Home Off Topic

It's Megan Kelly's turn to be attacked by the PC gestapo.

GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral

What am I missing here? She asked "But what is racist" and then gave here experience as a kid at Halloween.

She apologized(I assume for offending those looking to be offended) and Al Roker says she "owes a bigger apology". LMAO What a putz.

Then the chairman of NBC News comes after her. SMFH

[Quote]Kelly made the controversial remarks Tuesday during a panel discussion with Melissa Rivers, Jacob Soboroff and Jenna Bush Hager when she suggested that some Halloween costumes deemed offensive or racist are simply people trying to celebrate the holiday in character.

“But what is racist?” She asked. “Because you get in trouble if you’re a white person who puts on blackface on Halloween, or a black person who puts on white face for Halloween… back when I was a kid that was OK, as long as you were dressing like a character”

Kelly’s comments were reported on both “NBC Nightly News” and “Today,” leading to much speculation that NBC News executives hoped to put a spotlight on the controversial rhetoric as a way to separate with the veteran journalist. NBC colleagues quickly became her biggest critics when Craig Melvin called her comments “racist and ignorant” and Al Roker said she “owes a bigger apology to folks of color around the country.”

“There is no other way to put this, but I condemn those remarks… There is no place on our air or in this workplace for them,” Lack told his staff, according to The New York Times. [/QUOTE]

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

Replies

• Gary SGary S Posts: 2,250 Captain
    Poor thing, she stands to take home 69 million for being fired for what she did as a kid. For that kind of money you can call me racist all day long. And what we did as kids is a lot worst than dressing in black face.
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    Gary S said:
    Poor thing, she stands to take home 69 million for being fired for what she did as a kid. For that kind of money you can call me racist all day long. And what we did as kids is a lot worst than dressing in black face.

I do not think the amount of money she makes on her 3 year contract has any bearing on the subject at hand.

They may come for you job(or business or retirement account) next.

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,408 Admiral
    I saw a portion of the show where she made the remarks. Since then I have learned that she has made some inflammatory remarks in the past or perhaps what some would call "using poor judgement".

I don't know much about her and I am not a supporter of Megan Kelly and I guess you could say I don't really care for her, based on the few times I have seen her do what she does.

I don't think her remarks were racist, but I may not have heard them contextually. Based on what I heard there were no racist remarks made. After hearing the brief video, I was surprised that her remarks were interpreted as racist and a little disgusted by the reactions.

Yesterday I heard she was getting an attorney and perhaps planning to sue the network. If she losses her job or is financially damaged because of something the network does, I think she should collect a settlement.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,352 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #6
    GA Fin said:
    Gary S said:

I do not think the amount of money she makes on her 3 year contract has any bearing on the subject at hand.

They may come for you job(or business or retirement account) next.

Doubtful, because I don't make dumb*** statements at work.

Edit
    Having said that, I do think people need to relax.  I remember reading just last year how dressing your kids up as Moana was racist...  I mean really?  Great character in a great movie, my kids wanting to be like her is racist?  Apparently the proper thing to do is tell my kids they shouldn't want to be minority Disney characters, just the white ones....  because that isn't racist, or something?  Honestly I don't get it, maybe somebody else does. So yeah, folks have gone overboard with sensitivity.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,540 Admiral
    These are scary times.  Glad I grew up as a kid when I did.
    edited October 2018 #8
    I don't consider the confederacy American, given they succeeded from the union.  Non American monuments don't belong in this country, so I'm ok with getting rid of them.  People need to get over the confederate States, the war is over, you lost.  And no the south won't rise again.  I don't get the love affair.  

Edit
    Especially when most of the monuments were a by product of the daughters of the confederacy and will constructed decades after the war with a specific agenda in mind.  I've read, not sure if it is true, that Lee has more monuments than Washington... Which is ****ed up, if true that is.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Tarpon MonoxideTarpon Monoxide Posts: 565 Officer
    I am not suggesting we keep confederate monuments and nothing in my post suggested that.

My point was that the left wants to get rid of such things but at the same time  hypocritically dances and sings in Hamilton using black actors made up in costume as white slave owners and those concepts are not consistent with each other which makes it a double standard.

If a person is offended by what kelly said then they should be consistent and be offended that blacks are dressing as white slave owners and dancing and singing.

