pipeline - 100ft - 10-20-18

Went out with Captain Bly and a friend that lives right above where I keep my boat.

The day started out a little tough.  There was bait at the skyway, but it was all down.  No chance of netting it.  Hit the ft. desoto bay pier.  Nothing.  Last chance at the ft. desoto gulf pier.  Ugh.  Nothing.  Paul brought some frozen sardines but there wasn't enough to get through the day.  We cruised by the channel markers on the way out.  Nothing.  Saw some birds working and there was a buttload of fry but nothing big enough.  Finally found some on whistler.  Lots of cigar minnows and sardines. We sabikied enough to hopefully get us through the day and we headed out.

Seas weren't bad.  A little bumpy but much better than the last few times we went out.

We ended up hitting 4 or 5 spots in the area.  The last one we just stumbled on.  There were fish on all of them.  We ended up on a new spot we marked while cruising slow.

The freeline was busy all day.  We lost more than we boated for sure.  Something pretty big hit it once.  Stripped off a lot of line, then gone.

We ended up catching a big variety of fish, some I've never caught before.  Here's the list: red grouper, gag grouper, black grouper, strawberry grouper, scamp grouper, red snapper (lots of these), lane snapper, mango, yellowtail, vermillion, grunt, triggerfish, kingfish, spanish mackerel, almaco, nurse shark, bonita, porgy.

The highlights were a really big mango that paul caught, nice king and a nurse shark. 

I came back the way I normally do, which recently has been through lots of red tide.  We saw no evidence of any the entire day.  No dead fish, no dirty water.  Nothing.

All in all, a fantastic day.

Replies

• SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 412 Deckhand
    Heck of a lot better than we did.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 991 Officer
    I chummed up awesome white bait yesterday at FD Gulf Pier. The bait at the skyway can be had with chum if current isn't strong enough. 
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,161 Captain
    It was a good day captain.  Glad to get out on your new sled.  It handled the seas great.  Had to do honey do list to make up for fishing yesterday so not sure if I am sore from reeling in fish or my wife's list of chores but either way, all good.  Got half that king in a brine tonight and going on the smoker tomorrow.

Tight lines..
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    FusionZ06 said:
    I chummed up awesome white bait yesterday at FD Gulf Pier. The bait at the skyway can be had with chum if current isn't strong enough. 
    We tried chumming a little, with no luck.  I've tried several times at both the skyway and FD gulf pier.  I've never had any luck.  Captain Bly suggested that maybe the chum I'm using isn't getting down fast enough.  The mixture I have does tend to float more.  I'm also not sure I'm patient enough.  Any tips would be very welcome.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 991 Officer
    trs912 said:
    FusionZ06 said:
    We tried chumming a little, with no luck.  I've tried several times at both the skyway and FD gulf pier.  I've never had any luck.  Captain Bly suggested that maybe the chum I'm using isn't getting down fast enough.  The mixture I have does tend to float more.  I'm also not sure I'm patient enough.  Any tips would be very welcome.
    You need to create little nickel size balls when you mix with water and it needs to sink down. You need to throw up tide. If tide is cranking chum eddies. If it's not sinking you won't get them. 
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,170 Moderator
    A great list, an assorted mixed bag for sure. Cool to see a carbo in the tally.