Home Conservation Forums

i hate snitches

2»

Replies

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,295 Officer
    I had a report to FWC on a pretty well known captain that was doing illegal stuff. Well, they caught him at it, let him go, and then I got a cease and desist letter from the captain's lawyer! Of course I laughed it off,  but I will not report again unless anonymous.
      That doesnt make any sense. Co's are trained tom keep informants identity secret. How did the captain find out you called? Co's also must enforce the law when they find a violation that resulted from an informant. Something wrong with this incident.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,461 AG
    Good ol' boy network at work there
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 277 Deckhand
    No such thing...the law is the law!!
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 605 Officer
    Barrell said:
    I had a report to FWC on a pretty well known captain that was doing illegal stuff. Well, they caught him at it, let him go, and then I got a cease and desist letter from the captain's lawyer! Of course I laughed it off,  but I will not report again unless anonymous.
      That doesnt make any sense. Co's are trained tom keep informants identity secret. How did the captain find out you called? Co's also must enforce the law when they find a violation that resulted from an informant. Something wrong with this incident.
    That's crazy, makes you not want to call things in. I would take that up with some higher ups at FWC and find out how you were compromised during that investigation and what they are going to do about it cease and desist situation. That would really **** me off.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    one thing to remember....the poaching is a small,small problem with fish populations...but FWC makes a big deal out of it...those non- english speaking people probably eat every bit of the fish and the bait too....I can except that to a certain extent.....more so than cutting the leader on 20 sailfish a day or trying to get a 25 cent hook back out of a bass's gullet..

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    Sorry Salty but your wrong, poaching, particularly in saltwater is not a small, small problem. It's actually a very real and big problem. I'm speaking from experience, are u?
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
     i'm not talking about comm. type poaching ....mainly about land based folks fishing for few fish to eat..
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,457 AG
    I can tell you from experience that FWC is reluctant to write tickets on commercial violations between commercial fishermen, i.e. shrimper dragging up traps in a crab only zone even though it costs us thousand every year.

same with crabbers in a shrimp only zone, $300 ticket when it could be thousands (each trap is a violation).
    to be fair it's not all FWC's fault, blame also rests on local state attys office who are unwilling to prosecute such cases.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    edited May 2019 #40
    I know a lawyer who started off as assistant to the SA.  She referred to those crimes as "fishy" crimes.  They are not taken very seriously.  

In her defense, she was overloaded with work.  Rapes and other "real crimes."  One that made an impression on my was a grandmother/grandson incest situation.  60 y/o and 16 y/o.  Somewhere around Pace, FL.  For some reason that one really got her fired up.  She was mad at the grandma, I said the grandson was the one that should be prosecuted.  

Hope this advances the thread topic.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 877 Officer
    if they would prosecute the offenses and the judges fined them accordingly, those fines could be used for more law enforcement. fact is, the amount of man hours it takes and costs to prosecute these things is astronomical. then the judge gives them a slap on the wrist and they're out there doing it again as there really is little to no repercussion...
    This is a large part of the problem. Law enforcement does their job and the judicial system lets them off. Hell, the illegals and druggies aren't going to show up for court anyway. On the spot confiscation of gear and vehicle should be made into law if poaching is witnessed by LEO.
    Judicial system is overloaded.  So giving more money to LE might bring in more offenders, but they will still process them out quickly with a wrist slap ( or dismiss).
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
     i'm not talking about comm. type poaching ....mainly about land based folks fishing for few fish to eat..

Yes that "land based folks fishing for a few fish to eat" as you say is a huge problem
  • lmbrjacklmbrjack old townPosts: 20 Greenhorn
    But if you have Georgia license plate you can take scallops up to three weeks before Dixie county season( June 16 ) clean them out at the park dump the shells on the edge of rocks or sea wall just say something to local businessman was told to keep out of it or maybe I would not have tires on my truck when I get back in or they might go flat Horse shoe beach nice place to be just leave the tourist alone 

No, There is a lot of liability that no CO would expose himself to by exposing informant. If the poacher went after the informant and injured,killed,him,or burnt his house down . It would all come down hard on the CO. He would definitely be sued and fired. He would loose everything if there were serious injuries resulting form his leaking informants name.
  • midwesternermidwesterner Port CharlottePosts: 16 Greenhorn
    Call the FWC 888-404-3922.. Tell them this is a regular thing going on there and then call every time you see them doing it.
  • CaptDavidGonzalezCaptDavidGonzalez Atlanta/SarasotaPosts: 112 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I can tell you from experience that FWC is reluctant to write tickets on commercial violations between commercial fishermen, i.e. shrimper dragging up traps in a crab only zone even though it costs us thousand every year.

same with crabbers in a shrimp only zone, $300 ticket when it could be thousands (each trap is a violation).
    to be fair it's not all FWC's fault, blame also rests on local state attys office who are unwilling to prosecute such cases.
    So you admit you get away with murder, because FFWCC doesn't police you enough.

Ok.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,518 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:

So you admit you get away with murder, because FFWCC doesn't police you enough.

Ok.
    So much wrong with this post, where to start? Not only are you from out of state, you sound like part of the problem, a guide with zero credibility. You CCA types ARE the problem. And no, I'm not a commercial, but I know how you types operate. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TX21TX21 Posts: 24 Deckhand
    make the call.
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 2020 #50
    Game departments thrive on information. It hard to just wonder into a poacher . It happens but its way more efficient to know who, what,when,and where. Always try to get a registration number on the car or boat. If the CO's miss the guy they will wait for him at his house.