Home Off Topic

A good ending?

MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited October 2018 #2
    It does not surprise me that you consider it "good" when a person (who has been convicted of no crime) is killed because it saves the state (and thus taxpayers) money.

What happened to the presumption of innocence and due process?  

You're on a roll today.   Tough weekend?
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    MGTeacher said:
    In my opinion yes. Saved the Great State of Georgia a lot of money. Prayers for the LEO's family.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/suspect-18-accused-in-murder-of-georgia-police-officer-is-shot-killed-by-cops/ar-BBOJBiS?li=BBnb7Kz
    My guess is that you shoot an LEO, the responding LEOs look for an opportunity to take revenge.  Obviously, that is just my opinion.

Since I wasn't there I won't make the good/bad shooting call.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    It does not surprise me that you consider it "good" when a person (who has been convicted of no crime) is killed.

What happened to the presumption of innocence?  

He was guilty, and you know it. Quit causing problems.
    Plus he had a weapon.
    edited October 2018 #6
    MGTeacher said:
    It does not surprise me that you consider it "good" when a person (who has been convicted of no crime) is killed.

I know nothing of the sort.  I'm not omniscient, nor have I seen the evidence.  Neither have you.

Apparently that only makes one of us withhold judgement, Mr. Consistent, as my rhetorical question suggested.

Listen, I'm not causing any problem you didn't start with such a ridiculous pair of threads.  But I am concerned and wonder why you are so unhinged this afternoon.  Not get enough sleep last night?   Do your children, wife, and parents not share your political concerns and this forum is your outlet?  

Just curious....Mike
    MGTeacher said:

Listen, I'm not causing any problem you didn't start with such a ridiculous pair of threads.  But I am concerned and wonder why you are so unhinged this afternoon.  Not get enough sleep last night?   Do your children, wife, and parents not share your political concerns and this forum is your outlet?  

Just curious....Mike
    None of the above, but thanks for caring.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    Tafahree Maynard was shot and killed by police Monday after officers began investigating a tip the suspect was spotted in the Snellville area within the last 12 hours. Officers encountered Maynard in a shed and he “failed to comply with verbal commands,” authorities said. An officer reportedly deployed a Taser and found Maynard was holding a weapon behind his back, leading to a second cop firing his gun.

so what about that do ya'l approve or disapprove of, with respect to the shooting.
    MGTeacher said:

Just curious....Mike
    None of the above, but thanks for caring.
    edited October 2018 #10
    I don't approve or disapprove of anything.  I have no idea what happened inside that shed outside of the small bits and pieces in that article, nor presumably do any of us.

I just don't think that three people dying -- including the suspect in the first murder who is now dead -- is in any way is "good".

Now one might consider the suspect guilty...and one might say he got what he deserved because of that belief...and one might say it saved the state a whole lot of money -- as MGT apparently does.  

I do not share any of those beliefs.  I believe in innocent until proven guilty and due process FOR EVERYONE, and not say it's "good" when two alleged murders are followed by another death because it's cheap justice.

Don't you?
    that's why i asked the question from a different perspective.

do you approve or disapprove of the shoot, not from killing a bad guy and saving money, it fact, is shouldn't matter what the charges are, based on the account of what happened in the shed, was it a good shoot?

do you approve or disapprove of the shoot, not from killing a bad guy and saving money, it fact, is shouldn't matter what the charges are, based on the account of what happened in the shed, was it a good shoot?

I generally disapprove of any killing. 
    edited October 2018 #13

I don't approve or disapprove of things based on limited information, but I will say this:

From the information we have, it appears to be justified, but really we're just guessing based on at best extremely limited second hand information.

I'd prefer for the justice system to figure that out.  That's one of the reasons we have it.  

Perhaps we should let it work rather than speculate and then argue over the speculation.

