Home Off Topic

Replies

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    edited October 2018 #2
    Are we not happy with a trillion dollar deficit...is it not enough?

Now is the time to raise taxes and fill our coffers. Maybe just to the levels that the ronnie raygun republicans were happy with...
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    We should decrease taxes and decrease spending. 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,665 Admiral
    How is middle being defined?  Personally I'm fine with my tax rate and would rather see a balanced budget like we had with Clinton.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    Cyclist said:

Now is the time to raise taxes and fill our coffers. Maybe just to the levels that the ronnie raygun republicans were happy with...
    Depending on how middle is defined, the amount maybe negligible.  I'm making up numbers, because middle has yet to be defined, but if they only pay 10% of taxes, a 10% reduction will have little impact.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,534 AG
    so i'm supposed to be upset because the rich got their tax cut and now I'm not supposed to get mine?   Pfftttt  Good luck selling that.    Pass the tax cut and give me my 10% off.   
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    so i'm supposed to be upset because the rich got their tax cut and now I'm not supposed to get mine?   Pfftttt  Good luck selling that.    Pass the tax cut and give me my 10% off.   
    It is kind of funny that the last tax cut was billed as a middle class break... and now we are being told about a middle class tax cut.  It is almost like the first cut in fact wasn't for the middle class.

-Walter Payton
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,135 Admiral
    Cyclist said:

You're welcome to pay as much as you please. Thanks in advance
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Does anyone with a functional brain believe anything that Mr. Trump says?
    Hes not a total liar, or at least hes not much worse than the rest of them....he seems to be working on this list as we speak

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/jul/15/donald-trumps-top-10-campaign-promises/
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    It is kind of funny that the last tax cut was billed as a middle class break... and now we are being told about a middle class tax cut.  It is almost like the first cut in fact wasn't for the middle class.
    Who cares cutting taxes is always a good thing.   
    edited October 2018 #13
    Scoutboat said:
    Does anyone with a functional brain believe anything that Mr. Trump says?
      Does anybody with a functional brain think these types of projective talking points is effective especially given how campaign promises are being followed through.   
    Finfinder said:
    kellercl said:
    Looking at the 17% deficit increase with the next two years being over a trillion annually....  You sure about that?

-Walter Payton
    edited October 2018 #15
    We can always cut spending....in fact that's the best way to get out of debt. 
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    edited October 2018 #16
    Reel Teal said:
    Start with the new nuclear arms race trump is creating and maybe the space force....and about 50% of the rest of the existing defense budget.
    edited October 2018 #17
    kellercl said:
    Finfinder said:
    kellercl said:
    Looking at the 17% deficit increase with the next two years being over a trillion annually....  You sure about that?
    Yea I am.   What about cutting spending.   What was the choice when the budget came around to be approved ? Where does it end when I'm taxed 100% of my income? 
    edited October 2018 #18
    Reel Teal said:
    Given how absurd our debt is, I personally think cuts and a decent income (e.g. tax rate) are both required to remedy our current predicament.  And to be clear cutting costs will absolutely include military.  

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    Reel Teal said:
    Given how absurd our debt is, I personally think cuts and a decent income (e.g. tax rate) are both required to remedy our current predicament.  And to be clear cutting costs will absolutely include military.  
    I agree that the debt is absurd.  Our military was basically abandoned by the last administration at least neglected.   What you are talking about is ideal but I'm not under any delusions their is any quick fix nor putting the left in power is in mine or the countries best interest.  Certainly we need a strong economy before attempting to reduce the debt.  
    Our economy is pretty good. So good thousands of hondurans are demanding to enter and feed off of it. The military is the most important piece of our spending. I keep it and start to dismantle the social programs. People need to get more involved locally making their homes a better place. Get the feds out of it. We could all have more money and cut the deficit. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited October 2018 #21
    Middle class tax cuts -- like the tax break for corporations and the very wealthy that haven't gone over as well as the con men selling them wished -- are nothing but dangling a carrot to prospective voters dumb enough to have believed the first one was intended for them.

The facts are that wage increases, the ultimate measure, have been outpaced by inflation and cost of living increases, further reducing the real buying power of the overwhelming majority of Americans.

And they call themselves nationalists and even cheer for it.

