Home Off Topic

Internet Spped Test

Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
Is this slow?

• Download Speed HELP 5.47 Mbps (683.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Upload Speed HELP 1.21 Mbps (151.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Latency HELP 25 ms
Vote for the other candidate

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,354 Admiral
    That's horrible.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    37.2 Mbps here.

????

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,459 Admiral
    4.5 mbps

.75 mbps
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,416 AG
    it depends on what kind of speed you are paying for and what kind of connection you have 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Download Speed HELP 91.3 Mbps (11412.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    • Upload Speed HELP 10.68 Mbps (1335 KB/sec transfer rate)
    • Latency HELP 51 ms

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    cadman said:
    it depends on what kind of speed you are paying for and what kind of connection you have 
    I called ATT customer service and they were shocked at how slow it was.  Tech coming tomorrow to repair.

I became fed up with Comcast four months ago and switched to ATT.  The jury is still out.
    I was with Centurylink but had to switch. It was so slow it wouldn't even stream a movie. So I got basic cable and internet with Cox and this is the results.

• JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
    If you can get it in your area I would recommend Verizon Fios Internet. 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,700 Admiral
    Yes, that is slow.  61.2 mbps here.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 536 Officer
    82.9 Download 
    75.4 Upload
    Thats through my wireless. Frontier 
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
    Mister-Jr said:
    cadman said:
    I called ATT customer service and they were shocked at how slow it was.  Tech coming tomorrow to repair.

I became fed up with Comcast four months ago and switched to ATT.  The jury is still out.
    Standard DSL or fiber? If you are in their fiber area that is real slow. Regular DSL will vary by the plan you have. Did they give you the "if it ain't our fault we charge you money" speech?. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited October 2018 #14
    Cad is right -- it really depends on what service you're buying (and where you live). 

But really, that's pretty slow -- almost too slow to stream high quality video, but still fast enough for most things like email, web browsing and causal video watching.

FWIW, here are my results with Spectrum in Tampa (and Netflix streaming downstairs in 1080p):
    437.78 Mbps download
    Eat my dust, Conchy.  :)
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 6,013 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #15
    Cad is right -- it really depends on what service you're buying (and where you live). 

But really, that's pretty slow -- almost too slow to stream high quality video, but still fast enough for most things like email, web browsing and causal video watching.

FWIW, here are my results with Spectrum in Tampa (and Netflix streaming downstairs in 1080p):
    437.78 Mbps download

23.17 Mbps upload

11ms latency
    Eat my dust, Conchy.  :)
    Caught a 4K p.o.r.n. consumer  :D
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,904 AG
    That's very slow by today's standards.  Hope they fix it. You will feel like you got a new computer with everything loading faster.

In the new house our wiring was poor..  Spectrum sent a guy out and fixed it free of charge.  Had to install a relay booster.

Captain Todd Approves

20 mbps is kind of the minimum for quality streaming and downloads.  More in theory is better but most devices cap out anyway.  I would aim for 20 mbps, if you can get it.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • apprenticebaiterapprenticebaiter Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    179.2 down
    20.1 up
    Comcast Business pay for 150 down and 25 up.
    cadman said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    cadman said:

Standard DSL or fiber? If you are in their fiber area that is real slow. Regular DSL will vary by the plan you have. Did they give you the "if it ain't our fault we charge you money" speech?. 
    Fiber was laid in our neighbor last year, so I am going to assume that's what I'm using.  ATT is coming for the repair between 12 and 2 today after which I will post new numbers.  

Correct, "if it ain't our fault we charge you $99 for a service call."

About the same time I changed to ATT I bought a new LG 65" OLED TV and the picture quality has never been good.  I think it will improve dramatically after the repair. 

edited October 2018 #20
    Yeah 5 mbps won't produce a good picture.  I think Netflix, for 4k, recommends 20 mbps.  

Edit
    25 mbps is their recommendation.  Higher speeds are only required if you are downloading large files, like 50 gb video games.

-Walter Payton
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,904 AG
    Those are definitely not fiber numbers.

The beauty of "ain't our fault" is it's difficult for you to prove unless you know .

Captain Todd Approves

ATT fiber is 100mb minimum speed. 

Mini Mart Magnate

ATT tech shows up, looks around, does some testing and he said because of the location of the modem, I'm getting poor coverage throughout the house.  He looks at my TV and wants to know if it's 4K, I cannot get a better picture because they don't offer 4K.  

He says I'm stuck with slow internet speeds in my loft unless I buy an extender for $50.  I ask why didn't the installer does that when I changed to ATT five months ago, he has no answer.  It's really bad customer service, so I have to rethink and probably go back to Comcast.  

Lack of competition in any marketplace means the customer is going to get screwed. 
    edited October 2018 #24
    They don't offer 4k?  4k isn't offered by them, but supported via bandwidth, which only needs to be 25 mbps.  Also is your signal low via the wireless router or is your internet slow at the source.  Meaning plug something directly into the modem via ethernet and measure the speed.  An extender won't increase speed, it increases signal.  Two different things.  My knee jerk reaction is the tech is a moron and has no clue what he is talking about.  

-Walter Payton
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    kellercl said:
    They don't offer 4k?  4k isn't offered by them, but supported via bandwidth, which only needs to be 25 mbps.  Also is your signal low via the wireless router or is your internet slow at the source.  Meaning plug something directly into the modem via ethernet and measure the speed.  An extender won't increase speed, it increases signal.  Two different things.  My knee jerk reaction is the tech is a moron and has no clue what he is talking about.  
    ^ this
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    ATT tech shows up, looks around, does some testing and he said because of the location of the modem, I'm getting poor coverage throughout the house.  He looks at my TV and wants to know if it's 4K, I cannot get a better picture because they don't offer 4K.  

He says I'm stuck with slow internet speeds in my loft unless I buy an extender for $50.  I ask why didn't the installer does that when I changed to ATT five months ago, he has no answer.  It's really bad customer service, so I have to rethink and probably go back to Comcast.  

Lack of competition in any marketplace means the customer is going to get screwed. 
    Plug your computer directly into your wireless router (via ethernet) and do speedtest again.  That should help us tell you what the real problem is.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,447 AG
    I'm glad I saw this thread.
    Reminded me to cancel cable, so finally cut the cord this morning. 
    Keeping internet (Spectrum) as there's nothing even close currently.  What a ripoff... $70/month.  But it's fast.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    I'll try plugging my laptop into the router and see what happens.  I suppose I spent $2,500 on a new LG 4K TV and would have been better off to spend $1,000 on an HD TV.   

Modem location.  Tech says granite counter top blocks signals.

• snipes27snipes27 Posts: 105 Deckhand
    298 mb/s down
    22.1 mb/s up

just an idea... move that set up to a more open area.. the best set-up is wide open, least amount of walls/cabinets/etc that signal has to pass through the better. 
    If your laptop runs fast at the source you can either move the modem to an open area or buy an extender.

-Walter Payton
    Plugged into modem

Ping  25
    Download 45.27
    upload  4.93