Home Off Topic

Mass shooting in Pittsburgh

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,602 AG
    kellercl said:
    The issue I have with a ban...  there is what 300 million guns in this country, not too mention a massive geographic square footage.  The idea just isn't feasible.
    That's your only issue with it?

Captain Todd Approves

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,402 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    kellercl said:
    The issue I have with a ban...  there is what 300 million guns in this country, not too mention a massive geographic square footage.  The idea just isn't feasible.
    In a sense.  There are multiple levels of investigation, but it fails at the top feasibility level, so further digging in understanding isn't worth the effort.  I mean in short, why investigate an impossibility?

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,685 AG
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    kellercl said:
    In a sense.  There are multiple levels of investigation, but it fails at the top feasibility level, so further digging in understanding isn't worth the effort.  I mean in short, why investigate an impossibility?
    Why not pick the obvious one, It would violate the 2nd amendment of the constitution!

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    I find it disconcerting when people have little aptitude for preventing the mass murder of innocent men, women, and children.  

Please don't confuse this with Gitmo detainees, it is not related.
    Vote for the other candidate
    Try and make an effort to stay on topic.
    edited October 2018 #97
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    kellercl said:
    Why not pick the obvious one, It would violate the 2nd amendment of the constitution!
    Amendments are open to interpretation.  Not that it matters, logistically a ban can't be done.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    edited October 2018 #98
    Mister-Jr said:
    I find it disconcerting when people have little aptitude for preventing the mass murder of innocent men, women, and children.  
    Tell us how that is done genius.

Captain Todd Approves

edited October 2018 #99
    A gun ban, imho, is like the wall.  Implementation logistically is a nightmare.  Neither is happening.

-Walter Payton
    edited October 2018 #100
    kellercl said:
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    kellercl said:
    Amendments are open to interpretation.  Not that it matters, logistically a ban can't be done.
    Not yours, only the Supreme Court may do that and the court has ruled gun bans are unconstitutional. Right now, with the current court make up, I would bet any Assault weapons bans would also be declared unconstitutional. It will be interesting to see if this new court starts taking up state bans on such weapons now. 

The gun ban fanatics have no chance now for the courts to agree with them. 

Mini Mart Magnate

edited October 2018 #101
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    kellercl said:
    Not yours, only the Supreme Court may do that and the court has ruled gun bans are unconstitutional. Right now, with the current court make up, I would bet any Assault weapons bans would also be declared unconstitutional. It will be interesting to see if this new court starts taking up state bans on such weapons now. 

Jesus dude, I'm aware the decision resides with the SC.  I'm also aware it isn't likely to change anytime soon.  But that doesn't change the fact that the constitutional amendments are open to interpretation, thus can change.  More importantly, big picture wise you and I are in agreement.  So I'm not even sure what you are arguing.  

Since you seem confused, let me spell it out simply.  I'm not a ban proponent.  They only issue I took is the comparison to cars, because it is a stupid comparison on so many levels.

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    A gun ban, imho, is like the wall.  Implementation logistically is a nightmare.  Neither is happening.
    Logistically the wall can be built, finances are the only issue with building a wall. the constitution and the courts stand in the way of a gun ban. 

Talk about a bad comparison. 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    Logistically the wall can be built, finances are the only issue with building a wall. the constitution and the courts stand in the way of a gun ban. 

Talk about a bad comparison. 
    There was no direct comparison.  I simply said both are stupid ideas.  Building and maintaining a 2,000 mile wall...  is not realistic any in measure of the sense.  Theoretically possible, sure.  But realistically, nope.

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    kellercl said:

Jesus dude, I'm aware the decision resides with the SC.  I'm also aware it isn't likely to change anytime soon.  But that doesn't change the fact that the constitutional amendments are open to interpretation, thus can change.  More importantly, big picture wise you and I are in agreement.  So I'm not even sure what you are arguing.  

Since you seem confused, let me spell it out simply.  I'm not a ban proponent.  They only issue I took is the comparison to cars, because it is a stupid comparison on so many levels.
    No more stupid than wanting to ban guns or compare gun bans to building walls. If wee want to compare stupidity, you are way in front. 

Cars are an excellent comparison. Those who own cars and use them will not give them up. The same is true for those who own guns. Americans love cars and american love guns. These two things will never change and there is no reason for sane law abiding people to give them up. Crazies, drunks, and mentally unstable people should own neither one. 

Mini Mart Magnate

edited October 2018 #105
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    mplspug said:
    kellercl said:

No more stupid than wanting to ban guns or compare gun bans to building walls. If wee want to compare stupidity, you are way in front. 

