High Speed Trolling Palm Beach

Went out of Palm Beach around 4:00pm to 2-3 foot chop in search of some wahoo. Water quality was alright. Trolled 14mph with bent butts and thirty minutes in the smaller yo-zuri gets smoked. Fought the fish for over an hour and finally leader a huge hammerhead to the boat. Thing must have been 10 plus feet. I'm curious if this has ever happened to anyone else. Very frustrating. Haven't caught any wahoo since the full moon in August. Although we did hook a triple and caught 2 fish that trip, so I guess I cant complain.

Replies

• FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 416 Deckhand
    Wonder if you had a wahoo and the shark ate it
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 554 Officer
    I had a cobia the other day that I fought for a while and then a shark decided it was his lunch.  I hooked him and fought for a while until the line snapped.  It definitely is frustrating.  
  • unhookedunhooked Posts: 207 Deckhand
    Yes..same thing happened to me last year.  I had a wahoo on and it got eaten by a shark. Took over an hour.  It killed the rest of the target tide.  It bent the fwd hook open. 

• JosephHEMIJosephHEMI delray beachPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    were you using any added weights with the yo-zuri or were you running just straight yozuri at 14mph in search of some good hoo's?
  • JesseburzJesseburz Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the responses guys. Just using my standard setup of cigar lead, 25 foot shock leader then cable to the yozuri. Also had a cowbell in the mix as well. I have had my best luck in Jupiter, but its like I95 out on the ledge during a full moon. The way the shark was hooked just seemed like he ate that bait. Right in the corner of the mouth.