Home Off Topic

Jameis Winston gets the bench

mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,408 Admiral

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are going back to “Fitz-Magic,” at least for the rest of Week 8.

After Jameis Winston threw a pick-six in the third quarter, his fourth interception of the game, the Bucs are pulling him for Ryan Fitzpatrick:

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/28/jameis-winston-benched-ryan-fitzpatrick-bucs-bengals-nfl-week-8/

Buccaneers bench Jameis Winston in the 3rd quarter Sunday. Ryan Fitzpatrick takes over and immediately puts points on the board.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,352 Admiral
    Is Fitzmagic back again???  Somethings never die.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,408 Admiral
    the Bucs were down by 21 when Ryan Fitzpatrick got the call. They came back to tie the Bengals but lost by a field goal.

I'm not sure if Winston looked more like a loser in the first half playing, or the second half on the bench watching a 35 year old show him up. He has seriously devalued himself in his contract year. 
    Looks to be another Heisman winner that didn't quite pan out.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,856 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #4
    Always gave Winston the benefit of the doubt but now I’m starting to change my mind. He is playing no better than Fitz and actually is playing worse. 
    Winston was a terrible pick.  He doesn't have the leadership skills nor the dedication to the game.  Sometimes the best athletic on the field, isn't the best player.  I'd argue more often than not, that is in fact the case.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    Winston was a terrible pick.  He doesn't have the leadership skills nor the dedication to the game.  Sometimes the best athletic on the field, isn't the best player.  I'd argue more often than not, that is in fact the case.
    Ouch! THE TRUTH HURTS! but I wouldn't call it a "terrible pick". If they would have traded him, they could have made it a great pick.....the kicker that couldn't kick (Roberto Aguayo) was a terrible pick(1st round)

I'm holding the G.M accountable. I think Jason Licht lacks leadership skills and has poor judgement.

• 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,856 Admiral
    Just waiting for Tree to come on here and make excuses for him.......
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,187 Captain
    I've been making excuse for JW. But, too many dumb mistakes.... He could still change, but perhaps a year or 2 as backup will turn him around. 

Bucs need a QB now.. JW can sit the bench as a cheap backup, or sign with another team. Ezpz
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    Winston is a thug with some athletic skills. As far as I can tell he has no conscience or integrity and only cares about himself. 

It's really not really beyond reason why he was drafted.  Conscience and integrity take second place to money the owners hoped he would generate for them.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,579 AG
    The NFL is not in the business of creating role models. Why should they care about integrity or conscience. The objective is to play football and win games. That is what the game is about. It is why the fans attend game sand spend money on their teams. 

Charles Barkley said it best

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    edited October 2018 #11

I never said anything about role models.  Stop putting words in my mouth.  Barkley had integrity, he cared about, showing up and working hard, doing his job and winning.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Winston kept throwing it to the wrong guys.
    The defense is atrocious.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,012 Moderator
    Winstons first pass in the NFL was a pick six and his career has gone downhill since then.  I was not in favor of the Bucs drafting him and still hold it against them.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    2amigo said:
    Just waiting for Tree to come on here and make excuses for him.......
    He will avoid this thread like the plague. It is what he does.
    Just mention the Gators, he will be posting in no time flat. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    I like the Buccs and I know Fitzmagic is no Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Dont get me wrong, but the dude can play. I mean the Buccs started off 2-0 with him at the wheel. They were getting plenty of ypg and there stats looked great. I think the Buccs are better off leaving Fitz in for the rest of the season. Had Winston not thrown that pick 6, The buccs would have had that game in the bag. Especially with how their second half defense played. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • Did you miss the last possession by cincy?
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,241 AG
    Winston may not be getting it done, but you guys have been on the Fitz train once already.   This is his life cycle, come in, have a good game or two, then throw 3-4 picks in a game trying to force things.    

It was nice to see that deep ball to Evans though.    
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,441 Captain
    Winston has lost his confidence.  He's walking on thin ice,  he knows it and it shows in his performance.
    They can't trade him, too much money involved.
    Scoutboat said:
    Winston has lost his confidence.  He's walking on thin ice,  he knows it and it shows in his performance.
    They can't trade him, too much money involved.
    Who would want to trade for him at this point?   The Jags?   Dolphins?   Most teams now have a young QB behind their veteran, or a young QB learning on the job right now.   
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    No  one want no one wants that in their locker room. I’d like to see them get rid of him. I’d like to pull for the bucs again 
    You should have been here yesterday
    If I were the Bucs I'd have Oakland on the phone and see if Winston and a 2nd would get Derek Carr heading on a plane east.    That locker room turned on a pretty good young QB, both could use a fresh start. 
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,540 Admiral
    Winston may not be getting it done, but you guys have been on the Fitz train once already.   This is his life cycle, come in, have a good game or two, then throw 3-4 picks in a game trying to force things.    

Deberg and Fitz are amazingly similar in stats. I think Fitz has a bit better int/TD ratio 
    Deberg never won a super bowl. But hell, If Brad Johnson and Dilfer can win a SB, I see no reason why Fitz can’t. 
    Only question is the D. 
    Bucs right now don’t have much of one. 

Btw last I knew jameis was committed. And has been keeping his personal crap together. I agree his confidence is shot, and he’s trying to make stuff happen like in college. But at this level the players are too good. 
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
    Ol Mucky said:

Btw last I knew jameis was committed. And has been keeping his personal crap together. I agree his confidence is shot, and he’s trying to make stuff happen like in college. But at this level the players are too good. 
    This. I hope the Bucs don’t trade him for no other reason than it will **** off all the Goater/Bucs fans. If they do there will be a lot of teams willing to trade for him because when he’s on he is an elite franchise QB and they don’t grow on trees. 
    So I guess he just not "on" enough?
    Cause when he's not on, he's really off.
  • Fitspatrick has been named starter against the panthers.
    The line is Panthers -6.5
    Gonna jump on that before it changes.
    That said yes he was off yesterday. 
    And the week before and the week before.
    He had 5 straight game with 350+ yards which tied the best EVER by a QB in the NFL.
    And he had 10 interceptions in 4 games! Look that up in the record books and see how it fairs! No Quarterback is going to survive playing that horribly. I have been watching him make bad decisions for over three years. Bye Felicia. 
    edited October 2018 #28
    Fitz is on his 7th team...  he isn't a franchise quarterback.  I remember with the jets he tossed 31 TD and 15 int, everybody got excited.  The following year he went 12 TD and 17 int...  that is Fitz, he is a roller coaster.

-Walter Payton
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,113 Admiral
     That said yes he was off yesterday. 
    Looks like he will be off next week as well
    Ol Mucky said:

Deberg and Fitz are amazingly similar in stats. I think Fitz has a bit better int/TD ratio 
    Deberg never won a super bowl. But hell, If Brad Johnson and Dilfer can win a SB, I see no reason why Fitz can’t. 
    Only question is the D. 
    Bucs right now don’t have much of one. 

Winston needs to do what all players do when they  hit this kind of slump, get back to fundamentals, and work hard on them.  His mechanics, his eye discipline, where is he looking pre snap, what is he looking at post snap, hot routes, coverages. 

He just needs to work through it really.   The tools are there IMO.   and I agree he really hasn't goofed off at all lately.  fix the mechanics and fundamentals, and everything else will take care of itself. 
    Winston is not an elite franchise QB. He is good, very good. Btu he is too inconsistent to be an elite QB.  He will be a starter here and there, but you can't count on him 100% of the time to deliver. 

He may get better, but right now he is not an elite QB. 

Mini Mart Magnate