Home General Hunting

No Doe harvest in Threelakes

gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
Any idea why the doe harvest was eliminated this year? Couldn't find any info as to why.

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    edited October 2018 #2
    Gotta feed those cougars! 
    I'd like to know what properties have OPENED doe harvest in the last decade?  I've got one wma within 3 hours of me that allows doe harvest during archery only. 
    They really should be more communicative with regulation changes and their reasoning.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    probably because there ain't many deer..
    edited October 2018 #5
    ^That's not exactly a correct assumption.  I can point you to many places all over florida that are literally crawling with deer they won't let you hunt (specifically swfl).  Not does, not bucks...
    No idea what the situation is at 3lakes btw, just sayin
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    [email protected] ask him for the reason why 
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,354 Captain
    THREE LAKES DEER COUNT IS DOWN AND HAS BEEN DOWN FOR YEARS
    living life as i like
    Didn't AR's get implemented there? Aren't they the golden parachute to QDMA here in Fl?
    edited October 2018 #9
    How far is 3 lakes from where that 23pointer that was poached?
    Is shooting a hi fence buck from another state poaching off a game preserve?
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,556 Captain
    probably because there ain't many deer..
    I’m going to go out on a limb and say we have a winner here!
    spangler said:
    How far is 3 lakes from where that 23pointer that was poached?
    100 miles or so.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    I hunt 3 lakes and was wondering. I agree with lower number being seen but will we ever get doe harvest back? Even a lottery or something. I prolly already know the answer to this but wanted to know anyone else’s thoughts. I can go into some areas in there and pretty much every year be able to harvest a doe. Now that it’s gone I can’t help but wonder if its gone for good.
    nothing they ever take from us is ever given back..if I am wrong show me
    Back when we had doe week we had no problem seeing doe deer none.. now all the sudden the numbers are low after implementing added protection/restrictions? Hmmm, whats that telling you? Its always the hunter to blame...take it away from the hunter.
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    Turkey in Holmes county.  They were going to go back full board but non staff requested a slower approach and commissioners went with the slower plan.  
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
    LOL, forgot that one... the golden study if I remember correctly
    Additional lands. Now by permit only.
    My thing is that FWC has pushed the DMU model for "Deer Management".  In that they should commit to all management of deer should be set by that DMU.  If they are giving access to doe in that DMU then the WMA should have access at the same rate as the private lands in the DMU.  What we have is restricted access on public lands and no reduction of access on the private lands.  If people would do more to force commonality to all DMU participants there would be more balance instead of the public land hunter doing all the giving.  
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
    Why are the deer numbers declining? Who or what is responsible for that in 3 lakes? That's the real problem. What's the biologist for 3 lakes have to say about it? Wonder which one is in charge of that WMA
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    Public land and private land are apples and oranges.

Almost all of the private land bordering 3 lakes harvest deer less intensively than the WMA. I talked to someone yesterday who is helping manage the deer on a neighboring private property. Their deer numbers are quite different from those of 3 lakes. I don't see the logic in penalizing them for managing better than their public neighbor.
    What public neighbor would that be?
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    Email sent. I'll share response when one is given.

Almost all of the private land bordering 3 lakes harvest deer less intensively than the WMA. I talked to someone yesterday who is helping manage the deer on a neighboring private property. Their deer numbers are quite different from those of 3 lakes. I don't see the logic in penalizing them for managing better than their public neighbor.
    They may be apples and oranges but they are in the same 5 gallon bucket.  Lets not forget the MU in DMU is for "Management Unit".  This should be as granular as the States management strategies get.  The State management plan is not just based upon what is sustainable but includes a large portion of management by public desires.  All is good if the private lands want to have higher standards or actually do land management that improves the quality and quantity of deer.  That extra work does not give the private land owner more "rights" to the deer as it is Florida wildlife and not purchased or raised livestock.

Lets not forget what people are concerned with here is zero access to the general public even in archery.
    Email sent. I'll share response when one is given.
    Request how many doe permits were issued for private lands in that DMU and how many acres of land it makes up.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    The concept of not shooting does should translate into more deer over the next couple of years.
    weve been under doe restriction in that area for yrs now... many
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer

the land owner gets more $$$ for a good lease and wants to keep or increase the price...therefore they are managed different than public land..
     PS...and Mr. Green Jeans knows who to visit before Christmas.  
  • 139sst139sst Posts: 342 Deckhand
    Tenoroc dove hunt.
    we lost tenorac and got it back?