Home General Hunting

No Doe harvest in Threelakes

Replies

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    My memeory on tenorac is FWC stopped planting it. We never lost it, but if they are redoing it great 
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    edited October 2018 #33
    BG, what you're suggesting would have a significant negative impact on WMAs if it were to happen. I dont believe it would be one that most WMA.hunters would want to see either. The problem at 3 lakes isn't being caused by how the neighbors are managing. I don't believe that tying the two together would be a good move for the public hunter. The system as it is today doesn't create that need. In areas where the DMU had reduced "doe days", that didn't automatically reduce antlerless opportunities on all the WMAs in the DMU.
  • OwlseyOwlsey Posts: 321 Deckhand
    I don't think there is a conspiracy. Numbers are probably down.
    Why are numbers down?
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    Why are numbers down?
    lead poisoning 
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,556 Captain
    Why are numbers down?
    lead poisoning 
    Ufo’s are raining down on them.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    bgeorge said:
    Email sent. I'll share response when one is given.
    Request how many doe permits were issued for private lands in that DMU and how many acres of land it makes up.
    I was passed off to someone else,Morgan Richardson. I will follow up with this question after hearing from Morgan.
  • arrowheadhuntarrowheadhunt Posts: 204 Deckhand
    bgeorge said:
    Request how many doe permits were issued for private lands in that DMU and how many acres of land it makes up.
    You probably know this which is why you are telling him to ask.....

Antlerless tags for hunting are issued upon request for private land at 1 tag per 150 acres.
    Different criteria are used for depridation permits.

It would be interesting to know the total number of antlerless tags issued in each DMU as well as the actual number of deer killed including those on a depredation permit. 

But keeping track of actual deer killed is another topic.
    nothing they ever take from us is ever given back..if I am wrong show me
    Bear.....oh wait, nevermind.

Take it away, give it back for 2 days take it away again.
    it took 30 yrs for the first give back BTW
    Antlerless deer  harvest used to be prohibited statewide. Same goes for alligators. Buck harvest used to require a tag statewide.

Not counting any of that I guess?
    Nope because it has no relevance whatsoever... 
    Okie dokie! LOL

Hope they give back the statewide buck tags. Would be a step in the right direction.
    You never answered this What public neighbor would that be?
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    This is what I received,(I did omit my last name after pasting)

Dear Mr . xyz
    Thank you for email and interest in the Three Lakes deer herd.  In response to declining deer abundance and hunter concerns about low deer numbers,  antlerless deer harvest was suspended in order to allow the deer population to increase.    We will continue to monitor the population and adapt harvest opportunities to benefit deer and hunters.  If you have additional concerns or questions please feel free to give me a call. 

Sincerely, 

Morgan Richardson
    Director, Hunting & Game Management 
    850-800-7360

You never answered this What public neighbor would that be?
    Maybe because that's not what I said.
    edited October 2018 #49
    BS, see below for clarification.
    Public land and private land are apples and oranges.

Almost all of the private land bordering 3 lakes harvest deer less intensively than the WMA. I talked to someone yesterday who is helping manage the deer on a neighboring private property. Their deer numbers are quite different from those of 3 lakes. I don't see the logic in penalizing them for managing better than their public neighbor.
    Sorry if you missed it. I'd be glad to clarify the obvious for you. The public neighbor of most of the private lands that border 3 lakes would be................ wait for it.......... 3 lakes. Duh. LOL

Some of the private lands that border 3 lakes also border other public lands but most do not.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 491 Deckhand
    Bull creek is down the street and they are allowed doe 
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    bgeorge said:

Antlerless tags for hunting are issued upon request for private land at 1 tag per 150 acres.

It would be interesting to know the total number of antlerless tags issued in each DMU as well as the actual number of deer killed including those on a depredation permit. 

and there have been people who get more when asked for. 

My big thing is that since the State was divided into 12 sections in order to manage deer access, then all State management goals for each of those DMU's should be consistent across all land in that DMU.   

In Three Lakes, at the private land rate, you could get issued at least 364 doe tags   Over the last 3 years the public hunter has not harvested more than 35 does a year.  Aprox 1/10 of what a private land owner could get tags for.  They could also currently take advantage of not burning a tag during archery or doe days and use those tags at times when doe harvest was closed for the rest of the DMU.  Now they have had it cut to 0%.  I am not suggesting that we should go try to get 364 does but that that the harvest under the previous plan was not alarming and should not have been cut to 0.  

Now is the time to get your comments heard as they are getting ready to go to draft rule with plans for next season.  Do not wait until it is etched in stone to try to get archery doe access back.

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
    Anyone think the surrounding land owners around 3 lakes got the doe harvest scratched? That response was incomplete and had no scientific reasoning.. BOHICA
    bgeorge said:
    bgeorge said:

and there have been people who get more when asked for. 

My big thing is that since the State was divided into 12 sections in order to manage deer access, then all State management goals for each of those DMU's should be consistent across all land in that DMU.   

I agree with this.
    I thought the purpose of establishing DMU's was to more accurately monitor and manage the herd and hunting opportunities in an area.
    Primarily because of the vast differences in habitat and pressure from hunting and apex predators between the panhandle and the Everglades. 

Removal of opportunity to better the herd should be uniform across the DMU.
    Yup, but ...."the survey says..." BOHICA the number one answer, do you want to play or pass
    Just an FYI... the next thing FWC will propose is to close the area to hunting....so yall better start getting involved
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Gritsnhuntin posted the letter response from FWC. Those Hunting Three Lakes complained and received a response to a possible decline in the deer population. The removal of the doe harvest should result in the increase to the deer herd. To continue the harvest of does just because a neighboring property still can harvest does is poor management. Private lands have tight harvest requirements for the most part. It's good business. Public lands for the most part are hammered often, meaning the herd can receive a greater impact during the same period. Private land hunters can pick and choose best times to hunt unpressured deer, whereas we (I'm one) have to get after the deer even when weather doesn't cooperate. FWC provides us a place to hunt even when it may not be a "supreme" or even a good place to hunt. You know what? I'm good with that - I hunt because it's in my genetic makeup. I have good friends that hunt but it's not in their genes. If feeders and food plots were banned they'd give up deer hunting in a heart beat. So restrict the doe harvest if it's best for the resource.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    Possible or certified decline?

Any we have had doe restriction in place for yrs? What about those results?

I mean are you just going to continue to let em take away with no facts or science?

Those"surrounding land owners" have some pretty big pull in Tallahassee
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,950 Captain
    Possible or certified decline?

Any we have had doe restriction in place for yrs? What about those results?

I mean are you just going to continue to let em take away with no facts or science?

Those"surrounding land owners" have some pretty big pull in Tallahassee
    [email protected] ask him for the reason why 
    already have spoken with him on the phone about the same problem in another area.. got the same response and an excuse about an old deer management plan that is out dated but that's a whole other subject. If you want to see the email reply ill gladly pass it along, but I got a phone call thats non documented. So if your trying to call me out fine.. but I know what drives any decisions with regards to that particular pc of property. BOHICA
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,950 Captain
    Just trying to help. You seem to still have a bunch of questions.