i hate snitches

meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 22 Greenhorn
unless its me doing the snitching,  5 x since aug 5th i,ve hunted picayune strand and we take a break at lunchtime head down 29 south stop at everglades bait and tackle grab some shrimp and fish the new bridge bout a mile south for couple hrs in the shade under the bridge.   everytime same bunch of no speaka english guys ,girls ,and there kids are there .  watched them put undersize trout and redfish in there cooler, took a quick peek in there cooler last saturday and must have been 20 undersize black drum and a couple undersize trout was gonna tell bait shop girl but they close early,  anyway seems like every saturday same people keeping everything they catch on rods or the castnet they throw every 15 minutes.     thats it

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,208 Captain
    Call fwc
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,217 Officer

If you don't make the call on them you are basically sanctioning them. You do not have to identify yourself to FWC, I have busted many poachers in my time and that is the main reason I am incognito on this forum. Once I even had a shotgun blasted in my direction on Molasses Reef when the captain of dive boat asked me to get a poacher’s boat registration numbers by snorkeling over to where I could see their bow numbers. These jerks were spear fishing in Pennakemp out of a go fast boat. They managed to out run the Marine Patrol after they spotted them coming... I was unable to get their registration numbers after the lookout fired the warning shot in my direction. This occurred in the mid 1970’s. After that incident I basically became an unpaid poacher buster.  If you are not going to drop the “Dime” on this group add more details on this forum about the location of this bridge and the time of the day etc.

Giimoozaabi
  • YakAddictYakAddict Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem. Call FWC. 
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 22 Greenhorn
    got fwc tip line now on my phone and left all the info.  thanks
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,070 Admiral
    Call when you see this in progress
  • backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Maybe make a quick run to the ranger station at ec. They are probably in touch with FWC. 
  • HawgfishHawgfish FloridaPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    way to go..... not
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    so...just for future reference what is the FWC tip line? 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 526 Officer
    By thinking that the bait shop would call is a gamble. They are making money selling bait to the poachers. Go direct and don't think it's to late to call since it already happened. High chances that they or a dozen others frequent that spot and do the same. 
  • Markxmas63Markxmas63 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    y'all inspired me to report something sent to me on social media today, but the FWC agent seemed annoyed to take the call and directed me to report online(would prefer remaining anonymous). Gotta love the enthusiasm from the agent there! And we wonder why the State is going s**t!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,208 Captain
    y'all inspired me to report something sent to me on social media today, but the FWC agent seemed annoyed to take the call and directed me to report online(would prefer remaining anonymous). Gotta love the enthusiasm from the agent there! And we wonder why the State is going s**t!
    Great first post. The lack of interest of a low level phone operator is not the reason our state is going to s**t. Dont be so emotional, get over it. The people who break the laws and take advantage are the reason our state is going to s**t. What were you reporting?
  • woeivwoeiv Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Had a pretty disappointing experience a couple years ago at Guana. Similar problem there, numerous people keeping under/oversized fish, all species. This goes on all the time, and gets way worse when the dam is running. I make the call to FWC and they say they cant make it out there today but i can be their "secret squirrel" and let them know when this illegal activity is occurring and who the culprits are. I tell them if the day ends in y it is occurring, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who the culprits are. They don't do anything about it. They need to crack down on this bs.
    FWC does a good job, but with limited resources FWC can't be everywhere everytime. Continue to call when see these instances occur.
  • snipes27snipes27 Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    there is also an FWC Reporter app for your cell phones... You can report anything from fish kills, abnormal fish (growths, etc) to invasive species to wildlife violations/poaching, straight from the app. either lets you fill something out or a 1 button press to call the local office... 

works well
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    meateater said:
    unless its me doing the snitching,  5 x since aug 5th i,ve hunted picayune strand and we take a break at lunchtime head down 29 south stop at everglades bait and tackle grab some shrimp and fish the new bridge bout a mile south for couple hrs in the shade under the bridge.   everytime same bunch of no speaka english guys ,girls ,and there kids are there .  watched them put undersize trout and redfish in there cooler, took a quick peek in there cooler last saturday and must have been 20 undersize black drum and a couple undersize trout was gonna tell bait shop girl but they close early,  anyway seems like every saturday same people keeping everything they catch on rods or the castnet they throw every 15 minutes.     thats it
    Tarponator can explain this away. He will help.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,172 Officer
    Good info, thanks

• Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 691 Officer
    if they would prosecute the offenses and the judges fined them accordingly, those fines could be used for more law enforcement. fact is, the amount of man hours it takes and costs to prosecute these things is astronomical. then the judge gives them a slap on the wrist and they're out there doing it again as there really is little to no repercussion...
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 938 Officer
    FWC does a good job, but with limited resources FWC can't be everywhere everytime. Continue to call when see these instances occur.

But yet they take plenty of federal money and are all over federal red snapper.   Seems odd a limited state agency that is spread thin would waste resources patrolling federal waters.   Then I found out that's where the money is.     Same old same old!

Hobbit free zone!!

FWC patrols federal waters as part of the job. If you are not seeing Officers check inshore waters as much as you would like discuss this with a FWC supervisor at your local office.
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 309 Deckhand
    IMO they are stealing from all of us and our children.

Narc 'em right out everytime.
    Agreed. If your not part of the solution your just as much of the problem.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,059 Officer
    If you can get your local CO's cell number that is always the most efficient way to report. I was a CO for 18 years and I always gave out my cell to informants that I knew I could trust to give me good info. Now good info means a registration number off of the car or boat and a good description of the "bad boys".
      Just because you dont see them show up does not mean they arent there. Many people hide their illegal fish. Any good CO is going to watch from a distance with binoculars or show up in plain clothes in order to observe, sometimes for hours before moving in for the bust.
     If its a very popular fishing spot with lots of people we would let the poachers leave in their car and pull them over far from the fishing site and make the bust. That way the others still fishing would not know we are working the area.
     Even if no one can get there your info will be held until they run into that boat or car again. But if you dont call nothing will happen. There is no game warden crystal ball.
      Finally never tell the poachers you called. Never confront them for their violating. Call and go back to fishing like nothing happened
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Be careful touching anyone else's cooler.  Could get into some kinda trouble...
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,948 Captain
    Yea, never walk up and open another persons cooler, leave that kind of stuff to the Law. If you can see what they have in plain sight then great, unfortunately good crooks are all to common these days.

I once watched a poacher who was diving under the long boat key bridge. I saw a car parked and no one around then this head pops up in the water under the bridge about 50' out. I watched the guy, he just sat there looking around and it looked suspicious. After he determined it was clear he got out and went over to the car and opened the trunk and loaded some spearfishing gear. Then he went back into the water and again sat there looking around. Then he came out of the water towing a huge 40"+ snook. Tossed it into the trunk got into the car and drove off. I called the FWC and reported his tag but they told me they could not pull him over and check is trunk on the road. :( that one got away but, on another occasion I saw a similar thing and called. The FWC was there very quickly and caught the guy in the water with an undersized grouper. There is a lot of poaching going on under that bridge.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,021 Officer
    edited December 10 #27
    I don't understand why the FWC could not pull him over and search the car. When you called and gave them the information that should have been sufficient probable cause to check the trunk. However if you called anonymously the probable may not have been sufficient for a stop of the vehicle.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain