Home Off Topic

Gun-Related Injuries Send More Than 8,000 Kids A Year To The ER

CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG

Gun injuries, including many from assaults, sent 75,000 U.S. children and teens to emergency rooms over nine years at a cost of almost $3 billion, a first-of-its-kind study found. Researchers called it the first nationally representative study on ER visits for gun injuries among U.S. kids.

They found that more than one-third of the wounded children were hospitalized and 6 percent died. Injuries declined during most of the 2006-14 study, but there was an upswing in the final year. The researchers found that 11 of every 100,000 children and teens treated in U.S. emergency rooms have gun-related injuries. That amounts to about 8,300 kids each year.

The scope of the problem is broader though; the study doesn't include kids killed or injured by gunshots who never made it to the hospital, nor does it count costs for gunshot patients after they're sent home.

"I don't know what more we need to see in the world to be able to come together and tackle this problem," said Dr. Faiz Gani, the lead author and a researcher at Johns Hopkins University medical school.

more at the link

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,402 Admiral
    And?  Accidents happen.  Still doesn't negate the second amendment.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,129 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #3
    If someone can do away with the 14th with an Executive order, what is to stop the next from repealing the 2nd?
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    kellercl said:
    And?  Accidents happen.  Still doesn't negate the second amendment.
    Does the second negate regulation? Without an activist court of course....
    kellercl said:
    There are 74 million kids in the USA.  8, 000 injuries is 0.011% of the sub population.  How critical is the issue, I mean really? 
    Ok, so we will mark it down as Darwinism...eventually gun nuts will disappear from the gene pool. ;)
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    I'm going to need the geographic data associated with this study before I comment.

Me thinks there are some important numbers regarding the demographics and who exactly shooting who....
    This "problem" may fix itself if left alone.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    More than 3.5 million kids under age 14 receive medical treatment for sports injuries each year. Children ages 5 to 14 account for nearly 40 percent of all sports-related injuries treated in hospitals. On average the rate and severity of injury increases with a child's age.

Statistics - STOP Sports Injuries

https://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/STOP/Resources/Statistics/STOP/.../Statistics.aspx?.

If that is your measure of Darwinism, then Sports nuts will disappear from the gene pool before guns nuts.
    I'm going to need the geographic data associated with this study before I comment.

Me thinks there are some important numbers regarding the demographics and who exactly shooting who....
    This "problem" may fix itself if left alone.
    You are probably not totally wrong.

The article is new in Jama and you have to pay for access.

• YnotjaxYnotjax Posts: 333 Deckhand
    Using that logic 

How many kids (typically considered anybody under 18) get killed in automobile accidents or by drunk drivers lets ban all beer and autos. 
    More than 3.5 million kids under age 14 receive medical treatment for sports injuries each year. Children ages 5 to 14 account for nearly 40 percent of all sports-related injuries treated in hospitals. On average the rate and severity of injury increases with a child's age.

Statistics - STOP Sports Injuries

https://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/STOP/Resources/Statistics/STOP/.../Statistics.aspx?.

If that is your measure of Darwinism, then Sports nuts will disappear from the gene pool before guns nuts.
    In all seriousness I don't want my kids playing sports.  The family doesn't have the genetics and i don't see the point.  I spent my summers playing AAU and I have no idea why.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    Cyclist said:
    kellercl said:
    There are 74 million kids in the USA.  8, 000 injuries is 0.011% of the sub population.  How critical is the issue, I mean really? 
    Ok, so we will mark it down as Darwinism...eventually gun nuts will disappear from the gene pool. ;)
    I suspect most injuries can be correlated to poverty sub demographics.  Which may indicate the problem isn't just guns but also includes an environment variable.

-Walter Payton
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    kellercl said:
    Cyclist said:
    kellercl said:
    I suspect most injuries can be correlated to poverty sub demographics.  Which may indicate the problem isn't just guns but also includes an environment variable.
    Don't forget, the title is "Gun Related Injuries" it doesn't say "Kids accidentally shot"

If we were to delve into the numbers, I imagine a large portion of the "gun related injuries" would be injuries such a kids spraining a wrist from when their parent was teaching them to shoot a large caliber handgun, or a dislocated shoulder from firing a heavy rifle without proper gun settling on the shoulder.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG

Don't forget, the title is "Gun Related Injuries" it doesn't say "Kids accidentally shot"

If we were to delve into the numbers, I imagine a large portion of the "gun related injuries" would be injuries such a kids spraining a wrist from when their parent was teaching them to shoot a large caliber handgun, or a dislocated shoulder from firing a heavy rifle without proper gun settling on the shoulder.
    Hahaha
    Vote for the other candidate
    How many visit hospitals due to poison,otc, or prescription ingestion?

At some point in your life you'll have to recognize that your personal views ARE NOT the way this country will be run. Sorry snowflake
    You dingdongs are hung up on the second and it is making you people nuts.

