Home Off Topic

Florida State football.

Replies

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,442 Captain
    Reel Teal said:
    Jameis winston committed to Jimbo Fisher 2 years after Bobby Bowden left, so he is irrelevant in the equation. Should have gotten rid of bowden sooner and spent more money to keep jimbo and keep up with the SEC. Think about it. Jimbo is out coaching taggart bigly
    Not true.
    Fisher was Bowdens' assistent.  Winston was Fishers' choice.
    FSU chose Fisher and Winston.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Scoutboat said:
    Reel Teal said:
    Jameis winston committed to Jimbo Fisher 2 years after Bobby Bowden left, so he is irrelevant in the equation. Should have gotten rid of bowden sooner and spent more money to keep jimbo and keep up with the SEC. Think about it. Jimbo is out coaching taggart bigly
    Not true.
    Fisher was Bowdens' assistent.  Winston was Fishers' choice.
    FSU chose Fisher and Winston.
    Very true. Go look it up. 
    edited October 2018 #35
    Jimbo Fisher as head coach in waiting in 2007. 5 years before winston is at FSU, 4 years before he committed to jimbo Fisher and FSU as a high school senior. Seems FSU chose Fisher when they hired him. He resurrected a stumbling program at the time 

https://newsok.com/article/5336961/jimbo-fisher-coach-in-waiting-worked-out-but-it-wasnt-smooth
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,592 AG

now I get it Gater=Goater.    Ehh, not my favorite play on words.   I'm not a fan of the gators, never have been.   I like Notre Dame.    Florida State is a decent enough feeder school for the NFL but IMO no better than other FL program or SEC/ACC program.    
    Well lets not get carried away FSU's football program is far better than most ACC and SEC Football programs. The results ,on the field over the years, prove that field.
    Talk about fake news (lies). That is the biggest one ever.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Seecadman said:

now I get it Gater=Goater.    Ehh, not my favorite play on words.   I'm not a fan of the gators, never have been.   I like Notre Dame.    Florida State is a decent enough feeder school for the NFL but IMO no better than other FL program or SEC/ACC program.    
    Well lets not get carried away FSU's football program is far better than most ACC and SEC Football programs. The results ,on the field over the years, prove that field.
    The only Football program that is better is
    Bama. LSU, UGA, Auburn and UF are all below FSU. 
    The only program in the ACC that is close is Clrmsom.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/bama-most-dominant-college-football-teams-2017-11

What kind of list is that? 

North Dakota State is #15
    NW Missouri State #23
    Wisconsin-Whitewater #27
    Northern Illinois #29

Weird metrics. That article is a joke LOL
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #38
    Reel Teal said:
    Seecadman said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/bama-most-dominant-college-football-teams-2017-11

What kind of list is that? 

North Dakota State is #15
    NW Missouri State #23
    Wisconsin-Whitewater #27
    Northern Illinois #29

Weird metrics. That article is a joke LOL
    Conch Fritter loves to be wrong.  :D
    You should have been here yesterday
    edited October 2018 #39
    cadman said:

I know it’s hard for you Goaters to admit that the girls
    school has a better Football program but facts 
    are facts. 
    I would not put the Gators in the top 10 programs for good reason. I do like how you claim the program is the best in the ACC and SEC, but limit it to the past 15 years adn use a non sports magazine as a source. Why not look at the greatest of all times for college football programs

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/01/ap-college-football-rankings-greatest-programs-of-all-time

You will notice FSwho is below 
    Alabama
    Notre Dame
    Tennesee
    LSU 
    Auburn
    Georgia

I have this one where FSwho falls below Alabama, Notre Dame,. and Miami

https://www.thetoptens.com/greatest-college-football-programs/

You see, I know Florida is not in the top ten of dynasties. I do know Bowden brought a lot of success to FSwho and gave them national prominence. But Alabama and Notre Dame both have been dynasties a lot longer, Miami was a dynasty in the old days but has slipped,  and many other schools are ahead of FSwho depending on the criteria used, FSwho, thanks to Bowden is in the top five or top ten of all time depending on the criteria.

It will be fun to watch that dynasty crumble now the Bowden is gone. 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:

I know Florida is not in the top ten of dynasties. FSU is in the top five or top ten of all time.

Not Fake News.
    I will give FSU credit when they deserve it. FSU was lucky to have Bowden as a head coach for so long. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,828 AG
    I'll leave this here

Meetings total62
    All-time seriesFlorida leads, 34–26–2 (.565)
    Largest victoryFlorida, 49–0 (1973)
    Longest win streakFlorida, 9 (1968–76)
    Current win streakFlorida State, 5 (2013–present

And there's this:

Meetings total63
    All-time seriesMiami leads, 33–30
    Largest victoryMiami, 47–0 (1976)
    Florida State, 47–0 (1997)
    Longest win streakFlorida State, 7 (1963–72, 2010–2016)
    Current win streakMiami, 2 (2017–present)
    edited October 2018 #43
    rock_fish said:
    I'll leave this here

Current win streakFlorida State, 5 (2013–present

👍👍
    Just a few more in a row and you’ll have a decent streak. When you get to 9 let us know  :D
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,858 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #44
    That Gata obsession Conchy has is fo' reals and is turning up a notch!!! :D  Be careful out there Gator fans.  Serial killers start out this way and I think Conchy has already written love letters to Jodie Foster......
    cadman said:

I know Florida is not in the top ten of dynasties. FSU is in the top five or top ten of all time.