Only in America, where now the Communist Media labels their reporting videos as peaceful protesting while buildings are burning in the background, criminal thugs are running out of stores with looted goods, vehicles being burned out, innocent persons getting shot or getting their heads bashed in and general mayhem and chaos and the media video reports to the public peaceful protesting.

LeBron James Slams "........" over Goodyear Boycott: "We Don’t Bend, Fold or Break for Nobody - Except China."

There’s Lebron James, talking about the horrors of slavery while slaves in "Chinese slave labor camps make shoes with Lebron James name on them for Nike. I guess if you signal that you have virtue, you don’t have to have any actual virtue."

Lebron James greatly helped the unemployment rate to go down to %2, that is for child slave labor in China.

A white says the n word and is chastised for it, a black rapper raps over and over and over ad nauseam on his albums the degrading and demeaning n word and is praised for his music and rewarded with millions of dollars with not a peep from the peanut gallery. Where is the outrage for the black rap albums full of the n word? It got lost in their double standard.

Colon Kapernick Nike's Ignorant Stephin Fetchit!

America, the land of the "regressives" proposed free health care for illegal aliens paid for by legal tax paying Americans who have to pay exorbitant rates for their own health insurance.

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,113 Admiral

A white Iowa teacher is under fire after photos appear to show her darkening her skin so she could look like a character from “Napoleon Dynamite.”

Art Tate, superintendent of the Davenport School District in Iowa, told the Quad-City Times in an email that Megan Luloff — a first-grade teacher at Walcott Elementary — is under investigation for showing up to a Halloween party on Friday with a face painted black as she tried to emulate Lafawnduh, a black character in the 2004 movie.

I am not suggesting we keep confederate monuments and nothing in my post suggested that.

My point was that the left wants to get rid of such things but at the same time  hypocritically dances and sings in Hamilton using black actors made up in costume as white slave owners and those concepts are not consistent with each other which makes it a double standard.

If a person is offended by what kelly said then they should be consistent and be offended that blacks are dressing as white slave owners and dancing and singing.
    If your point is extreme leftist can't be explained, I agree.  I feel the same with the extreme right as well.  It is lonely on the middle.  

-Walter Payton
    The same left wing people that are attacking the white Iowa teacher for dressing up and darkening her skin for a Halloween costume are hypocritically clapping and cheering when they go see Hamilton that has black actors playing white slave owners.

If a white man dressed up to play a black man in a Broadway play the hypocritical cast of Hamilton would have a fit and Al Roker would ask for an apology.

Only in America, where now the Communist Media labels their reporting videos as peaceful protesting while buildings are burning in the background, criminal thugs are running out of stores with looted goods, vehicles being burned out, innocent persons getting shot or getting their heads bashed in and general mayhem and chaos and the media video reports to the public peaceful protesting.

LeBron James Slams "........" over Goodyear Boycott: "We Don’t Bend, Fold or Break for Nobody - Except China."

There’s Lebron James, talking about the horrors of slavery while slaves in "Chinese slave labor camps make shoes with Lebron James name on them for Nike. I guess if you signal that you have virtue, you don’t have to have any actual virtue."

Lebron James greatly helped the unemployment rate to go down to %2, that is for child slave labor in China.

A white says the n word and is chastised for it, a black rapper raps over and over and over ad nauseam on his albums the degrading and demeaning n word and is praised for his music and rewarded with millions of dollars with not a peep from the peanut gallery. Where is the outrage for the black rap albums full of the n word? It got lost in their double standard.

America, the land of the "regressives" proposed free health care for illegal aliens paid for by legal tax paying Americans who have to pay exorbitant rates for their own health insurance.

Yes, extreme left or right is not thinking with the brain but only with extreme left or right ideology and that is dangerous.

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,113 Admiral
    The same left wing people that are attacking the white Iowa teacher for dressing up and darkening her skin for a Halloween costume are hypocritically clapping and cheering when they go see Hamilton that has black actors playing white slave owners.

If a white man dressed up to play a black man in a Broadway play the hypocritical cast of Hamilton would have a fit and Al Roker would ask for an apology.
    I'm sure the people in Davenport Iowa are flocking to see Hamilton
    Yes, extreme left or right is not thinking with the brain but only with extreme left or right ideology and that is dangerous.

