St Aug offshore 10/17!!

Myself and 4 others decided yesterday was too nice to go to work and that we MUST fish instead!  Got to the Vilano ramp at 630 only to find about 4 other trucks and trailers there  :# ????  I thought, did I miss something? Did the weather turn and I didn't get it?  Double checked the weather again...Nope, it was the same as it was an hour and a half prior when I rolled out of bed.  I thought it was odd being that it was calling for a nice day.  Oh well, went ahead to launch the boat.  Low and behold, two good buddies were also launching their boat.  I had gotten a call from one of them about an hour prior saying they decided to fish yesterday.  

So its 6:45 and 5 on my boat and 2 on the other.  We start creeping out the channel and making our way to the inlet.  Pressed east at first light and was half way to 9 mile by the time the sun popped up.  The other boat (Brad and Joey) was with us all day.  We had decided to try and get as far east as the weather would allow.  So we set out for 120'.  The ride was a little bumpy on the ride out.  We were able to run about 20-23 knots.  Arrived in 120' at about 9:15.  We did a few drifts and in about 45 minutes we had 1 trigger and 1 beeliner.  The seas were steady laying down, so we decided to push further out.  Got to 172' at about 10:45.  The drifting began.  Each pass produced a beeliner here and a porgie there with the occasional trigger.  We decided we would try to anchor.....very poor decision.  As was mentioned in my roll call the other day, the current was strokin!!  Got anchored but could get to the bottom.  I used 30oz and it swept it off the back of the boat like a flat line  :open_mouth: Pulled anchor and decided just to drift all day.  Drifting the spots, 10oz of lead worked.  Us and brad drifted the rest of the day until about 430.  We hadn't seen another boat the entire day.  We had a limit of beeliners, 8 triggers, 15 porgies, some seabass and a mangrove.  Brad and Joey had their beeliners and triggers and porgies.  We decided it was time to head to the hill.

The seas had laid down beautifully.  Flat flat flat, took us about an hour and 45 minutes to get back.  7 friends, 2 boats, an entire ocean to ourselves and the type of weather you dream of at night.  Couldn't ask for more.

Tight lines,  Matt

Replies

• Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,301 Officer
    Thanks for sharing..sounds like you guys had a blast!
  • StayinLazyStayinLazy Posts: 449 Deckhand

Snatch-Um said:
    Thanks for sharing..sounds like you guys had a blast!
    It was a trip like no other.  All the stars just lined up for crew, fish, weather etc.  It was much needed.  Been hitting the honey-dos around the house pretty hard
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 562 Officer
    way to go!
  • bigslickbigslick Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report. Cant miss a good weather window! Way to get on the fish.
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 88 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report.  Great info and a buddy boat is a great way to go.  Wishing I had made that call
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 215 Deckhand
    Nice Trip!
  • GuanagatorGuanagator MayportPosts: 373 Deckhand
    Good looking box of fish! 
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 1,097 Officer
    nice call!  congrats on a killer day!
  • Graphix GuyGraphix Guy Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    Nice report! About how far out do you have to go for 170' of water?
  • po28derpo28der Posts: 213 Deckhand
    That’s nice mess of fish. Congrats. 
    cftsmoke said:
    Thanks for the report.  Great info and a buddy boat is a great way to go.  Wishing I had made that call
    Smoke, buddy boat is always the way to go if you can, especially that far.  Just a little added comfort to the day.  It would have been a little creepy being 60 miles out and not seeing another boat all day.  This goes for you and anybody else, I usually put up a roll call before I go.  If anybody ever wants to buddy boat to the deep they are always welcome with me.  Extra safety and ways to make new friends.

Nice report! About how far out do you have to go for 170' of water?
    The spot I had was right at 59 miles from the St A Buoy.  Theres a decent drop off to 200 or so and it runs north and south.  
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 88 Greenhorn
    Thanks brother, I will follow your advice from now on. I would be lying if I said I haven’t limited my runs based on fear of the unknown.  I’ve noticed that it gets lonely after Labor Day- even 15 miles out.  You can expect to see me asking for buddy boats in the near future. I don’t care what is under your feet, mother ocean makes it feel small very quickly.
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
    cftsmoke said:
    Thanks brother, I will follow your advice from now on. I would be lying if I said I haven’t limited my runs based on fear of the unknown.  I’ve noticed that it gets lonely after Labor Day- even 15 miles out.  You can expect to see me asking for buddy boats in the near future. I don’t care what is under your feet, mother ocean makes it feel small very quickly.
    Check your messages, Ill PM you my number.  Get with me anytime.