,000 Kids A Year To The ER

Replies

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,543 AG
    Yep , self important ranting and raving.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    dave44 said:
    Apparently, that's not a good way to push an agenda.   
    Vote for the other candidate
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,543 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    That’s probably right, they should stick to medicine. 
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    I am the "NBA" and I vote.  And I have a mean jump shot.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,974 AG
    Franks and beans!
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:

dave44 said:
    On Monday, a guy with some serious problems and a gun goes to Mercy Hospital in Chicago and killed a doctor, a pharmacist, and an LEO.  He apparently had a license to carry.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:

dave44 said:
    On Monday, a guy with some serious problems and a gun goes to Mercy Hospital in Chicago and killed a doctor, a pharmacist, and an LEO.  He apparently had a license to carry.
    A shooting in Chicago made the news?  
    Prayers for the victims.
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:

dave44 said:
    A shooting in Chicago made the news?  
    Prayers for the victims.
    I don't think the doctor belonged to a gang.  It's kind of late for prayers.
    Never late for prayers, jr.

Resinhead said:
    Never late for prayers, jr.

Once again, you are a victim of incorrect thinking.
    Sorry but I believe in God.

And thank you again for not having children.
  • WraithWraith Posts: 1,653 Captain
    Cyclist said:

Gun injuries, including many from assaults, sent 75,000 U.S. children and teens to emergency rooms over nine years at a cost of almost $3 billion, a first-of-its-kind study found. Researchers called it the first nationally representative study on ER visits for gun injuries among U.S. kids.

They found that more than one-third of the wounded children were hospitalized and 6 percent died. Injuries declined during most of the 2006-14 study, but there was an upswing in the final year. The researchers found that 11 of every 100,000 children and teens treated in U.S. emergency rooms have gun-related injuries. That amounts to about 8,300 kids each year.

The scope of the problem is broader though; the study doesn't include kids killed or injured by gunshots who never made it to the hospital, nor does it count costs for gunshot patients after they're sent home.

"I don't know what more we need to see in the world to be able to come together and tackle this problem," said Dr. Faiz Gani, the lead author and a researcher at Johns Hopkins University medical school.

more at the link

Well, high school sports send an average 30,000 kids to the hospital each year. 14 and under average 3.5 million sports related doctor visits each year. Ban sports! Do it for the children.....
    SLOP, (Standard Liberal Operating Procedure).
    Cyclist would love to respond but unfortunately his personal tainted views are no longer allowed here.

Amen!
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    @Resinhead Did he get taken off the forum?
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • JWTJWT Posts: 726 Officer
    it would be an appropriate irony if it were over something he ultimately posted on this thread! 

just as an aside........ how can one tell when someone gets sent to camp?
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,592 AG
    JWT said:
    it would be an appropriate irony if it were over something he ultimately posted on this thread! 

just as an aside........ how can one tell when someone gets sent to camp?
    Their avatar says user banned, carry on. Go to the first page of this and look at Cyclist's avatar. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,060 Captain
    Have no fear, Westwall, I think you would struggle to sound like me if you used the quote button.    

That said, Rstyle could not have predicted your "let's just confiscate all firearms" response any better:
    it seems like whenever anything is discussed those that want others to solve the problem start jumping up and down screaming that they are trying to take their guns away.
    The point is this:  There are all sorts of gun controls that stop short of confiscation, and if you can manage to dial back your firearm induced panic attack we might even discuss them.  

How about mandatory firearm training for one?  How about additional mental health screening for certain types of weapons for another?

Here’s the issue with mandatory training. It will start with basic stuff, and a rreasonable  cost. Then it will get longer, harder, and waaaay more expensive. It will become a requirement, not to just take a class, but to pass it with some government Jack leg making the decision of who passes. While it will start as a good idea, it will turn into a backdoor method of gun control. I know people who have purchased guns that have worried me. Not because I’m concerned they are going to go postal on anyone, but because the buy the weapon, and learn nothing about firing it, loading it, cleaning it, safely handleing it, or anything else. Yeah, having them get some training would be great. But, I know what that training will turn into. 
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    The NRA took a beating in the election. At least 24 House seats flipped from Republicans to gun control Democrats.  Pelosi has already said she is going to introduce gun-regulation proposals.  
    So much needs rebuttal. But we aren’t allowed, so there is only your diatribe.
    She can introduce all she wants. The Senate won’t pass it, and even if they did, Trump will veto it.
    With all the concern about guns and vapes and banning them to save the children, I just read about a bigger problem that either of them today. It is the number one cause of teen deaths in America. 

https://www.acsh.org/news/2013/05/09/texting-and-driving-leading-cause-of-death-among-teens-study-finds

Texting while driving. I think we need laws to ban cell phones or at least not allow anyone under the age of 21 to own a cell phone to stop this killer,.

Mini Mart Magnate

The very conservative Wall Street Journal had an article this morning claiming the NRA is doing some funny, maybe unethical things with your dues. 

Here is a link, but you may need a subscription to read it. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nra-awarded-contracts-to-firms-with-ties-to-top-officials-1543590697
    I know they’re the only pro gun organization that gets anything done. As long as the people they award contracts to get the job done, I don’t give a dang. They’re not a government agency, why shouldn’t they do business with people they know and trust? 
    edited December 2018 #266
    cadman said:
    With all the concern about guns and vapes and banning them to save the children, I just read about a bigger problem that either of them today. It is the number one cause of teen deaths in America. 

https://www.acsh.org/news/2013/05/09/texting-and-driving-leading-cause-of-death-among-teens-study-finds

Texting while driving. I think we need laws to ban cell phones or at least not allow anyone under the age of 21 to own a cell phone to stop this killer,.

There’s not more than one or two people on here in favor of gun control that actually give a crap about kids, Cad. It’s seldom you ever see anything about DUI, texting, drug use, gang violence, or any of the other things kids die from. But if one gets killed by a gun, you get a thread like this one. 
    pottydoc said:
    I know they’re the only pro gun organization that gets anything done. As long as the people they award contracts to get the job done, I don’t give a dang. They’re not a government agency, why shouldn’t they do business with people they know and trust? 
    They have problems

The NRA in 2017 saw a 21% decline in member dues and contributions, to $230 million, according to its financial filings. That is the lowest level since 2012. The NRA has run at a deficit for the past two years, its financial filings show.

edited December 2018 #268
    pottydoc said:
    cadman said:

There’s not more than one or two people on here in favor of gun control that actually give a crap about kids, Cad. It’s seldom you ever see anything about DUI, texting, drug use, gang violence, or any of the other things kids die from. But if one gets killed by a gun, you get a thread like this one. 
    I just thought the article was interesting, Cell phones and texting killing teens. I bet not one parent will think twice about not getting their kid a cell phone. But the same parent wouldn't want their kid anywhere near a gun. 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    pottydoc said:
    cadman said:

I just thought the article was interesting, Cell phones and texting killing teens. I bet not one parent will think twice about not getting their kid a cell phone. But the same parent wouldn't want their kid anywhere near a gun. 
    Cell phone where designed for communication, guns were designed to kill  I'm surprised I have explained that again.
    edited December 2018 #270
    Mister-Jr said:
    cadman said:
    pottydoc said:
    cadman said:

Cell phone where designed for communication, guns were designed to kill  I'm surprised I have explained that again.
    What does i matter if cell phones are killing more teenagers than guns, You hate guns, but don't care that cell phones kill more teenagers. Teen age lives matter!

Think about the children!

Mini Mart Magnate

edited December 2018 #271
    I don't have children, it's hard for me to worry about.  Additionally, everyone I see in my daily commute in on their cell.