Home Off Topic

That's appalling to me

TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
edited October 2018 in Off Topic #1
So I came across this article on yahoo today:

Woman claims Delta flight attendants joked about husband's severe cat allergy: 'That's appalling to me'

https://sports.yahoo.com/woman-claims-delta-flight-attendants-joked-husbands-severe-cat-allergy-thats-appalling-200312661.html

The story felt a bit wierd to me when I read it, which led me to dig a bit.  So, now consider the original story, locally reported:  

Delta prioritized cats over her husband's severe allergies, wife claims

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/delta-prioritized-cats-over-her-husband-s-severe-allergies-wife-claims/858418438

Does anything strike you as odd about these two news stories?

Two quite different things seem odd to me -- one kind of obvious but the other kind of out of right field -- but more on that later.  

What do you think?

Replies

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,552 Admiral
    I don't believe anything from yahoo.  

I've had my yahoo account since 1995 the only email account i've ever had.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Delta,,, Don’t Expect Luggage To Arrive. 
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 439 Deckhand
    Delta is the worst, I will never forget my transfer in Atlanta, I was there 10 minutes before departure, all closed up, they knew we landed and could have waited, sold our tickets and stuck me with a 3 hr delay, this is just one nightmare from them
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 866 Officer
    edited October 2018 #5
    Guess thats why they pulled the free peanuts, and yes i saw a little slant there.
    Hope no tiny asians read that
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 594 Officer
    Come to think of it o remember a trip to Utah. My luggage arrived when i got home to West palm.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,190 Captain
    Delta lost my luggage on overseas flight. (With 1 extra 1hr flight). I had to buy new clothes in a foreign country.  They would not repay me, as the last flight was a small domestic carrier, which they blamed.
     I politely informed them that I would be booking ~4 flights each month for the next year, and they would lose a bunch of $$.  
    I booked thru Lufthansa after that, and could not be happier. Prices were comparable, but service was night and day. 
    Eff delta 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,602 AG

Yes the first links domain is from the sports section?
    https://sports.yahoo.com/

Captain Todd Approves

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    I will give Delta credit when due. 
     My trip to Montana went like clockwork. 
     No problems, great service. 
     Also using the delta app helps tremendously. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    edited October 2018 #10
    The fact that it's the attention-seeking woman carrying on about it and not the actual "victim"stands out to me.  Otherwise, just yammering from a dumb broad.

Lewis (the p***** husband - no pun intended) sounds pathetic.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,402 Admiral
    I'm not a fan of all this animal going on flight crap.  Cat and dog allergies are real and can be dangerous.  My father has severe allergies.  I get blind people need service animals but this emotional crap is nonsense.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    Even blind people don't need them when they're in the seats of an airplane.  
    Not like they're crossing intersections.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,293 AG
    the outrage, the scandal, it's appalling....give me an ever****iing break, i'm so sick of the outrage and shock in this country....it's like all the sponsored ads you see "this jawdropping secret blah blah blah"  and "bombshell blah blah blah".

Get over yourself. 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    Even blind people don't need them when they're in the seats of an airplane.  
    Not like they're crossing intersections.
    They still need to get to the airport and through the airport.  And they will need it when they land.  Some people legitimately need service animals and a bunch of worthless snowflakes are exploiting their actual need.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    I don't disagree.
    But even the legitimate ones can go in the cargo area.
    I don't disagree.
    But even the legitimate ones can go in the cargo area.
    Agreed.  

-Walter Payton
    So they can arrive as a frozen corpse?

I'd never trust my pets life with an airline. 

A representative of Delta sent a statement to Yahoo Lifestyle on the incident: “The comfort and safety of every customer who flies Delta is our top priority and we work hard to ensure those with allergies are well taken care of. We have reached out directly to this customer to better understand his and his family’s experience and apologize for the inconvenience this situation may have caused.”

According to the airline’s policy on pet allergies, “With service animals often on board, we can’t guarantee a pet-free or allergen-free flight. We can allow you to board early to clean your seat area of trace allergens, but you must bring your own cleaning materials. Please notify a Delta representative if you need to change seats due to an allergy or other health need.”

They got money out of it. Screw them.

Captain Todd Approves

Then don't fly?  Animal allergies can be life threatening, it isn't a joke.  I'm fine with service animals for legitimate reasons, but emotional animals is a joke.  People need to deal with stress straight and stop being a ****y.

-Walter Payton
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited October 2018 #19
    mplspug said:

Yes the first links domain is from the sports section?
    https://sports.yahoo.com/
    That wasn't it.

While focusing on Delta's service and our experiences is a predictable response, as is the recent trend of pets being let on airplanes and the heath risks that go along with that.  

None of them were the reason I shared these articles.
    Thanks for the answer :trollface:

Captain Todd Approves

Well, I must've missed it.  What were the 2 oddities that you noticed?
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    I don't care.
    you asked.....
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    edited October 2018 #23
    The difference in the spin in the two articles was the first point.

The employers of the couple (and their first class tickets) was the other -- they have a rather unique last name and the results were a bit surprising.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 866 Officer
    Id rather fly with dogs and cats than most kids
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Times are a changing. Blows my mind the number of people carting small dogs every where they go. Especially grocery stores and a few eating establishments... Leave the darn thing home for goodness sake!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    I don't eat in places where dogs eat.
    Never knew I had this rule until about 10 yrs ago when it started becoming popular.

More canines, less people who don't like dogs.

Captain Todd Approves

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    If you need an emotional support animal to live, then you should stay home.
    Agreed. Some people just don't belong.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    If you need an emotional support animal to live, then you should stay home.
    Even vets with PTSD?