Home Off Topic

Internet Spped Test

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,712 Admiral
    p.s. sorry, keller, I missed that.  :)
    No worries, I like giving you a hard time.  You are like my second wife...  

On a side note I did find this:

"Re: How does U-Verse work? Cable? Phone line?
    Uverse is IPTV (Internet Protocol Television), which is delivered to your home in four streams of internet packets.  The packets are then sent to the stbs in your home where they are decoded and displayed on your televisions.  The RG (Residential Gateway) is what receives the services from the outside world and brings them in to your home.  The cables used to connect the RG to your STBs (Set Top Boxes) can either be coax, Cat5, or a combination of the two.  If you need more info I'm sure someone else will be along to add more info to this explanation.  Welcome to Uverse."

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited October 2018 #63
    Uverse has been IP for a while.

Still a bit unclear as to where the problem with his TV really is (is he connecting wirelessly, or perhaps has a bad coax or ethernet connection), but he clearly has a wireless problem, as the huge variance between wireless and wired has proven.

I'd be checking the connection to the TV and fixing the wireless problem if I were him.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,444 AG
    edited October 2018 #64
    II know that uverse is IP, but they usually use the cable to connect through the house.  I was trying to find out. if  he is running the uverse through his coax or is he using one of ATTs new wireless set top boxes. Since he should have a cable connection at the TV, the tech should not have went with a wireless set top box since his testing should have shown it was inadequate. If his set top box is hardwired, then the bad picture is not due to his wireless. If he is using a wireless set top box and has a cable connection near the TV. make ATT fix that problem and be sure he has a good picture there to rule out any TV issues. Then he can try a signal booster to see if it helps for regular internet. 

But his Uverse picture, if ATT did it correctly, should be effected by his wireless speed, '

Mister, I just thought of one idea. Go to Youtube on your laptop through the wireless connection and find a high definition video and play it. Is the picture better then your TV? Does it stream properly? Try this in the loft near the TV. 

I know it isn't 4K on the laptop, but if the laptop can stream 1020 and the TV looks like crap he could have other issues. 

Also, do you have other TVs in the house and how is the picture on them. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    Do the test already.  Otherwise we're just guessing.  :)
    Download 45.27
    upload  4.93
    Your problem is the location of your wifi.

There are a few solutions to your problem.  One is moving the wifi access point to another location.  Another is to buy a repeater.  Both should solve your TV problem, which sounds to me like a lack of bandwidth to your TV because of a poor choice of location for wifi access point.
    I was just watching TV in a bedroom downstairs on the cheapest 65" we could find at Costco, maybe $800.  I don't think it's closer to the modem that my TV upstairs but it gets an incredibly great picture. 
    Vote for the other candidate
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    Is this slow?

• Download Speed HELP 5.47 Mbps (683.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    • Upload Speed HELP 1.21 Mbps (151.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    • Latency HELP 25 ms
    How old is the coax and connectors in your house? Hopefully they will check them out or replace them. 
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    The picture is somewhat fuzzy, not sharp and clear, colors are not vivid.  I had an HD TV before this and it had a better picture than the new one I bought.  In all honesty, I should have done more research before buying it.
    Have the wife get up on the roof and move the antenna until the Johnny Carson show clears up.  :p
    edited October 2018 #68
    Mister-Jr said:
    Is this slow?

• Download Speed HELP 5.47 Mbps (683.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    • Upload Speed HELP 1.21 Mbps (151.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    • Latency HELP 25 ms
    How old is the coax and connectors in your house? Hopefully they will check them out or replace them. 
    The entire house was rewired about five years ago.  
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,466 Admiral
    Why has no one replied to my four point five download the worst of anyone. Do I have any options living in the country with DSL. It sucks!
    cadman said:
    II know that uverse is IP, but they usually use the cable to connect through the house.  I was trying to find out. if  he is running the uverse through his coax or is he using one of ATTs new wireless set top boxes. Since he should have a cable connection at the TV, the tech should not have went with a wireless set top box since his testing should have shown it was inadequate. If his set top box is hardwired, then the bad picture is not due to his wireless. If he is using a wireless set top box and has a cable connection near the TV. make ATT fix that problem and be sure he has a good picture there to rule out any TV issues. Then he can try a signal booster to see if it helps for regular internet. 

But his Uverse picture, if ATT did it correctly, should be effected by his wireless speed, '

Mister, I just thought of one idea. Go to Youtube on your laptop through the wireless connection and find a high definition video and play it. Is the picture better then your TV? Does it stream properly? Try this in the loft near the TV. 

I know it isn't 4K on the laptop, but if the laptop can stream 1020 and the TV looks like crap he could have other issues. 

