Bad news at the Riner household

Good morning,

I know this will be long, but there’s not really not a more brief way to let you all know what’s going on.  Read it at your leisure.

About 2 weeks ago, Lora went for a routine mammogram and 2 days later received the call we always fear we'll get.  It appeared there was a suspicious spot that needed further investigation.  Last Monday, October 15th, we went to Tifton for a needle biopsy.  We had hoped the spot was only a calcification or thickening of the tissue.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  Lora received a message to call her doctor in Tifton on Wednesday and he told her that the spot was, indeed, cancerous.  She has Ductile Carcinoma In Situ (DCIS) which means the cells are all contained and are not aggressive at this point.  This is the same type of cancer she had before and is in almost the same place.

We met with Doctor Joel Johnson last Thursday and he discussed options with us.  Since she  received radiation before, and the cancer is on the same side, that is not a possibility this time. 

Lora had also called the Center for Breast Care in Savannah where she had surgery 13 years ago when she had cancer the first time.  The physician she saw before has since retired, but Dr. Elena Rehl had an appointment available for yesterday, October 22 and we went to Savannah bright and early.  The doctor laid out exactly what needed to be done and took the time to discuss it with us.  Lora will have to have a mastectomy on the side that’s affected, but has chosen to do a bilateral procedure to greatly reduce the possibility of having to go through another cancer diagnosis later in life.  There will be sentinel node biopsies done on both sides of Lora’s body to make sure no invasive cancer has moved outside the breasts.

We were fortunate that the cosmetic surgeon who will be handling Lora’s reconstruction had an appointment available yesterday afternoon.  We stayed in Savannah and made a day of it to see him at 3:45.  Dr. Joseph Campbell (we couldn’t help but think of the soup empire) is the cosmetic surgeon and he took a great deal of time with us yesterday afternoon discussing possibilities for reconstruction. 

She’ll be having the mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time.  While the surgeries will take all day to complete, there will be fewer follow-up procedures with the option Lora has selected.  Additionally, if and when the sentinel nodes come back clear, Lora won’t have to have any chemotherapy. She'll have to spend 3 nights in the hospital. First night in ICU for hourly monitoring of blood flow to reconstruction sites, second night in the step-down unit, and third night in a regular room.  

At this point, we only know that the surgery will likely take place within the next two weeks.  When we have a confirmed date, I will share it with you.  Until that time I would ask that, if you’re a religious person, you pray for us.  If not, send the most positive thoughts you can in our direction.  We believe God is in control and this has been detected early enough to be gone when the surgery is completed.  Healing will take time, but we will be able to enjoy one another for many years to come after this is done.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers,

Brad

Proverbs 13:3

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,618 Captain
    Prayers
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,725 Captain
    In Situ is good.  God is in control , stay in touch with Him.  God Bless and Keep ya'll.
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,931 Captain
    Best wishes for a comfortable recovery.

• SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,890 Admiral

Philippians 4:6-7 

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Psalm 50:15 

15 Call upon Me in the day of trouble;
    I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me.”

Romans 8:28 

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

1 Peter 5:7

7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

“The Lord bless you and keep you;
    The Lord make His face shine upon you,
    And be gracious to you;
    The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
    And give you peace.” ’

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 607 Officer
    Wow, tough news but looks like you guys have a good plan and very competent help. Best of luck as you go through this. Prayers for fast healing.
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,975 Captain

I always pray for the Riners and I will direct extra upstairs on Lora's behalf.

(I like her better anyway...)

There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 2,387 Moderator
    Not good Brad but it sounds you're on the right path. Marci and I will keep both of you in our thoughts and prayers.

." why would someone want to be a moderator in the first place?"

"There is no compensation for that task other than the satisfaction one might get from being an ***."

mindyabizness

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• BayBobBayBob Posts: 750 Officer
    Sending the most positive thoughts I can muster.
  • fsuwxmanfsuwxman Posts: 1,265 Officer
    Hate to hear this news but sounds like it was caught early and an aggressive plan is in place to lick it. Will be thinking of y’all. 
    2015 FS Northwest Forum NASCAR Champion
  • GrumpyDavidGrumpyDavid JacksonvillePosts: 44 Greenhorn

This is always news you don't want to get. Prayers and best wishes.....

But if it has to come y'all got relatively good news.  Sounds like its confined and early.  Thirteen years is a recurrence but not generally a repeat.  The docs working together will have the best results in the reconstruction.

• stanwillstanwill Posts: 396 Deckhand
    Prayers going up,Brad.
    Just an old ,fat man that likes to fish
  • amada8amada8 Posts: 782 Officer
    Hoping for the best of outcomes, Brad.  
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,708 Captain
    Thoughts and prayers here 
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • cc13cc13 Posts: 517 Officer
    Hoping for the best!!
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 674 Officer
    We will add your family to our prayers Brad. My wife had a rough 3 years with open heart surgery and emergency brain surgery, so I know how helpless you feel when your loved one is facing a challenge. Prayer and the miracles of modern medicine will see you and your wife thru this.   

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,589 AG
    Hate to read this and will be praying for y'all, everyone involved surgically/medically and the family.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • billybobbillybob Posts: 726 Officer
    Sad news.   I'll be praying for you guys
  • JTRJTR Posts: 1,059 Officer
    Thoughts and prayers from our family to yours.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,888 Captain
    edited October 23 #20
    Lora is lucky, she has you. Together the fight will be won.
    I saw my mother and father fight the same battle, he is gone,now she is 88.5 years old.
    Hang tight, all will be good brother.
    F the feds
  • PineywoodsPineywoods Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Will have y'all in my prayers
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,823 Captain
    It's good they caught it early.  Prayers for all involved & a fast recovery.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,742 Captain
    We got a call from the surgeon yesterday.  She's scheduled for Tuesday, November 13, at 8:30 a.m.  And thus, it begins.  Thanks for all the kind words, well wishes, and prayers guys.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,589 Captain
    Prayers for you and Lora....My mom went through same thing years ago.  It can be beat. 
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,778 AG
    Hoping for the best!!
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • God Bless
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,344 Officer
    Thats very sad news, but full of positives.
    You have caught things early and it reads as though you are in some very capable professional's hands.
    Its going to be  tough time for you all, we send our most positive thoughts and our prayers.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,168 Captain
    This brought water to my eyes.
    i am so sorry my friend.
    Both of you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Amen.
    Lora really does have the best partner and husband, and best friend in the whole world.
    Hang in there.
    You got this!
    God, save the South!
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,471 Captain
    Prayers for y’all. The plan from the medical professionals sounds good. And it was caught early, which is also good. 
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,846 Captain
    Man that's rough... Keep your heads up!
  • AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 76 Greenhorn
    Prayers sent. We're behind you guys.