How's that for an idea?
    nice moral high road you're taking there.  makes you look very enlightened, doesn't it???
    We are hearing only one side of the story, and since dead men don't talk, one side is all we will ever have.
    forensic tells a pretty detailed story as well
    edited October 2018 #17
    nice moral high road you're taking there.  makes you look very enlightened, doesn't it???
    Moral high road?  Enlightened?

Yeah, like our founding fathers.

A novel concept indeed to those who can read a news article and judge if a shoot was a "good" or a "bad" one...or if the accused murder was guilty.

I'll take that enlightened moral high road every day, and wish you safe travels on the low road, I suppose.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,873 Captain
    It's a shame he didn't get blown away the first time. I don't give a rats **** about punk **** dying....
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
    DOCKSIDE said:
    It's a shame he didn't get blown away the first time. I don't give a rats **** about punk **** dying....
    He was probably fellow that should not have owned firearms, yet had one and killed an LEO.  Oh well, what are you gonna do.... express outrage.....
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,774 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    DOCKSIDE said:
    He was probably fellow that should not have owned firearms, yet had one and killed an LEO.  Oh well, what are you gonna do.... express outrage.....
    Are you saying the state gave him a permit?
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Here’s a thought,,,
    dont shoot a cop. 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,665 Admiral

I don't approve or disapprove of things based on limited information, but I will say this:

From the information we have, it appears to be justified, but really we're just guessing based on at best extremely limited second hand information.

I'd prefer for the justice system to figure that out.  That's one of the reasons we have it.  

Perhaps we should let it work rather than speculate and then argue over the speculation.

How's that for an idea?
    It doesn't feel you take the same stance with sexual assault claims.  I recall your stance being more that false accusations are rare, so we should take allegations as probably being true....  why the change of heart in this situation? 

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    It doesn't fit his narrative.
    MGTeacher said:
    It doesn't fit his narrative.
    Not just him, but others as well.  Quick to believe Ford, but in this case allegations don't carry weight, it should play out in court...  Quick mindset shift.  And I agree, it seems to be agenda based.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    DOCKSIDE said:
    Are you saying the state gave him a permit?
     I speculated that he probably should not have owned a firearm,

edited October 2018 #26
    kellercl said:

How's that for an idea?
    It doesn't feel you take the same stance with sexual assault claims.  I recall your stance being more that false accusations are rare, so we should take allegations as probably being true....  why the change of heart in this situation? 
    I did say false accusations are rare, but I never said "we should take allegations as probably being true".

Why do you make things up that I never said nor inferred?

It doesn't fit your agenda based narrative, apparently.
    edited October 2018 #27
    Or the more reasonable explanation is the thread was deleted and I'm going off memory.  Either way it is a mindset shift on your part.  I note you aren't hammering "false accusations" are rare in this thread.  Just the Kavanaugh thread.

Edit
    Also don't you mean implied as opposed to inferred?

-Walter Payton
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,385 AG
    It is believed he had already shot a cop and had a gun on him. I have no issue with the cops shooting him. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    What if he didn't shoot a cop?  And the gun was not on him but was planted? 

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 871 Officer

Shoudve used this guy again
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
    edited October 2018 #31
    kellercl said:
    Or the more reasonable explanation is the thread was deleted and I'm going off memory.  Either way it is a mindset shift on your part.  I note you aren't hammering "false accusations" are rare in this thread.  Just the Kavanaugh thread.

Edit
    Also don't you mean implied as opposed to inferred?
    Yes, that's a more reasonable explanation, even if I believe your agenda was just as you suggested now twice -- to show I'm flip flopping.

However, I don't see the change.  I am suggesting we apply the same measure to both issues.   I'm not hammering the false allegations angle here not because of some perceived mind shift, but rather because nobody is hammering that point here like they were there.  And if there is any ambiguity, let me be clear:  We should take all accusations seriously, but not believe any of them without evidence, and we should gather and consider much of it as we can (preferably in a court of law) before deciding. And if I have stated, inferred, or even implied otherwise, I'd like to know where.

And yes, implied was a better word to choose.  Thanks.