Good idea.  I'm in the loft on my desktop watching this;

It's a better picture than I can get on any program on my TV including Amazon and Netflix.

edited October 2018 #71
    Mister,  How are the two TVs getting the video signal?  Via co-ax?  Wireless?  Ethernet?   I have kind of assumed your problem was wireless in nature, but Cad may also be onto something as he is quite correct in pointing out the things he has.

And remember, for wireless it's not only distance, but distance and the things that are in between (walls, windows, granite countertops, large metal objects, electric motors, etc.) .   You might walk around your house with your Windows laptop while issuing the command "netsh wlan show interfaces" and noting the signal strength -- but really under a granite countertop on the ground floor of a home is a terrible place for a wireless access point, and I strongly suspect that's the root cause of your wireless bandwidth challenges (i.e. 5mbps on a 50mbps line).
    edited October 2018 #72
    AC Man,  You're likely screwed, at least bandwidth wise.  DSL is typically the fastest rural broadband, and frankly you're lucky to have even that as it's hardly available everywhere.  You should be hoping for 5G wireless coverage in a few years, as it will be a gamechanger if you can get good signal.  In the meantime, here's a few websites that will help answer your question:  https://broadbandnow.com/ and  https://www.inmyarea.com/internet  Hope this helps...MIke

Mister-Jr said:
    cadman said:

Good idea.  I'm in the loft on my desktop watching this;

It's a better picture than I can get on any program on my TV including Amazon and Netflix.

As tarp said, how is the TVs wired for cable. I asked this once. Do you have a set top box from ATT?  Is this box wired into your coax? Is it a wireless set top box. Maybe you could take pictures of all the ATT equipment up close, especially how things are wired together. 

I have a feeling your picture quality ain't due to bad wifi, especially if your laptop is getting a good picture. 

How did you measure your wifi speed before? What does your laptop and your phone say is your wireless speed in the loft. 

I had a similar issue with wifi speed a while back and each piece of equipment gave a  different result. My TV still says I only get about 10 mbps. But the 4K picture is flawless. 

Did you set up the TV when you got home? Does it auto program? 

Mini Mart Magnate

edited October 2018 #74
    Mister,  How are the two TVs getting the video signal?  Via co-ax?  Wireless?  Ethernet?   I have kind of assumed your problem was wireless in nature, but Cad may also be onto something as he is quite correct in pointing out the things he has.

And remember, for wireless it's not only distance, but distance and the things that are in between (walls, windows, granite countertops, large metal objects, electric motors, etc.) .   You might walk around your house with your Windows laptop while issuing the command "netsh wlan show interfaces" and noting the signal strength -- but really under a granite countertop on the ground floor of a home is a terrible place for a wireless access point, and I strongly suspect that's the root cause of your wireless bandwidth challenges (i.e. 5mbps on a 50mbps line).
    TVs are connected to a cable box at each tv with  High-Speed HDMI Cable,  Co-ax from each cable box @ tv is connected by co-ax to wall connection to a modem.  Desktop and laptop connected to the internet via wi-fi located under granite countertop in the kitchen.  

Downstairs bedroom tv connected via cable box greats terrific picture, new ultra HD tv upstairs connected the same way, but drastic difference quality.   

edited October 2018 #75
    It sounds like you have two problems.  The first is wireless signal strength -- moving the box or adding a repeater can help.  The second seems like it is in the cabling to your new TV (although it could be setup in the TV or cable box, I kind of doubt it).  I'd check the coax and connections to the box and even swap some cables to see if you can get a better TV picture, and if that doesn't work play around with the display settings on the cable box or TV.  If neither one of them works, I'd call AT&T back and have them come out and when they do show the tech the TV signal quality on your two TVs and ask him to explain the difference.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,823 Admin
    Mister-Jr said:
    TVs are connected to a cable box at each tv with  High-Speed HDMI Cable,  Co-ax from each cable box @ tv is connected by co-ax to wall connection to a modem.  Desktop and laptop connected to the internet via wi-fi located under granite countertop in the kitchen.  

Downstairs bedroom tv connected via cable box greats terrific picture, new ultra HD tv upstairs connected the same way, but drastic difference quality.   

So the new LG tv is hardwired from tv to cable box to modem with no wifi? How do you get Netflix and Amazon on that tv? Thru the tv's own wifi?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    edited October 2018 #77
    nuevowavo said:
    Mister-Jr said:

So the new LG tv is hardwired from tv to cable box to modem with no wifi? How do you get Netflix and Amazon on that tv? Thru the tv's own wifi?
    The television came with Netflix and Amazon apps.  This tv replaced a Pioneer Plasma that literally had a picture that was a hundred times better.  That tv was used with Comcast Xfinity.
    edited October 2018 #78
    Your tv streaming apps should work fine.  I use mine all the time.  Get a better signal and that will fix that problem.