Not Fake News.
    What is the basis of that statement?   Bobby Bowdens' dynasty?
    Mr. Bowden built FSU football.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,188 Captain
    I honestly do not care what the overall wins are between the teams.  
    Both Fsu and UM have had runs that are at the very least dynasty-like.  UF has not.  

The subject was Bobby Bowden and his contribution to FSU football.
    Both Fsu and UM have had runs that are at the very least dynasty-like.  UF has not.  

3 national titles and a pile of sec championships in 12 years?

That's a good run for sure.  No doubt.  Any team should be proud of that. (And a few heismans too) 

But, I think the national relevance of fsu/um might be a bit longer.    In not trying to say my team (fsu) is way better.  BUT, it just seems like I hear from some of my gator-friends and read some here: that UF is the 2nd coming of Christ for football.  Kinda gets old to me is all. 

Its good to see UF on the upswing lately. And UM is getting better too.   I'm not sure what to think of fsu yet, I'll have a better idea after another year.  I'm truly hoping fsu can be competitive against UF coming up.  Fsu has a pretty darn brutal schedule, and that can help or hurt them... We will know next month. 
    So your friends constant bragging is the reason UF is not a dynasty?

Alright
    rock_fish said:

Alright
    Nah, UFs ~12 yrs of national relevance does not make them a dynasty.  

What would then?

You being a fan? Not being a rival fan?
    rock_fish said:
    What would then?

You being a fan? Not being a rival fan?
    I'm honestly not sure what the requirements are for dynasties.  But, as I mentioned above; both fsu/um have a more dynasty-like history than UF.    
    Just my opinion.  If you wish I can say UF has met the minimum requirements. I honestly don't care.  
  • wynnvwynnv Posts: 383 Deckhand
    edited November 2018 #54
    I think the discussion of dynasties in college athletics can be very subjective.  I believe all three programs have had dynasty like periods. Dynasty definition: a powerful group or family that maintains its position for a considerable time.  I think UF with Spurrier and Meyer could of been dynasty like periods. Obviously under Bowden FSU had a dynasty like period. UM gets the most credit for a having dynasty like  periods with multiple head coaches. We should all be thankful for those periods because none of the 3 programs have been dynasty like for quite some time. I  think you should also consider the focus on the athletic programs as a whole. There are programs that put the main focus and funding on football, some on basketball or other sports. Therefore being dynasty like in one sport could be easier to accomplish.  if you want to debate college athletic programs as a whole, very few (if any) can compare to what the UF athletic program has accomplished.

That's a good run for sure.  No doubt.  Any team should be proud of that. (And a few heismans too) 

But, I think the national relevance of fsu/um might be a bit longer.    In not trying to say my team (fsu) is way better.  BUT, it just seems like I hear from some of my gator-friends and read some here: that UF is the 2nd coming of Christ for football.  Kinda gets old to me is all. 

Its good to see UF on the upswing lately. And UM is getting better too.   I'm not sure what to think of fsu yet, I'll have a better idea after another year.  I'm truly hoping fsu can be competitive against UF coming up.  Fsu has a pretty darn brutal schedule, and that can help or hurt them... We will know next month. 
    Never considered UF being a dynasty. We have been **** good a and prominent program in college football. No one can deny that.

FSU was a dynasty during the 90s with Bowden's win loss record. But to claim now they are better than any team in the ACC or SEC other than Alabama is just idiotic. Bowden and that prestige is not there any longer. I don't believe Taggart is the guy to bring it back. He will give FSU a few winning seasons, but he is not going to bring you back to number one year after year.

Right now the football program at FSU is no better than UF or Miami, or Auburn, or Georgia, or Clemson, and many others. Heck, Texas A&M with Jimbo, looking at recruiting, is shaping up to be a major football program in the near future. 

There were also other  football Dynasties, like Notre Dame, Miami, Nabraska, USC, Oklahoma, and of course Alabama. Alabama may be the greatest dynasty in college football. 

Mini Mart Magnate

rock_fish said:

Alright
    Nah, UFs ~12 yrs of national relevance does not make them a dynasty.  

12 years of dominance not relevance 
    8 sec titles and 3 national championships from 91-08... can your school top that?
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,060 Captain
    edited November 2018 #58
    Cyclist said:
    You mean there are still fsu fans after this season?
    Yup, quite a few of us. I’ve been a fan since before Bowden was there. It’s not about to change because we are having a few down years. It also doesn’t mean that all of us are jacklegs like TTF. 
    8 sec titles and 3 national championships from 91-08... can your school top that?
    That is a HELL of a lot longer than 12 years. 
    Ok, 4 sec titles and 3 national titles in 12 years. How’s that?
    And the losing seasons made the Goaters not dominate and irrelevant.
    That is more of a dynasty than FSU can claim
    edited November 2018 #61
    And the losing seasons made the Goaters not dominate and irrelevant.
    That is more of a dynasty than FSU can claim
    Your fn nuts!! Dynasties don’t have losing seasons. FSU  hasnt had a losing season in 41 years.  The Goaters have had mulitiple. 
    Not in the span we were discussing. That span was a dynasty, certainly by FSU standards. But as usual you hijack the topic. I’d be careful, your coach has a lifetime loosening record and a loosing record as FSU head coach .