Thinking of a new gun

gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,307 Captain
Tried a 6.5 300 Weatherby the other day and the gun is bad **** . No kick and shoots flat . I know its not been officially on the market that long but just wondering if anyone else has shot one or owns one .
living life as i like

Replies

• gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,307 Captain
    Guess no one has heard of it or tried it . Should be picking it up tomorrow . topped it with  NIKON 4-16-50V
    living life as i like
  • siconicsiconic Daytona BeachPosts: 19 Greenhorn
    I own a 6.5 Grendel, and it is also bad a**! AS much recoil as my 223, tons of energy out of an AR platform, and just fun to shoot. I really want to either get a 6.5 Creed or a 6.5 WBY bolt action now as well, so I feel your excitement.

As far as shooting is concerned, I do not personally have experience, but I have read people taking very large animals @ 1000 yards plus with that 6.5 WBY.

It is sooooo new though, and that is probably its worst drawback. Still a nice caliber!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,490 AG
    Buy what you want and makes you happy for certain but do you have places to hunt to make lots of 300+ yd shots?
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,334 Officer
    LOL! Unless something has  changed in the last 10-15 years the average shot on deer in FL was taken at less than 70 yards. So yeah, you can probably reach out and hit them with a 6.5 Weatherby! Years ago when I still hunted Bull Creek I had killed a little fork horn and was on the way to the check station. I ran up on this young guy walking down the road and asked if he wanted a ride. He loaded up and carefully put his monster rifle in the cab. Good grief; this was like some kind of crew served weapon! Macmillan sniper stock, camo everything and he said it was chambered for one of the then popular sniper rounds. ****!  I was embarrassed to be using my little Win Model 70 carbine in .243.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 649 Officer
    Ive got a 300 Weatherby Mag.
    Kicks like hell. Still love it.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,804 Captain
    edited October 2018 #7
    .300 mag. Weatherby. I love it. My Pops gave it to me yrs ago. Have a few stands that I can see a lot farther than I would shoot. Usually not much blood trailing involved. 

One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,708 Captain
    Have shot a 300 mag BAR. Wonderful caliber. 
  • jordinejordine flPosts: 52 Greenhorn
    Have a Bar in 300 WSM and it's a great shooter.

Love my Marlin .45-70 stainless guide gun. It's very good for what it's intended. For Florida hog hunting it's superb. However, it is limited. A .300 is much more versatile. 
    Love the BOSS system.

Per Browning:
    "Browning's Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System (BOSS) is a patented breakthrough in rifle accuracy. When any rifle is fired, the barrel goes through a series of vibrations as the bullet leaves the muzzle. The variations of these vibrations greatly affect the accuracy of the rifle. Controlling these vibrations will greatly control the accuracy of the rifle. Browning's BOSS allows you to control the vibrations of your barrel so you can shoot groups you didn't think possible."

Personally I have found It also reduces the recoil a great deal. Only problem is it tends to throw the tremendous BLAST back in the shooters direction. Ear plugs a must. 
    I have found the Browning BAR to be very dependable, extremely accurate, and hits like a mule. Love it!

" Ive got a 300 Weatherby Mag.
    Kicks like hell. Still love it. "
     In all probability the 300 Weatherby Mag is a little hotter than the 300 WSM. Regardless, the BOSS will take the 'hell' out of 'Kicks'.   Just make sure you are wearing strong ear protection; you will need it!

• EarlyPoint2EarlyPoint2 MichiganPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    No nice optics - no fun for me. There is no way not to buy cool optic for better sport. I bought this one ATN ThOR  , made my life easier big time.
    Fantastic if you can afford it.

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,613 Captain
    My understanding is that the 6.5 is basically the competition to and likely replacement of the .260 Remington, with a heck of a lot more oomph. The benefits of a .26 bore with a big charge behind it to make it scream. No personal experience with one though. I'm still clinging to my .260 Model 700 and hoping that commercial ammo remains available for it for years to come. 

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,444 Captain
    Ruger No 1 International 30/06
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,444 Captain
    Amazingly simple and effective
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,804 Captain
    harbison said:
    Fantastic if you can afford it.

Why?
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    Ruger No 1 International 30/06
    Fantastic gun.
  • nativetroynativetroy Posts: 306 Deckhand
     The new rounds are awesome. Have put the .270 pop gave me on the sidelines as to keep it the way it is. Mostly hunt with a 6.8 spc for the close work and a 25/06 for the longer shots.  
      45/70 thrown in for fun. I hunt the swamps and edges from central Fl to the panhandle. Regularly have shots past 200 yds. 
     Go to Ky and some of the ranges extend well beyond what I will shoot. 
    edited December 2018 #19
    Not familiar with 6.8 or 25/06. As far as I know the .270 is a non-magnum 7mm Mag. Heck of a round.
    45/70 Love the tradition as well as the close range knock-down power.
    Buck & Boar hunting Club, my home for 20 years, was thousands of acres of 'swamp' land. B&B was, and still is, loaded with hogs.  Great for 45/70.
    Love my 1895 Marlin stainless guide gun.

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,259 Captain
    The old 7X57 Mauser is the equal to most.
    Not familiar with it. Would like to know more.