Home Off Topic

Only in Gainesville! What's wrong with this picture?

Replies

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral

Let me try again.

23895.gif
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Forum is broken.  Can't post photo.
    23895.gif
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,179 Captain

Im not surprised   
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    Garontead to miss appropreate yo moneys
  • bkitnerbkitner Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Go Gata Go Gata on the floor of the house has to earn you something
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #7
    The "sign" is just vinyl wrap.  No permanence.  
    Though I'm sure the city commissioners will vote for a "temporary" property tax increase to fund a larger sign made out of marble.  They can burn the old sign in their biofiscal- destruction plant.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,543 AG
    If that’s the local authority that transports prisoners to jail, I’m all for it.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,554 AG
    It's where they keep all the short buses. 

Captain Todd Approves

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,243 AG
    is it some new inmate relocation project?  
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    I have never been fond of buildings named after politicians, much less ones that are alive, and this is no different.
    Duly noted. :trollface:

Captain Todd Approves

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    I've never been fond of naming anything after a convicted felon currently serving their sentences.

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,592 AG
    edited October 2018 #14
    There is nothing wrong with the picture when you know the story. the OP seems to think this was a new decision to name the facility after her. 

It was named the Corrine Brown Transit Facility back in 2014, when the facility was opened. Brown helped secure the federal funding that allowed the facility to be built., 

The commission is now in the process of trying to decide to remove her name due to her criminal conviction. Apparently a few want to wait until her appeal is over and some want her name gone now, Her name will likely be removed sometime in the near future.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    cadman said:
    There is nothing wrong with the picture when you know the story. the OP seems to think this was a new decision to name the facility after her. 

It was named the Corrine Brown Transit Facility back in 2014, when the facility was opened. Brown helped secure the federal funding that allowed the facility to be built., 

The commission is now in the process of trying to decide to remove her name due to her criminal conviction. Apparently a few want to wait until her appeal is over and some want her name gone now, Her name will likely be removed sometime in the near future.

If it was a civil war statue it would have already been taken care of by the masked mob.  
    Finfinder said:
    cadman said:

If it was a civil war statue it would have already been taken care of by the masked mob.  
    There was a decision to relocate the civil war statute in front of our old Courthouse a few years ago. But during the entire debate of the issue which took over a year, the statute was never bother by anyone or molested in any way.

Gainesville does lean left, but both sides are very civil in this town. Your town may be different. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,315 Captain
    "It was named the Corrine Brown Transit Facility back in 2014, when the facility was opened. Brown helped secure the federal funding that allowed the facility to be built., "

Bet she made a mint with the money she hustled from that deal.
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

WINNING!
    cadman said:
    Finfinder said:
    cadman said:

There was a decision to relocate the civil war statute in front of our old Courthouse a few years ago. But during the entire debate of the issue which took over a year, the statute was never bother by anyone or molested in any way.

Gainesville does lean left, but both sides are very civil in this town. Your town may be different. 
    So you are saying you didn't get the point.   :s
    Finfinder said:
    cadman said:
    AFinfinder said:
    cadman said:

I know what you attempted to make, just pointed out it was incorrect for this town .

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    I know what you attempted to make, just pointed out it was incorrect for this town .
    Understood but it shouldn't need a committee to take it down.  It's not like her reputation will ever be restored even if she wins the appeal.  
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    edited October 2018 #21
    Gotta go thru the motions to keep her dumb con-stich-uancy  appeased.
    You can't monkey around with the process.  Gotta follow de rules.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    cadman said:
    Finfinder said:
    cadman said:
    AFinfinder said:
    cadman said:

It's incorrect for the vast majority of towns.  A red herring is a red herring.

How many confederate statues are there in the US?  Over 600.

How many have been "taken care of by the masked mob"?  One?  Two?

What % is the 1st number of the 2nd number?  A tiny %.

And there you have the real truth of the matter rather than the red herring.

Now the interesting angle for me is the argument "for history sake" to keep up the confederate statues but rename a bus facility named for the politician most directly responsible for its construction.   Does that seem consistent?
    edited October 2018 #23
    History remembers those other people.  Brown, people probably hardly remember her now. 

Captain Todd Approves

edited October 2018 #24
    That's an interesting angle, however in this case:

The generic confederate soldier's statue in Gainesville is not named for a person.  The bus station is.

Regardless, I'm not sure the decision should be made on popularity.
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    Yea, let's promote criminal behavior by placing their name on a city facility. Wow, that's backwards.
    That's why we are a Republic :trollface:

Captain Todd Approves

• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    mplspug said:
    That's why we are a Republic :trollface:

And not a confederacy, because that would inhale vigorously 
    edited October 2018 #28
    MGTeacher said:
    Yea, let's promote criminal behavior by placing their name on a city facility. Wow, that's backwards.
    The building was named before she was a criminal.

The statues were put up after these soldiers fought a war over slavery.

You're right, it's backwards, but just not like you were intending.
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    DB - Of course you disagree, it's all you can do. MAGA!!!!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    She was a criminal, just not convicted of the crimes at the time it was named in her honor. 
    edited October 2018 #31
    In your mind, perhaps.  In this country, you're not a criminal until you're proven that way in court, and given her appeal is still being heard, even that's an open question.

Were the confederate soldiers guilty of treason?

If not, why not?