Cars are an excellent comparison. Those who own cars and use them will not give them up. The same is true for those who own guns. Americans love cars and american love guns. These two things will never change and there is no reason for sane law abiding people to give them up. Crazies, drunks, and mentally unstable people should own neither one. 
    ....  I don't want to ban guns, can you read magoo? 

And the comparison between cars and guns is silly.  The functionality and necessity between the two are night and day.  Not that it matters, I'm not in favor of a gun ban.

And in closing, just so you are clear, I'm not in favor of a ban.  Did I mention I'm not a gun ban guy?

-Walter Payton
    This is a great thread.  2 people who agree can't agree to agree. :trollface:

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:

Lol, tell me about it.

-Walter Payton
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    edited October 2018 #108
    cadman said:

Except that cars are NOT needed to protect your freedom and dont represent the only way to transport yourself. Not to mention they arent specifically protected by the BoR.... but if you want to treat cars the same as guns, then I could go along with that.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    mplspug said:

Image result for dumb and dumber poster
    edited October 2018 #110
    If you believe Kerrci is not in favor of banning guns, I got a great price on a bridge in New York I will sell you. 

Even if he wasn't, there are many members who are in favor. I think it is worth the effort to educate them on the impossibility of such an idea. But maybe I am wrong to advocate the right to own guns. 

Mini Mart Magnate

There is no reason to be in favor of a ban for many reasons:

1) it is a protected right, that will not be overturned in my lifetime, if ever.

2) punishing law abiding citizens is just wrong.  

3) there are far too many guns in this country, getting them all is laughably absurd.

4) a ban will create a black market, which will increase crime.  

5) people love guns, there would be riots in the street if a ban was pushed, and the rioters would be gun owners....

Putting faith in a gun ban is like searching for unicorns.  I would rather be realistic with my time/effort.  

-Walter Payton
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,419 Officer
    cadman said:
    If you believe Kerrci is not in favor of banning guns, I got a great price on a bridge in New York I will sell you. 

Even if he wasn't, there are many members who are in favor. I think it is worth the effort to educate them on the impossibility of such an idea. But maybe I am wrong to advocate the right to own guns. 
    I never understood why they continue the argument! Its never going to happen! I personally have 10s of thousands of dollars wrapped up into guns and ammo. Im not alone by a long shot. How would you ever logistically get people to turn them in? LOL 
    Jason :USA
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,293 AG
    It is sad these people lost their lives to some idiot.    To live to 97 years old and then be gunned down by a coward with impulse control issues is tragic.     
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    cadman said:

I don't want a total ban, I want to make it harder to legally own one. This wholesale killing of innocent people has to stop.

I want stricter gun laws and I want harsher penalties for those that break those rules and regulations.  If you are a law-abiding citizen, you shouldn't have a problem with that.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,075 Moderator
    kellercl said:

1) it is a protected right, that will not be overturned in my lifetime, if ever.

3) there are far too many guns in this country, getting them all is laughably absurd.

5) people love guns, there would be riots in the street if a ban was pushed, and the rioters would be gun owners....

Putting faith in a gun ban is like searching for unicorns.  I would rather be realistic with my time/effort.  
    It doesn't matter what you say. They will twist it to their perceived advantage somehow.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    I don't want a total ban, I want to make it harder to legally own one. This wholesale killing of innocent people has to stop.

I want stricter gun laws and I want harsher penalties for those that break those rules and regulations.  If you are a law-abiding citizen, you shouldn't have a problem with that.
    Is this harsh enough?
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/prosecutors-seek-death-penalty-for-synagogue-massacre-suspect-robert-bowers
    MGTeacher said:
    Mister-Jr said:

Is this harsh enough?
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/prosecutors-seek-death-penalty-for-synagogue-massacre-suspect-robert-bowers
    Somehow you just never seem to get the point. I would think it's a better idea to try and prevent the death of 11 innocent Americans so you can fulfill your gun fetish.  
    kellercl said:

It doesn't matter what you say. They will twist it to their perceived advantage somehow.
    More than likely that will be the case.

-Walter Payton
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,075 Moderator
    edited October 2018 #119
    After the fact don't you think? These type of people do not put any value on life, not even their own. To  be killed in the act of murdering others or put to death for the action simply makes them a martyr in their minds and the minds of those who approve of their actions.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    kellercl said:

Law abiding gun owners fight at the ballot box, not the streets.

kellercl said:

Law abiding gun owners fight at the ballot box, not the streets.

Perhaps, but I still have no interest in telling 100 million gun owners I'm taking their personal possessions.  Nothing about that seems wise to me.  

-Walter Payton