Home Off Topic

Internet Spped Test

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,699 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #32
    You have a signal problem.  The equipment needs to be moved or you need an extender.  In my experience extenders are meh, I would move the equipment.  At 45 mbps you can easily stream 4k Netflix  vudu and prime.  I stream 4k to multiple devices at 60 mbps.  45 mbps is a very respectable bandwidth.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    edited October 2018 #33
    Also you don't have to buy an extender from them, buy your own.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,413 AG
    edited October 2018 #34
    You need to move the router, The tech should have never installed it there. 

Also, get rid of the **** cat. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    kellercl said:
    I'm going to buy an extender, any recs?

Here is my TV issue

https://www.lifewire.com/comcast-makes-the-leap-to-4k-1847029
    Vote for the other candidate
    edited October 2018 #36
    cadman said:

Mister-Jr said:
    kellercl said:

Here is my TV issue

That issue will exist no matter who your internet provider is. That is 4k from your cable company for cable programming. That has nothing to do with your internet. Your internet would be a factor if your are getting 4K from Amazon, Netlfix or other internet video source.

Mini Mart Magnate

edited October 2018 #38
    cadman said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    kellercl said:

Here is my TV issue

That issue will exist no matter who your internet provider is. That is 4k from your cable company for cable programming. That has nothing to do with your internet. Your internet would be a factor if your are getting 4K from Amazon, Netlfix or other internet video source.

I just switched the Amazon app on the TV, crappy picture.  I wonder if I get a Roku and attached to the TV, will I get any 4K using that?  Movies on Amazon in 4K?

• Advanced up-scaling of 720p for HD TVs and 1080p HD streams to brilliant 4K Ultra HD on 4K TVs
    edited October 2018 #39
    What do you mean crappy picture? Does it break up? stop and start? Explain the crappy picture. Your internet speed would result in a chopped up video starting and stopping. 

There is movies in 4K on Amazon and Netflix

Where do you get your cable programming, ATT Uverse or comcast?

Mini Mart Magnate

The picture is somewhat fuzzy, not sharp and clear, colors are not vivid.  I had an HD TV before this and it had a better picture than the new one I bought.  In all honesty, I should have done more research before buying it.
    edited October 2018 #41
    Dude your TV is high end and isn't the issue.  Your wireless signal is causing the bad picture, not the TV.  I would look at Netgear or Linksys extenders.  If your TV is receiving a poor signal (5 mbps) the picture is probably going to be 480p, 720p at best.  Given the size of the TV it will look blurry.  Additionally, at 5 mbps streaming will have buffering issues.  It won't matter what equipment you use, 5 mbps just isn't going to cut it.  Extend your signal and get your equipment at least 20 mbps, that TV will look amazing.  You bought the best TV money can buy, just fix the signal.  

-Walter Payton
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,459 Admiral
    The 4.5 I have is all my DSL provider can offer. There are no othe choices unless I go with sat.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 6,013 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #43
    Mister-Jr said:
    cadman said:

Nice cat, it looks like a linx. Which “brand” is it ?
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
    To CAD's point a consistent signal is imperative.  I suspect you don't have one.  

-Walter Payton
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited October 2018 #45
    Mister-Jr said:
    I'll try plugging my laptop into the router and see what happens.  I suppose I spent $2,500 on a new LG 4K TV and would have been better off to spend $1,000 on an HD TV.   

Modem location.  Tech says granite counter top blocks signals.

He is right.  GHz radio waves don't propagate well through stone.

Please plug it in and run the test and we'll know for sure though.
    Mister-Jr said:
    The picture is somewhat fuzzy, not sharp and clear, colors are not vivid.  I had an HD TV before this and it had a better picture than the new one I bought.  In all honesty, I should have done more research before buying it.
    Who do you get cable TV from? Comcast or Uverse? Do you have regular cable? Is your TV just getting over the internet television? Do you have an over the air Antenna? 

I am trying to figure out if you get a bad picture from all sources or just over the internet?

Mini Mart Magnate

kellercl said:
    Dude your TV is high end and isn't the issue. 
    Could be the issue if he doesn't have it set up correctly. 

Mini Mart Magnate

Mister-Jr said:
    cadman said:

Nice cat, it looks like a linx. Which “brand” is it ?
    Don't know, Bella, rescue from the animal shelter.
    edited October 2018 #49
    cadman said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    Who do you get cable TV from? Comcast or Uverse? Do you have regular cable? Is your TV just getting over the internet television? Do you have an over the air Antenna? 

I am trying to figure out if you get a bad picture from all sources or just over the internet?

The provider is ATT Uverse. The router is in the kitchen and the TV is upstairs.  The Uverse tech said they don't support 4K UltraHD

65" OLED Smart TV - 4K UltraHD

cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    Dude your TV is high end and isn't the issue. 
    Could be the issue if he doesn't have it set up correctly. 
    true.  He could (should) go over to; https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/

Find his TV, steal their settings.  That is what I do.  

-Walter Payton
    Do the test already.  Otherwise we're just guessing.  :)
    nice cat, BTW.
    Download 45.27
    upload  4.93
    nice cat, BTW.
     No one at home all day and didn't didn't want to leave a dog alone.
    Mister-Jr said:
    cadman said:
    Mister-Jr said:

The provider is ATT Uverse. The router is in the kitchen and the TV is upstairs.  The Uverse tech said they don't support 4K UltraHD 2160P.  They support 1080p and no higher.

edited October 2018 #56
    Mister-Jr said:
    Download 45.27
    upload  4.93
    Well your wireless is part of the problem. i hardwire the TV to the router myself, You don't have another jack to move the router to?

Uverse does not offer any 4K programming according to their website. You should still be able to get 4k from other sources if you get the speed up.

Is your Uverse channels coming in over the wifi as well? I wasn't aware they could do that. You are using a Uverse wireless receiver and a WAP?

Mini Mart Magnate

edited October 2018 #57
    You maybe guessing, but I'm not.  He did the test a page ago.  It is his signal.  :smile:

He needs to move the router or grab an extender.  He gets that signal up, his TV will look amazing streaming 4k content.  45 mbps is plenty, which is what he is getting at the source.  The problem is he is losing the signal due to weak wireless and only get 5 out of that 45 mbps.

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    You maybe guessing, but he I'm not.  He did the test a page ago.  It is his signal.  :smile:
    His Uverse programming and his internet speed should be two different issues. The tech should not have left if he could not get a good cable picture. Streaming over the internet is his wireless. 

Mini Mart Magnate

edited October 2018 #59
    Mister-Jr said:
    Download 45.27
    upload  4.93
    Your problem is the location of your wifi.

There are a few solutions to your problem.  One is moving the wifi access point to another location.  Another is to buy a repeater.  Both should solve your TV problem, which sounds to me like a lack of bandwidth to your TV because of a poor choice of location for wifi access point.
    p.s. sorry, keller, I missed that.  :)
    cadman said:
    kellercl said:
    You maybe guessing, but he I'm not.  He did the test a page ago.  It is his signal.  :smile:
    His Uverse programming and his internet speed should be two different issues. The tech should not have left if he could not get a good cable picture. Streaming over the internet is his wireless. 

I don't know much about Uverse, I haven't had cable in a decade.  But I was under the impression Uverse was cable via internet, not cable lines.  So I suspect his problem is still signal.  Comcast on his old TV looked fine, because it was cable.  

-Walter Payton