Home General Hunting

Broadmoor Marsh Gator Hunt

Max 4HDMax 4HD Posts: 15 Greenhorn
Last year my 16 year old son told me he wouldn’t gator/duck hunt anymore with me out of our 12 foot Jon boat with a 6 hp longtail mud motor. So, I passed it on to a friend to use with his much younger, and smaller, son.
A much better fit, for sure.

In its place I bought a used 16 foot boat with an used 18 hp long tail from Lamar Cox.

The “maiden hunt” in our new to us hunting rig was this past Saturday night in Broadmoor Marsh.

The experience was like night & day.

In my old boat, one had to don knee pads & kneel on the front seat, holding the harpoon & balancing. On our new rig, there is a railing to lean on. Much more comfortable & safer.

Another great father & son Florida memory was made.

Cheers

Replies

• ibhuntngibhuntng Posts: 90 Deckhand
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    Great times with kids is priceless.  It is getting much harder for me now that mine have their own house and busy work lives.  Ready but not ready for grandkids.  Congratz on the gator on that first hunt.  

One day I would like to run one just to see how much more trouble I can find,  
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,495 AG
    Nice work DJ !  

Did Eddie harpoon him? 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,434 Officer
    Well done Dad!
  • Max 4HDMax 4HD Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    duckmanJR said:
    Nice work DJ !  

Did Eddie harpoon him? 

said:
    Nice work DJ !  

Did Eddie harpoon him? 
    Yes, he did!

Heading out again to Broadmoor this weekend to hopefully fill my last tag.

I’m taking out a friend of mine who is flying in from Colorado for his first gator hunt. I’m repaying a debt I owe him for taking me on my first ice fishing expedition this past February on Lake Granby.

Cheers