It is psychotic to live in a regulated society and not include guns. Pathetic.
    It is also easy to suggest regulation on products you don't use.  

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    I own 1 handgun (S&W model 12), 6 shotguns and a BBR 270.

All open to voluntary regulation. Just need 3 shots for hunting.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral

General Cell Phone Statistics

• The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
    • Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
    • 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
    • Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
    • Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
    • Texting while driving causes a 400 percent increase in time spent with eyes off the road.
    • Of all cell phone related tasks, texting is by far the most dangerous activity.
    • 94 percent of drivers support a ban on texting while driving.
    • 74 percent of drivers support a ban on hand-held cell phone use.

BAN CELL PHONES!!!!!!

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Guns don't kill people. Place any gun of you choice loaded and ready to fire on the kitchen table. Let us know how many time you walk past it before the gun shoots you.....

For gun control I suggest a firm grip with both hands.....As I started this post. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Research how many people die in hospitals from car accidents, overdose on illegal drugs, suicide, and prescribed medications. 

Until we start cutting peoples legs off for steeling cars they will still be able to reach the pedals. 

Parents are responsible for raising their children know what is right and wrong and that there are consequences for their actions.

General Cell Phone Statistics

• The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
    • Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
    • 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
    • Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
    • Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
    • Texting while driving causes a 400 percent increase in time spent with eyes off the road.
    • Of all cell phone related tasks, texting is by far the most dangerous activity.
    • 94 percent of drivers support a ban on texting while driving.
    • 74 percent of drivers support a ban on hand-held cell phone use.

BAN CELL PHONES!!!!!!

Ban cell phones while driving. Of course, makes sense.

So would this ban save 8,000 kids from gun shot wounds and 34,000 adult deaths by gun per year and 73,000 injuries?

I don't think so.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    Guns don't kill people. Place any gun of you choice loaded and ready to fire on the kitchen table. Let us know how many time you walk past it before the gun shoots you.....

For gun control I suggest a firm grip with both hands.....As I started this post. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Research how many people die in hospitals from car accidents, overdose on illegal drugs, suicide, and prescribed medications. 

Until we start cutting peoples legs off for steeling cars they will still be able to reach the pedals. 

Parents are responsible for raising their children know what is right and wrong and that there are consequences for their actions.
    Guns just make it easier for people to kill other people.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    Cyclist said:

So would this ban save 8,000 kids from gun shot wounds and 34,000 adult deaths by gun per year and 73,000 injuries?

I don't think so.

nope, can't simply ban texting and driving.  Have to ban smart phones all together.  Just like to save those lives and injuries you just posted would require a complete gun ban.

banning "something" and driving doesn't eliminate deaths or injuries.  example:  "Every day, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver.1 This is one death every 50 minutes. The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $44 billion."

we also  need to ban alcohol.  Smartphones and drinking cause far more deaths and injuries than guns.  Lets get rid of the 500 pound gorillas in the room first.  agree???
    Texting and driving should be illegal.  Only hands free calls should be acceptable.  

-Walter Payton
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,549 AG
    Cyclist said:
    How many visit hospitals due to poison,otc, or prescription ingestion?

At some point in your life you'll have to recognize that your personal views ARE NOT the way this country will be run. Sorry snowflake
    You dingdongs are hung up on the second and it is making you people nuts.

It really is making some people melt down, anyway. But I’m not sure you realize who that is.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    Lack of education and training, idiots buy guns then shoot themselves, heck look at cars, idiots even take drivers ed and still get in stupid accidents and kill themselves.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    edited October 2018 #27

Cyclist said:

I don't think so.

nope, can't simply ban texting and driving.  Have to ban smart phones all together.  Just like to save those lives and injuries you just posted would require a complete gun ban.

banning "something" and driving doesn't eliminate deaths or injuries.  example:  "Every day, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver.1 This is one death every 50 minutes. The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $44 billion."

we also  need to ban alcohol.  Smartphones and drinking cause far more deaths and injuries than guns.  Lets get rid of the 500 pound gorillas in the room first.  agree???
    Make it illegal then when caught their is teeth.

You people can do this selective enforcement thing and then expect to be credible.

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    Cyclist said:

Guns aren't regulated?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,419 Officer
    Cyclist said:
    kellercl said:

I dont hunt. I shoot for sport! I have a shooting range on my property and do alot of steel shooting. Im expected to get  3 shots and reload? Your logic is seriously flawed!
    Jason :USA
    edited October 2018 #30
    1outlaw said:
    Cyclist said:
    kellercl said:

I dont hunt. I shoot for sport! I have a shooting range on my property and do alot of steel shooting. Im expected to get  3 shots and reload? Your logic is seriously flawed!
    Pobrecito, can't have the snowflake reload more often ... ;)
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,033 Admiral
    Mister-Jr said:

Guns just make it easier for people to kill other people.
    So do knives,  medication, eye drops, cars, selfies, bats, dogs....... 

None of the above are a constitutional right. Sorry
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends