Home Off Topic

UF vs UGA

frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
The Florida Gators moved up two spots to No. 9 in the latest AP Top 25 poll released Sunday. That's their highest ranking since 2015 and sets up a top-10 showdown Saturday against No. 7 Georgia. It'll be the first top-10 matchup between the two rivals since 2008, when the Gators blew out Georgia, 49-10. ESPN's College GameDay will be present for the event. 

Go Gators

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    I'm going Dawgs by 17.  Their entire season is on the line, they will be ready to play.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    I fear you both are correct. They are simply better than us on both sides of the ball. But, you never know. Hope like hell we are wrong, but they are stacked. It won’t  be long before we are right there though 
    Go Gators 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,954 Admiral
    GA Defense will be too much for Franks. UGA wins. 33-13

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,603 Moderator
    I hope Florida kicks their butt.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    Go Gators & THWG!
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,353 Admiral
    Guys I don't know if we are ready of not, but what I do know is LSU gave us a blueprint on how to beat them. Stop the run and Fromm does not have the weapons to beat you with the pass. Then pressure the fire out of him. I am optimistic about this one now!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,351 AG
    If our defense shows up, we can hold the Georgia offense. But I doubt our offense will score much against Georgia. I hope the Gators win, but afraid they will lose, 

Georgia 24
    Gators 10

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,940 Captain
    Go Gators & THWG!
    Go Dawgs! 
    Where did THWG come from? Did Reck start that?
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Reck said it, but it's older even than he was
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited October 2018 #12
    jcbcpa said:
    Go Gators & THWG!
    Go Dawgs! 
    Where did THWG come from? Did Reck start that?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean,_Old-Fashioned_Hate

It goes back to the Georgia Tech fight song and the rivalry between UGA and GT -- all the way to like 1910 or something.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,353 Admiral
    If I'm going down, I'm going down swinging. GO GATORS!!!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Spineyman said:
    Guys I don't know if we are ready of not, but what I do know is LSU gave us a blueprint on how to beat them. Stop the run and Fromm does not have the weapons to beat you with the pass. Then pressure the fire out of him. I am optimistic about this one now!

Florida football: A deeper dive into how Florida's run defense matches up with Georgia's power run game

Florida’s defense enters the Cocktail Party ranked 31st nationally in total defense and 19th in S&P+ defense, solid numbers that profile the Gators as clearly the second-best statistical defense Georgia has faced this season.

The rosy statistical profile suffers from two problems.

First, Florida doesn’t tackle well, ranking 11th in the SEC in tackle rate, a big reason Florida was steamrolled at home by Benny Snell Jr. and Kentucky (303 yards rushing on only 41 Wildcats carries. Florida has missed double-digit tackles in multiple football games this season (Kentucky, Mississippi State, Colorado State) and if they do that Saturday at TIAA Bank Field, they’ll leave with a second loss.

Second, somewhat because Florida struggles to tackle, the Gators’ rushing defense ranks an alarming 50th nationally and 56th in S&P+ rushing defense. Those numbers are very ordinary and even more concerning when you consider the Gators are 67th nationally in surrendering runs of 10 yards or more on the ground (14.2% of all opponent rushing attempts.)

That is how LSU managed to seize a late lead against Florida — by busting big seam runs after being corralled most the football game; it is also how Benny Snell Jr. and Kentucky salted the Gators away despite a furious Gators comeback.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/florida-football-a-deeper-dive-into-how-floridas-run-defense-matches-up-with-georgias-power-run-game/

I want Florida to get decimated, only because I find CAD annoying with his Florida love.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    I want Florida to get decimated, only because I find CAD annoying with his Florida love.
    PERSONAL ATTACK

please leave this thread, tyia
    kellercl said:
    Me with my Florida love? I am not the guy trying to claim my fairly good team is national championship caliber. 

i am honest enough to admit the Gators are that good this year. I am amazed we are in the top ten. I don't think we should be there personally, We are probably a top 25 team barely, but not a top ten, I think Mullen is one hell of a coach, but he hasn't got as lot to work with this year. 

Mini Mart Magnate

frank said:
    kellercl said:
    PERSONAL ATTACK

please leave this thread, tyia
    Let him be, the poor guy is a UCF fan. like his team....

Mini Mart Magnate

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,671 Admiral
    UCF ought to play GA. I know it's not possible though.  They already have 2022 schedules posted.
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    Me with my Florida love? I am not the guy trying to claim my fairly good team is national championship caliber. 

i am honest enough to admit the Gators are that good this year. I am amazed we are in the top ten. I don't think we should be there personally, We are probably a top 25 team barely, but not a top ten, I think Mullen is one hell of a coach, but he hasn't got as lot to work with this year. 