Just add it to the bill and let our children and grandchildren pay for it, I suppose.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,200 Captain
    Feel free to correct me if I am wrong:

I believe that the last Tax cut(s), had an expiration on the personal tax cuts... But, the corporate tax cuts were more permanent... HOWEVER; there was a legal/legislation reason for this.  It was due to how the congress rules worked at the time..  

I am all for tax cuts for all.  However, we need the FED Govt to spend far far far less..  We have a spending problem, not a taxing problem.  
    In Trumps defense, He did not quite understand how congress works.... 
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,823 Admin
    edited October 2018 #25
    Cutting taxes in a strong economy is about the stupidest thing we can do, economically. That's something to save for an economic turndown, just like cutting interest rates.
    We're going to have another recession, probably by 2020, and the ability of the Fed to ease us out of it will be severely hampered by the amount of debt incurred by the last tax cut and the unconstrained spending of this Congress.
    You should pay down your debt when times are good, so that you can borrow when you need to in hard times. And it is total b.s. that "the tax cut will pay for itself", just like the belief that corporations would use their tax savings for massive hiring.
    Your kids and grandkids are going to owe the money that the corporations and wealthy individuals received in the last cut, and that you would receive if this one is enacted.
    But there's not going to be any cut - it's purely a political carrot being dangled in front of voters. There's a snowball's chance in hell of it getting passed - even the current clowns in congress know how much it would add so much to the deficit and debt. Notice that virtually no one is campaigning on the "success" of the last one.

As for the spending problem, we've finally put the rest the silly notion that one party spends more than the other. Congress has no appetite for spending cuts. Besides, the real savings are in entitlement reform, and you haven't seen that seriously proposed since Bush brought it up.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    In Trumps defense, He did not quite understand how congress works.... 
    Does not
    Or does not care

Will say anything for a pat on the back
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    How cute....all this feigned outrage over debt from the same folks who applauded as the last admin added $9Trillion to the debt in 8 years. Whhhhhaaaa!!
    Its hard to accurately quantify how much of the "good economy" is a result of the tax cuts.  But, it did appear that many larger corporations did pass some "savings" down the line..  

I personally think our entire tax system is a fraud.  I think their should be zero tax for corporations/personal.  We should have a national sales tax(with exemptions).  But, both parties won't be able to dole out "favors" via tax breaks..

As for the DEBT; both parties are to blame.  Both parties increased the debt.  Obama doubled it.  Trump may do the same..  Our currency will suffer at some point; and we will be a 2-3rd world economy once the rest of the world uses a different currency.  
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    Cyclist said:
    Reel Teal said:
    Start with the new nuclear arms race trump is creating and maybe the space force....and about 50% of the rest of the existing defense budget.
    For sure.  But start with that.  And cut spending elsewhere as well.
    But cut taxes.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    edited October 2018 #30
    Its hard to accurately quantify how much of the "good economy" is a result of the tax cuts.  But, it did appear that many larger corporations did pass some "savings" down the line..  

I personally think our entire tax system is a fraud.  I think their should be zero tax for corporations/personal.  We should have a national sales tax(with exemptions).  But, both parties won't be able to dole out "favors" 
    If you want to do away with the income taxes, we have to stop the endless wars, after all the rationale for income tax is funding war
    nuevowavo said:
    Cutting taxes in a strong economy is about the stupidest thing we can do, economically. That's something to save for an economic turndown, just like cutting interest rates.
    We're going to have another recession, probably by 2020, and the ability of the Fed to ease us out of it will be severely hampered by the amount of debt incurred by the last tax cut and the unconstrained spending of this Congress.
    You should pay down your debt when times are good, so that you can borrow when you need to in hard times. And it is total b.s. that "the tax cut will pay for itself", just like the belief that corporations would use their tax savings for massive hiring.
    Your kids and grandkids are going to owe the money that the corporations and wealthy individuals received in the last cut, and that you would receive if this one is enacted.
    But there's not going to be any cut - it's purely a political carrot being dangled in front of voters. There's a snowball's chance in hell of it getting passed - even the current clowns in congress know how much it would add so much to the deficit and debt. Notice that virtually no one is campaigning on the "success" of the last one.

As for the spending problem, we've finally put the rest the silly notion that one party spends more than the other. Congress has no appetite for spending cuts. Besides, the real savings are in entitlement reform, and you haven't seen that seriously proposed since Bush brought it up.
    you cannot win elections raising taxes