As for the cable box, here is what I would suggest.  Swap them.  Take the bad picture one and exchange it with the good one.  That will isolate if the problem is the box or TV.  If you take thr good cable box, put it on the new tv and it looks bad...  You have a setting issue on the tv or the tv needs to be returned.  If the good box looks good on the new tv, than you have a bad cable box.

Edit

When you swap the boxes, take their respective wires too.  You could have a bad wire.  Any chew marks from a cat?  Also might be worth using a different hmdi input on your tv.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    Go buy an HD antenna and see what the picture on the TV looks like. That way, at least, you can factor out AT&T.

Does anyone know if the signal from an HD antenna is 4K? 
    edited October 2018 #80
    Go buy an HD antenna and see what the picture on the TV looks like. That way, at least, you can factor out AT&T.

Does anyone know if the signal from an HD antenna is 4K? 
    Nope.  There is no 4k broadcasting to my knowledge.  Streaming, video games and disks are the only 4k source material I know of.

Planet Earth 2 is great reference material for those who want to see what native 4k hdr is like.  The picture is amazing.  

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    Your tv streaming apps should work fine.  I use mine all the time.  Get a better signal and that will fix that problem.

As for the cable box, here is what I would suggest.  Swap them.  Take the bad picture one and exchange it with the good one.  That will isolate if the problem is the box or TV.  If you take thr good cable box, put it on the new tv and it looks bad...  You have a setting issue on the tv or the tv needs to be returned.  If the good box looks good on the new tv, than you have a bad cable box.

Edit

When you swap the boxes, take their respective wires too.  You could have a bad wire.  Any chew marks from a cat?  Also might be worth using a different hmdi input on your tv.  
    That will be my next step.
    Mister-Jr said:
    kellercl said:

Edit

That will be my next step.
    At this point it will tell you the most.  You need to isolate the tv from the box/cables.  I would also check out CNET, and use their settings.  

-Walter Payton
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,356 Admiral
    I will tell you that the cable boxes aren't what they used to be. I have been through 3 in less than a year and need a forth now.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Spineyman said:
    I will tell you that the cable boxes aren't what they used to be. I have been through 3 in less than a year and need a forth now.

That's quite odd.   Is it in an enclosed space?  I had one go and it was because it wasn't getting good ventilation and it overheated, and thought I'd share in hopes you're experiencing the same thing.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,356 Admiral
    Not the problem here according to the cable tech.He said they have thousands that weren't  synced properly. He said the hard drive isn't synced to the box properly and won't last long at all. We went through 3 in two weeks and the one I have now needs replacing too. But when you do, you lose all of your saved shows that are programed in. So my wife said after all the aggravation she was not doing it again until it went kaput!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

edited October 2018 #86
    That is odd.  Sorry to hear about it.

If possible, ask the cable company for a different version of box....or get a TiVo.  ;)
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #87
    AC Man said:
    Why has no one replied to my four point five download the worst of anyone. Do I have any options living in the country with DSL. It sucks!
    We get 2.18 download speed on ATT DSL.  Regularly run 2 devices while streaming internet TV with no problems.
    edited October 2018 #88
    Mister, since the picture is crappy from both sources (I am assuming your netflix and amazon are through the wifi.), check out this LG help page and see if anything helps

https://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT10000018-1427811858381-poor-picture-quality

The picture test should remove any issues with wifi or cable and see if the TV is the problem. 

The website also pointed out another thing. do you have a DVD or gaming console connected to this TV? If so, how is the picture quality from it?

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    Mister, since the picture is crappy from both sources (I am assuming your netflix and amazon are through the wifi.), check out this LG help page and see if anything helps

https://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT10000018-1427811858381-poor-picture-quality

The picture test should remove any issues with wifi or cable and see if the TV is the problem. 

The website also pointed out another thing. do you have a DVD or gaming console connected to this TV? If so, how is the picture quality from it?

Thanks, Cad, I will try that tomorrow.  I don't have a DVD as I was streaming all the movies that I wanted to see.
    Be sure to try the picture test both ways and see if the picture is any different. One way uses the internet and the other doesn't according to the site. 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    Be sure to try the picture test both ways and see if the picture is any different. One way uses the internet and the other doesn't according to the site. 
    I have not had the patience today to fool with this today.  I may be sorry in a couple of months, but I think I'm going to call Xfinity and switch back.