Correction, I'm an OSU fan and want to see the playoffs expanded to 8.  

-Walter Payton
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!

I hope the jorts wearing hicks from Gainesville blow them out.

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,318 Captain
    Gator defense............. decent/good
    Gator offense.............. meh

Dawgs win.
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

WINNING!
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,954 Admiral
    This should be a slaughter by UGA . As long as UGA protects the ball this game should be over by halftime. That said it's a rivalry game so you never know. Hope my Alma Mater does't take the goats to lightly. 
    They won't.  Neither team ever does no matter how good or bad the other is. 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    GOAT= greatest of all time!!!!
    thanks for the compliment conch fritter  :D
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    UF comes to play, Defense stops UGA, helps out the Offense, takes some pressure off the slow and go gator offense. You have to admitt, UF's offense is a few hundred times better than last year. 
    UF squeaks out a tough win, after all they did go toe to toe with LSU and won.
    UK's game was a new beginning UF team with a sense of entitlement. UK wanted it more. 

For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG

No. 7 Georgia vs. No. 9 Florida (3:30 p.m. ET, CBS)

Spread: Georgia -7

The biggest game of the week is the Cocktail Party in Jacksonville in an SEC East showdown.

Dan Mullen has worked his magic in the Swamp in his debut campaign, taking a team that many thought would struggle to even garner bowl eligibility and lifting them into the AP Top 10. Florida has reeled off five straight victories following their week two loss to Kentucky, highlighted by handing No. 4 LSU its only loss of the season two weeks ago in Gainesville.

The big step the Gators have taken is offensively, where Mullen has taken a unit that ranked 108th in offensive S&P+ last season all the way up to 32nd this season. A big reason for that has been the progression of sophomore quarterback Feleipe Franks. Franks’ improvement has helped open up running lanes for backs LaMical Perine and Jordan Scarlett. Add that with an aggressive and opportunistic defense, and the Gators have become a real threat in the SEC.

After their loss to LSU, Georgia has no margin-for-error left in their effort to get back to the College Football Playoff for the second year in a row, and a loss here would also be extremely detrimental to their chances of getting back to the SEC Championship game in Atlanta.

Unfortunately for Georgia, Florida has the ability to cause many of the same problems for Kirby Smart’s crew as LSU did. Florida’s defense is just as stout, and should be able to take away the Georgia ground game, forcing sophomore quarterback Jake Fromm to beat them. Fromm is coming off one of his worst games since becoming the Bulldogs’ starting quarterback, and he’ll need a much improved effort this week to lead Georgia to a win. If he struggles, this could be the week that Smart turns to freshman phenom Justin Fields for some extended work.

Georgia’s defense has been unusually lenient against the run, allowing LSU to rack up 275 rushing yards two weeks ago in Baton Rouge. Florida averages more yards-per-carry and more yards-per-game than LSU, so they’ll try to dominate up front on both sides of the ball just like the Tigers did.

Based on the Georgia team I’ve seen on the field this year, this Florida group seems like a bad matchup for the Dawgs…

Pick: Florida 23, Georgia 20

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    JEESH! 

Forgot . . .

GO GATORS!

:)

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 

Last we checked, Georgia had lost its football manhood, while Florida had begun to find its way. Suddenly, the party full of cocktails known as Florida-Georgia (Saturday, 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS) looks like a shaker-full of margaritas. 

In other words, it's a toss-up.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/in-a-flash-the-florida-georgia-game-has-suddenly-become-a-massive-deal-once-again/

frank said:

Last we checked, Georgia had lost its football manhood, 

lol OK :Rollseyes
    That’s what CBS article says 

so....
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral

I might have to watch this game. It will be my first of the season. TO HELL WITH georgia! Go Gata.

I doing that stupid looking Gator comp thing with my arms.

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

Corso: Georgia hasn't passed a real test yet

This Georgia team clearly isn't playing quite to the level of last year's Georgia team that played for a national title.

The long-time ESPN analyst offered his thoughts on that and once again circled back to something he continued to point out this morning.

"I think their defense is good but they don't have as many superstars on defense," Corso said of the Bulldogs. "The quarterback is just as good, but I'll tell you what, it's a lot different team. They haven't passed a test yet. LSU was a test and they failed. Florida is a test."

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-Football-Lee-Corso-Georgia-hasnt-passed-a-real-test-yet-123812447/