Home Off Topic

Be careful what you say in Europe. At the rate we are going we will be in the same boat.

2»

Replies

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    edited October 2018 #33
     Stand in the American cemetery in Luxembourg, a site and feeling that will give you chills. 

You are exactly right. Went to the US Cemetary in Luxemburg last November on the day before Veterans day(that was pure coincidence) and it was an amazing experience. I visited the grave-site of a  friend's grandfather who was buried right in front of Patton's grave. Everyone should do it.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    cadman said:
    I don't want to argue this one way or the other, but I bet most of our ancestors were pedophiles under the current definition, My grandmother was 15 when she married and had children. Many women were below the modern age of consent and married older men back in the "good old days". 

While we frown upon such behavior today, to subject any historical figure to our modern definitions is wrong, i would say her only reason was to insult their religion, which she should be able to do and would be able o do here in America, but not in other countries. 

If you wish to live in a certain country, you must follow their laws, 

It is funny, that everyone wants immigrants that come here to follow our laws, but expect that the laws of other countries can be disregarded because we disagree with them, 

How old was your grandfather?
     In those days the word teenager did not exist! As soon as you were old enough to work and help support your family, off you went!
     Today a 26 year old is considered a child. 
     Stand in the American cemetery in Luxembourg, a site and feeling that will give you chills. 

You are exactly right. Went to the US Cemetary in Luxemburg last November on the day before Veterans day(that was pure coincidence) and it was an amazing experience. I visited the grave-site of a  friend's grandfather who was buried right in front of Patton's grave. Everyone should do it.
    My bucket list is to see Normandy and the cemetery there. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,734 AG
    edited October 2018 #36
    cadman said:
    I don't want to argue this one way or the other, but I bet most of our ancestors were pedophiles under the current definition, My grandmother was 15 when she married and had children. Many women were below the modern age of consent and married older men back in the "good old days". 

While we frown upon such behavior today, to subject any historical figure to our modern definitions is wrong, i would say her only reason was to insult their religion, which she should be able to do and would be able o do here in America, but not in other countries. 

If you wish to live in a certain country, you must follow their laws, 

It is funny, that everyone wants immigrants that come here to follow our laws, but expect that the laws of other countries can be disregarded because we disagree with them, 

How old was your grandfather?
     In those days the word teenager did not exist! As soon as you were old enough to work and help support your family, off you went!
     Today a 26 year old is considered a child. 
    he was 26 or 28 when they married. i think he was on his own from the time he was 14 or so. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,820 Admiral
    Europe has been fighting wars over religion a lot longer than we have.

Those laws are nothing more than "If you can't have a civil discussion about religion then you can't have any discussion about religion."

They haven't figured out how to be civil yet.

You can say things but you have to be diplomatic in the wording.

Or as The Mama's & The Papa's sang it "You can say it but you got to lay it between the lines."

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral

Been to Europe several times and love the beauty and history, just not the politics (though not all are liberal leaning), but I agree, I need to pay my respects one day in Normandy. My parents have been there several times , including this past summer, and they always say how much the French population in that area still loves America and Americans.

Mine too... my dad landed there D+6. I would like to follow his path to Berlin someday.

Mine too... my dad landed there D+6. I would like to follow his path to Berlin someday.
    That would be a great trip. 
    At least this time the M1 Garand can stay at home!
    That would be a great trip. 
    At least this time the M1 Garand can stay at home!
    My dad was the "Sarg" of this group. One of his guys wrote a book on return. It covers every day from draft to the ship ride home. Because my dad was regular enlisted, he stayed in Germany... I have a roadmap to follow. Its an easy read.