I approve of this post.

-Walter Payton
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain

I'm sure the people in Davenport Iowa are flocking to see Hamilton
    DB - It doesn't matter whether the good people of Iowa are seeing Hamilton or not, the point is "What is good for the goose is good for the gander.' But, you know that. 
    My ancestors were Union not Confederate and I don't have any problem with getting rid of confederate monuments.

Since we are getting rid of confederate monuments and the such because those things memorializes slavery I have not heard any call from the left to remove all monuments and street names to all slave owners like Jefferson who owned hundreds of slaves and was played by a black man in Hamilton.

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,548 AG
    It's ridiculous.  She probably wouldn't have gotten in trouble had she not used the term blackface.  But in today's culture it is all the rage to find something and being outraged and offended.  Everybody is searching for their virtue signalling outrage moment.  Heck, it happens here daily with people who have small sacks and need to compensate.

Captain Todd Approves

• MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    mplspug said:
    It's ridiculous.  She probably wouldn't have gotten in trouble had she not used the term blackface.  But in today's culture it is all the rage to find something and being outraged and offended.  Everybody is searching for their virtue signalling outrage moment.  Heck, it happens here daily with people who have small sacks and need to compensate.
    Kinda like all the threads getting deleted.
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    edited October 2018 #20
    mplspug said:
    It's ridiculous.  But in today's culture it is all the rage to find something and being outraged and offended.  Everybody is searching for their virtue signalling outrage moment.  Heck, it happens here daily with people who have small sacks and need to compensate.
    The irony of this looking at the posts on OT is funny to me 
    What is this thread if not a rage of the offended 

it reminds me of a Monty Python skit
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,021 Admiral
    It's just a sign of personal weakness. Plain and simple. I have never walked past a monument or historical marker with my children that they didn't want to read or learn about it. I'm far more afraid for the future than the past. The past can't hurt anyone
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,548 AG
    Which one? :trollface:

I'm not seeing the irony.

Captain Todd Approves

• FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,461 Moderator
    edited October 2018 #23
    My ancestors were Union not Confederate and I don't have any problem with getting rid of confederate monuments.

Since we are getting rid of confederate monuments and the such because those things memorializes slavery I have not heard any call from the left to remove all monuments and street names to all slave owners like Jefferson who owned hundreds of slaves and was played by a black man in Hamilton.

How about African Flags? You know, the ones of the African countries that rounded up the slaves and sold them to the white slave owners? Don't have to look too far in society to find them. 
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    It doesn't take much to fall from grace. All you have to do is not tow the line straight enough.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,782 Admiral
    Dang, next thing you know they'll firing people just for being gay. 
    Or pregnant.
    Or old.

Or no reason at all.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    She knew what she was signing on to when she signed with NBC.
    She also knows, far better than us, the risks/rewards of speaking freely on the air.
    She is better suited to a different format/content.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,315 Captain
    She also knows, far better than us, the risks/rewards of speaking freely on the air.
    Kitchen, sammich..........?
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

WINNING!
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    I don't consider the confederacy American, given they succeeded from the union.  Non American monuments don't belong in this country, so I'm ok with getting rid of them.  People need to get over the confederate States, the war is over, you lost.  And no the south won't rise again.  I don't get the love affair.  

Edit
    Especially when most of the monuments were a by product of the daughters of the confederacy and will constructed decades after the war with a specific agenda in mind.  I've read, not sure if it is true, that Lee has more monuments than Washington... Which is ****ed up, if true that is.
    Your ignorance of U.S. history is showing. All Confederate States of America are legally U.S. veterans. I bet you believe the Southern States seceded because Lincoln opposed slavery and was planning to end it.
    Deo Vindice
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    edited October 2018 #29
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    sailfish2 said:
    Kitchen, sammich..........?
    Lol. Good thing you don't work for NBC!
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,822 Admin
    Kelly's comment, that it was ok to put on blackface when she was a child, was the truth. I guess black folks would have been offended by it back then, just like they would have been offended by Al Jolson costumed as a black minstrel.
    The difference is, now you can't say that it was ever ok. If you're on national TV you've got to observe political correctness.
    But I'll bet she wouldn't have been fired if her show had decent ratings.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!